Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mold smell? What did you rigged up?
Dedicated thread. I put taped a pre-filter on until we can get the custom made ones to around HEPA and a shower dam to seal the front trunk from allowing water in.

Reactions: cwanja and Chuckled
1. That is very interesting on the sales tax, i had to go down to the friendly neighborhood dmv just 6 weeks back. Would have preferred this option. Good to know and thanks for this info.
2. Also, no major difference with home or SC pick/delivery. Just inspect to your hearts content and if minor you can have it noted for future repair visit but if you feel it is beyond your acceptance criteria, you can reject. Home deliveey has its pros and cons... Cons really being your "test drive" back to your house sort of tells you how the inital drive is going and if you hear unsatisfactory noises, etc. Though looks like you are close enough to a SC and can make an appointment. Just be timely and aware that you have 100 miles to make that inital quality assessment with SC (pls confirm with the delivery person).

You’re welcome and thank you for the insight!

Reactions: zoomer0056
I have an appointment for Monday because of a paint chip which has also put a tiny ding in the hood. What normally happens in this situation? To make it truly look as it should have, I would imagine they would have to have the entire hood repainted along with the fenders to “blend” the paint.

The car is perfect I’m every other respect and I now have 500 miles on it. With the amount of driving I do, it’s going to get more rock chips so I’m still thrilled with my new car, but it should have at least looked “new” without chips or dings until I put them there.

Honestly, had it not been raining and the car already outside in the rain when I picked it up, I would have simply asked them to make me another car as I have a perfectly good, though apparently worthless in resale, 85D to drive. But I couldn’t inspect the car when it was covered in rain and she said it’s no problem because I have 100 miles and 24 hours (it’s actually seven days) to find any problems…. I just thought, ok, I’ll look at it at home in the morning, not thinking that of course that eliminated the possibility of rejecting the car.

If the result of the appointment Monday is that they agree to repaint the hood, has anyone been able to instead negotiate a credit in the amount (or less) of what the body shop will charge them to repaint?

I have an appointment for Monday because of a paint chip which has also put a tiny ding in the hood. What normally happens in this situation? To make it truly look as it should have, I would imagine they would have to have the entire hood repainted along with the fenders to “blend” the paint.

The car is perfect I’m every other respect and I now have 500 miles on it. With the amount of driving I do, it’s going to get more rock chips so I’m still thrilled with my new car, but it should have at least looked “new” without chips or dings until I put them there.

Honestly, had it not been raining and the car already outside in the rain when I picked it up, I would have simply asked them to make me another car as I have a perfectly good, though apparently worthless in resale, 85D to drive. But I couldn’t inspect the car when it was covered in rain and she said it’s no problem because I have 100 miles and 24 hours (it’s actually seven days) to find any problems…. I just thought, ok, I’ll look at it at home in the morning, not thinking that of course that eliminated the possibility of rejecting the car.

If the result of the appointment Monday is that they agree to repaint the hood, has anyone been able to instead negotiate a credit in the amount (or less) of what the body shop will charge them to repaint?
They will fix it. A paint chip is a rather minor issue unless it’s a priceless painting. Highly doubt they will barter a credit for something so trivial.

They will fix it. A paint chip is a rather minor issue unless it’s a priceless painting. Highly doubt they will barter a credit for something so trivial.
In my mind it comes down to what they have to do to fix it. If, because it’s not just a chip but also a small (albeit very small, but clearly visible) ding, I would think repaint might be necessary. If it is, that’s a lot of money paid to the auto body shop. In such cases, I’m just wondering if credit (as in credit with Tesla, not cash back), is something they do.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
In my mind it comes down to what they have to do to fix it. If, because it’s not just a chip but also a small (albeit very small, but clearly visible) ding, I would think repaint might be necessary. If it is, that’s a lot of money paid to the auto body shop. In such cases, I’m just wondering if credit (as in credit with Tesla, not cash back), is something they do.
Hardly if ever. A minor ding can be removed with a simple ventless removal. The fact you are considering a credit apology it must be rather minor to live with. They will fix it and be done.

Hardly if ever. A minor ding can be removed with a simple ventless removal. The fact you are considering a credit apology it must be rather minor to live with. They will fix it and be done.
And I’m fine with that. The reason I would consider a credit is not due to whether the chip is minor or not. It actually stands out like a sore thumb. The reason I would take a credit for less than the cost of the repair is because I know there are more chips to follow. The red hood on my 85D after 241,000 miles has a lot of chips.

IF they were going to need to spend money making it right, a credit to be used for Tesla goods/services in lieu of restoration would be a win/win.

OTOH, if they made my hood look good as new I would probably have PPF applied to only the hood.

And I’m fine with that. The reason I would consider a credit is not due to whether the chip is minor or not. It actually stands out like a sore thumb. The reason I would take a credit for less than the cost of the repair is because I know there are more chips to follow. The red hood on my 85D after 241,000 miles has a lot of chips.

IF they were going to need to spend money making it right, a credit to be used for Tesla goods/services in lieu of restoration would be a win/win.

OTOH, if they made my hood look good as new I would probably have PPF applied to only the hood.
Hope they fix it
To your liking. Love to see a pic of this chip.

I agree, I would have them do paintless dent removal and just touch up the chip unless it is a big chip. I personally don’t love repaints on a new car.
Honestly, I dread the thought of leaving an otherwise good delivery at the SvC.

If you can go to a good PDR shop to remove the dent, and touch it up yourself, I will guess that PPF will cover it right up. Show it to your PPF guy first.

In 10k miles, I have 4 paint chips on the hood, but only one is noticable.

Honestly, I dread the thought of leaving an otherwise good delivery at the SvC.

If you can go to a good PDR shop to remove the dent, and touch it up yourself, I will guess that PPF will cover it right up. Show it to your PPF guy first.

In 10k miles, I have 4 paint chips on the hood, but only one is noticable.
10k and only 4 chips. Well I guess that’s typical SoCal roads. However, isn’t it time for a new ride. Maybe a 2024/25 quad-motor Plaid + with anti-vibration technology. 😁

Took delivery on Saturday morning the 25th in Dedham, MA. The car was outside on the Supercharger, and they told me to go sit in it and check it out. I found one minor paint issue near the left rear wheel well, and no other defects interior or exterior. Overall a quick and satisfactory experience.
An hour before leaving for my appointment, I put my 2020 Model S on the Lexington Supercharger for one last free top-off before the transfer. The FUSC transfer went through that afternoon, according to my app.
Now all I have to do is sell my old Model S; probably to a local dealer...

I drove my new LR that I picked up on Friday some more over the weekend. Getting tint now. Very happy with it. Again, minor trunk misalignment. I don’t feel like letting them mess with it. I didn’t feel any vibration when I got it up to 80mph. It did come with FSD 3 month trial which when I asked the tesla dealer about he said I didn’t get it but of course I did. Car looks awesome and I’m very happy with it and the 25K price drop of whatever it has been the last year.