Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The handles on my 2016 were super quiet and smooth. None of them ever needed replacing. The 2023 plaid definitely more noisy but also faster. Something to get used to I guess.
If you watch the teardown video, the new handle design is much better. The old ones would have failed eventually because of the unsealed microswotches. The new design eliminates a lot of moving parts and should be much more reliable. I think it also presents the handles faster and might have metal gears now, which could account for the increased noise.

Just be thankful the software bug that made the handles continuously pop out and close *while the car was locked!* seems to have been fixed .... That was fun.

I took delivery of my MSLR Ultimate Red. Everything was perfect. I was trying to find defects - but didn’t find any (or I wasn’t looking hard enough). The only thing I noticed was when the door handle presents or goes back, there is a whirring sound. The delivery person said it is normal. But I don’t remember hearing it in my 2016 MS 85D.
My 2012 has always had that sound when handles retract so think that's normal.

Anyone have any info on other models vin numbers? Did any Tesla get a 24 VIN yet or are they all delayed compared to previous years
I haven't seen the release of any '24 VINs whatsoever.

Personally, my order seems to be strangely delayed, as I ordered on Dec 6th when the order page said est. delivery at Jan - Feb. First EDD update said Jan 28 - Mar 10, which is where it is still at today. However, this gap between order and EDD seems 2-3 weeks longer than most, from what I've read.

There was a spike in Model S inventory today, and I saw several new MS including a couple Plaids show up in my area for the first time. I believe all are '23s.
1703173827546.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: aerodyne and teko
I haven't seen the release of any '24 VINs whatsoever.

Personally, my order seems to be strangely delayed, as I ordered on Dec 6th when the order page said est. delivery at Jan - Feb. First EDD update said Jan 28 - Mar 10, which is where it is still at today. However, this gap between order and EDD seems 2-3 weeks longer than most, from what I've read.

There was a spike in Model S inventory today, and I saw several new MS including a couple Plaids show up for the first time. I believe all are '23s.
View attachment 1001756
The large EDD gap that we are starting to see that appears to be end of January-February combined with late 2024 introduction is what leads me to believe that there is an update coming and retooling in factory which would delay the deliveries since nothing is produced.

Reactions: dn325ci
Oct20 order. As of yesterday my order still did not have a VIN assigned. I took a look at local inventory and saw that a Plaid with the exact colour combo I had on order had just arrived. I'm at a loss why an Ultra Red/Cream/round wheel/arachnid Plaid would arrive at my closest dealership months after I placed an order for the exact same spec when my order still hadn't even been assigned a VIN....

As I was mulling over whether to reach out to Tesla, they got in touch with me anyway to let me know there was a local car with matching specs avaiable. Decided to pull the trigger and I'm now taking delivery of the local one in two days. I was holding out hope for any new hardware to be announced that my open order might receive, but without a crystal ball I just decided to give myself an early Christmas present instead. It's a lease vehicle so if there are any big changes in the next couple years I'll just look at an early upgrade instead.

Hooray for Saturday delivery!

The handles on my 2016 were super quiet and smooth. None of them ever needed replacing. The 2023 plaid definitely more noisy but also faster. Something to get used to I guess.
The trunk opening and closing speed is also miles faster on the refresh (2021+) than on prior years.

I do find the door handles to be very noisy, though. Especially opening.

Oct20 order. As of yesterday my order still did not have a VIN assigned. I took a look at local inventory and saw that a Plaid with the exact colour combo I had on order had just arrived. I'm at a loss why an Ultra Red/Cream/round wheel/arachnid Plaid would arrive at my closest dealership months after I placed an order for the exact same spec when my order still hadn't even been assigned a VIN....

As I was mulling over whether to reach out to Tesla, they got in touch with me anyway to let me know there was a local car with matching specs avaiable. Decided to pull the trigger and I'm now taking delivery of the local one in two days. I was holding out hope for any new hardware to be announced that my open order might receive, but without a crystal ball I just decided to give myself an early Christmas present instead. It's a lease vehicle so if there are any big changes in the next couple years I'll just look at an early upgrade instead.

Hooray for Saturday delivery!
congrats!

The large EDD gap that we are starting to see that appears to be end of January-February combined with late 2024 introduction is what leads me to believe that there is an update coming and retooling in factory which would delay the deliveries since nothing is produced.
After more contemplation I think there is a more likely scenario. The delay in 2024 introduction is due to Highland and also delay in MS EDD in Jan-Feb is for the same reason. So there might not be an imminent update, but rather switch over to Highland.

Reactions: dn325ci
EDD Update -
Ordered: 11/25
EDD: Nov 2023 - Dec 2023
EDD 12/5: Dec 14th - Dec 31st
EDD 12/14: Dec 15th - Dec 31st
EDD 12/15: Dec 16th - Dec 31st
EDD 12/16: Dec 17th - Dec 31st
This continues till today...
EDD Today: Dec 25th - Dec 31st (Hoping for Xmas miracle)
Still no VIN

MSP - Blue/White - 19s - Yoke
I'd be hoping you would get it next year, a fresh '24

So what do I do ? Ask service? Is it the panel bolt or something else? There are so many threads about creaks and stuff its insane!
The insane part is that there are so many creaks and rattles. The Threads are just a natural outcome.

Don't waste your time with Service. According to Tesla, Quote: "The Best Service is no Service"

The low speed popping creaking from the front is not as common as other stuff, and no sure solution exists AFAIK. Some have lubricated the control arms or cleaned components.

Your problem might be uncommon. Suggest have a helper make a recording of the sound and post. I think there is a thread for low speed creaking or popping noise.