Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
maybe a stupid question so bear with me but when do the 2024 models come out? Late 2023? After the 2023 models are sold?
Mid November usually for Model S.
Just remember, it is typically a VIN change and that is it. Not a big model change like traditional manufactures. Tesla is constantly improving the vehicle and makes changes to the production week after week.

New to the community and the car. Ordered my first Tesla, MS ordered 9/10, within 30 minutes, I had a VIN assigned and delivery schedule SMS' arrived. Picking up on 9/22. Asked SA what the build date for my VIN was, they said 8/31.

I was just surprised how fast that was from the time I ordered it, and that inventory (new) on the website did not show my car combos within 200 miles. Excited to pick up but a little anxiety too... first time EV/Tesla car and I do like a "little" human contact :)

New to the community and the car. Ordered my first Tesla, MS ordered 9/10, within 30 minutes, I had a VIN assigned and delivery schedule SMS' arrived. Picking up on 9/22. Asked SA what the build date for my VIN was, they said 8/31.

I was just surprised how fast that was from the time I ordered it, and that inventory (new) on the website did not show my car combos within 200 miles. Excited to pick up but a little anxiety too... first time EV/Tesla car and I do like a "little" human contact :)

Visit the store again and meet with your SA. Insist on at least 30 minutes of inspection, with the car open, before you accept delivery.

Don't be afraid to reject, and don't expect them to fix anything but the most minor issues.

Visit the store again and meet with your SA. Insist on at least 30 minutes of inspection, with the car open, before you accept delivery.

Don't be afraid to reject, and don't expect them to fix anything but the most minor issues.
Prudent advice and much appreciated. My SA was in a different location, and my pick up in at a Service Center location, I have been told there will be other Tesla employees there that will show me to my car. I do plan to inspect and am building my checklist from reading various posts on here and other people's experience.

So,
1. If I find something major, I can reject the car - but not sure how I am supposed do so? Will that be through the app? Do I not need to accept the car in the app and only then do I get my keys/access to the car? This is in Dallas, TX and hence these extra rules as they cannot sell the vehicle in the state? I am a bit fuzzy about this particular process and steps.

2. If there are minor issues, do I create a service request or ticket via the app?

Prudent advice and much appreciated. My SA was in a different location, and my pick up in at a Service Center location, I have been told there will be other Tesla employees there that will show me to my car. I do plan to inspect and am building my checklist from reading various posts on here and other people's experience.

So,
1. If I find something major, I can reject the car - but not sure how I am supposed do so? Will that be through the app? Do I not need to accept the car in the app and only then do I get my keys/access to the car? This is in Dallas, TX and hence these extra rules as they cannot sell the vehicle in the state? I am a bit fuzzy about this particular process and steps.

2. If there are minor issues, do I create a service request or ticket via the app?

I'm not in Texas, but if you see something you don't like, just walk away.

Individuals have had different experiences throughout the buying process. Just be kind to your SA and deliver employees and let them know your desires. They should unlock the car from their app and grant you access to inspect the car. Once you accept, you will do so through the app and it will grant you the ability to control the car fully from your Tesla app. Keycards should be inside, but do not be surprised if the delivery team takes them out when you go to inspect.

To reject, you just walk away and inform the delivery team.
Yes, you should file a service request within 24 hours for all delivery day findings.

The Tesla buying experience is minimalist, like the car interiors are. It's not the Porsche European Delivery experience or anything remotely like it. At the Sunnyvale delivery center, half the place was under construction and the waiting area didn't even have a functional water dispenser. If you're looking for something very involved here, it would be rather disappointing.

When I got my first S at the Fremont factory, the SAs were just ok. Nothing bad, nothing I'd really remember later. I did get a bunch of swag then - still have the umbrella and a couple of other things. Back then, the only Teslas were Ss and buyers were still a niche.

Nowadays at least in the Bay Area, you can't swing a cat without hitting half a dozen Teslas. The SAs are seemingly just the same as 7+ years ago - helpful and not hard to deal with at all, but you have to ask for what you want. I wanted to inspect and do a walk-around of my car, and the delivery advisor unhesitatingly agreed.

S and X buyers are still niche - the only S (mine) and X in the delivery lot were covered up and the delivery experience was just a bit more hands on and detailed. No swag this time tho. Asked the SA about it by text, got ignored. And oh, just key CARDS ? Not even just one fob ? The humiliation. Oh well, at least the umbrella still works but my son's long since outgrown the onesie.

Reactions: cwanja
Great advice guys! @cwanja @aerodyne

if you think of anything else or day 0, day 1 or day 2 tips... please continue sharing.

I am a sponge right now, absorbing all the great advice.
Not sure if you have a delivery pickup list, but here is what we started when the refresh deliveries started having common issues.

Reactions: aerodyne and Bull
I ordered an MSP on 9/4 and applied for the FSD Transfer. Yesterday - my delivery date had changed to 9/22-9/30 (with no vin). Last night, I received my vin and my delivery date changed to 9/30-10/7. I've asked if delivery is after 9/30 will the FSD transfer still apply but the service reps I've asked have said they don't know. I guess my question is - how soon after receiving a vin have you received your car? just trying not to stress out and trying to see if delivery will be more than 2 weeks out and if I'll take delivery before 9/30.

I ordered an MSP on 9/4 and applied for the FSD Transfer. Yesterday - my delivery date had changed to 9/22-9/30 (with no vin). Last night, I received my vin and my delivery date changed to 9/30-10/7. I've asked if delivery is after 9/30 will the FSD transfer still apply but the service reps I've asked have said they don't know. I guess my question is - how soon after receiving a vin have you received your car? just trying not to stress out and trying to see if delivery will be more than 2 weeks out and if I'll take delivery before 9/30.
Per my understanding you won't get it if you don't take delivery by the end of this month:

If you already have a VIN assigned, I can't see this taking beyond the end of this month to take delivery.

1694731174459.png

When I ordered on 2/9 , the estimate was 'September/October'. Nothing ever changed about that. But I got the VIN on 9/6 and they texted me soon after to prepare for delivery during week of 9/11. I requested a weekend delivery so family could be present, and they offered me 9/9.

All the while it still said 'September/October'. I'm surprised at references to them reducing the $1000 loyalty discount to just $500 within days. Sounds like they got enough orders in that first week of September .

When I ordered on 2/9 , the estimate was 'September/October'. Nothing ever changed about that. But I got the VIN on 9/6 and they texted me soon after to prepare for delivery during week of 9/11. I requested a weekend delivery so family could be present, and they offered me 9/9.

All the while it still said 'September/October'. I'm surprised at references to them reducing the $1000 loyalty discount to just $500 within days. Sounds like they got enough orders in that first week of September .
I wouldn’t be surprised by anything Tesla does with regards pricing and sales. They offered the restricted 2023 Model S “standard” range (software restricted) for a very short time before pulling that, too. Doubt they delivered a single car, either. Then they just lowered all the pricing significantly instead.

Reactions: suraj1194