Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waiting for replies....🍿

I prefer the yoke but don't like having to use the screen to gear shift. I dislike the position of the horn intensely but that's not a yoke vs round thing. I don't prefer the yoke enough to spend $1000 on it over the round wheel and my wife refused to drive the MXP with the yoke, so from a family decision standpoint, if Tesla hadn't come out with the round wheel, we wouldn't even be considering another S right now.

I find it ironic that they charge $700 to convert from Yoke to Round yet configuring with Yoke is $1000. Seems like we should see lots of yoke / round even swaps since the hardware adoption can be done in the service menu.

Last edited:
Reactions: dsm363 and aerodyne
I prefer the yoke but don't like having to use the screen to gear shift. I dislike the position of the horn intensely but that's not a yoke vs round thing. I don't prefer the yoke enough to spend $1000 on it over the round wheel and my wife refused to drive the MXP with the yoke, so from a family decision standpoint, if Tesla hadn't come out with the round wheel, we wouldn't even be considering another S right now.

I find it ironic that they charge $700 to convert from Yoke to Round yet configuring with Yoke is $1000. Seems like we should see lots of yoke / round even swaps since the hardware adoption can be done in the service menu.
I think we don’t see the swaps because probably 90%+ prefer the wheel.

To those who have used a "hold", how does it actually work?

Meaning do you simply message Tesla and say "I have decided to use the 14 day hold" to begin a hold? Is a reason needed? Does the assigned VIN get deassociated from your reservation immediately? How do you come off from hold early? Do you come off hold automatically at day 14? Any other things to know?

Thanks
I requested a 14 day hold via the app messaging on 12/23/23. It was granted within a couple of hours via the app until 1/1/24 and the VIN was released. On 1/1/24, the hold came off and was pending a new VIN and EDD. I also was able to request to change my exterior color via the app with a quick approval. Currently no VIN and EDD of Jan 17-February 21.

Leaving 10% that prefer the yoke and now have a way to get it without paying $1000 giving the 90% that are stuck with the yoke when the didn't have a chance an opportunity to upgrade for free to Round without paying Tesla $700.
Sure. But that 10% is a relatively small absolute number and geographically spread out. Maybe 1% of that sample is represented here on these forums. Unless you want to make a tinder for Tesla swaps, people connecting is going to be a hassle. For most people who can afford an S/X, that $700-1000 is not a huge factor, and when taking into account things like warranty, most of those will be fine just spending the money.

Maybe when these cars are older and you have more sub $50k examples going around, you’ll see more swaps.

Reactions: sorka
You could put handlebars in the Tesla and people would get used to it. The yoke definitely makes the cluster more visible. The wheel blocks your view of the go forward go backward whoopdy doo as well as the little car icon on the bottom left of the screen. Driving with the yoke compared to a wheel is subjective. I would 100% prefer the yoke if the car was steer by wire. If it only took 90 degrees of turn to lock left/right, I don't think anyone would want a wheel.

This has been over a month in the making. Started designing it a week after placing my order. I finally got the USB-C cables in from China and finished it up. Powers my radar detector and phone charger which are both stuck to the back of the screen. I have way too much cable to manage between the box and the devices but splicing USB-C has never ended well for me lol. It's the ground strands that have always got me. Maybe I'll give it a whirl...

1704600886730.png

Reactions: aerodyne and ICUDoc

I finally got my new Model S back from the detailer. Matte PPF makes the Ultra Red look really nice. Looks great without the matte PPF thought too. Car is much more refined than the 2012 Model S for sure but yeah, the gear selector is a pain. Where I could quickly get into reverse if I pulled too far forward for example, I have to hit that thin strip on the left of the screen now and take my eyes off the road. And the horn is still a bad decision as you said.

The turn signals are fine if you're not turning but will get used to that I think. That said, I'd still take the stalks back and a real horn if ever offered. I don't think going to the yoke and eliminating the stalks has helped Model S or X sales.

I finally got my new Model S back from the detailer. Matte PPF makes the Ultra Red look really nice. Looks great without the matte PPF thought too. Car is much more refined than the 2012 Model S for sure but yeah, the gear selector is a pain. Where I could quickly get into reverse if I pulled too far forward for example, I have to hit that thin strip on the left of the screen now and take my eyes off the road. And the horn is still a bad decision as you said.

The turn signals are fine if you're not turning but will get used to that I think. That said, I'd still take the stalks back and a real horn if ever offered. I don't think going to the yoke and eliminating the stalks has helped Model S or X sales.
Get the S3XY Buttons! Paddle shifter style turn signals are a life saver. You can set up one button to toggle between D and R. Many options.

Reactions: dsm363
Seemingly random question - do most people here prefer the yoke or the wheel?
The yoke is an joke, a hazard to safety, and an example of what happens when the boss has no checks and balances . . . and plays far too many video games.

Parallel parking and even parking lot maneuvering becomes silly as your muscle memory from decades of driving becomes a guessing game of knowing where the yoke is.

The absurd horn location (common to both, at least from 2021 thru 2023 Model Years) is a jaw-dropping safety hazard as eyes which should be monitoring the incoming threat (e.g. drivers that cannot remain in their own lane in multi-lane turn lanes, semi-truck drivers that are distracted or sleeping and begin to shift out of their lane, etc.) are instead forced to look down to find and press the friggin' horn button. Worse, in roundabouts or in ANY condition where the yoke is turned, such as a parking lot, the horn is effectively unfindable and unusable.

There is also now a long pattern of yoke wear, likely due to the tight radius which exacerbates wear on the "high points" of the yoke.

The one advantage: when parked, a 180-degree turn of the yoke allows more room for legs as you exit and enter.

Otherwise, AVOID THE JOKE YOKE.

(The extra $1k cost likely just helps Tesla defray the extra cost of the many warranty replacements!)

Parallel parking and even parking lot maneuvering becomes silly as your muscle memory from decades of driving becomes a guessing game of knowing where the yoke is.

This is exactly why I prefer the yoke. I always drive with a single finger twirling the wheel for parking lot maneuvers and parallel parking. The yoke just made it that much easier being wide and flat. That said, my preference relies on the fact that I don't drive correctly anyways in those scenarios.