Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been lurking since November and want to share my experience. Some dates are approximate as they've changed many times, and I did not write them down.

At this point, I sold my prior vehicle weeks ago (I don't have a second vehicle), have been paying insurance for a vehicle I don't have, canceled work trips, taken PTO, and called in multiple favors for rides. I can understand some flex in schedule due to the storms and the importance of being patient. However, it is insane to have me scheduled for five different delivery days... it also seems the roads from IL->MI are fine based on my friends in Chicago and Indiana.

At this point, I am wondering what my options are, and a large part of me just wants to cancel this order and put my money elsewhere. As someone who buys new every 12-16 months, this has been the worst customer experience thus far, including the fact I can't get around without asking for rides (not many Ubers here). Anyway - I'm not here to pout; I hope these data points are useful for someone. Cheers.

MSP
Steering Wheel
Black/Black

Order Date: 11/23, estimate delivery at the time of order: Nov-Dec
Estimate: 12/18-25
Estimate: 12/26 - Jan 6?
Estimate: Didn't write down
Estimate: Feb-March
Estimate: 12/31-1/4?
Dec 28: VIN assigned (2023, 531xxx)
Delivery Day 1: 1/9 - Cancelled on 1/6, delayed due to transport
Delivery Day 2: 1/13 - Cancelled on 1/12, delayed due to transport
Delivery Day 3: 1/16 - Cancelled on 1/15, delayed due to transport. At this point, I asked what the deal was and where the vehicle was. It's been in the next state over (Chicago), a ~3.5-hour drive to the closest dealership in MI.
Delivery Day 4: 1/18, Cancelled on 1/16 (today), delayed due to transport
Delivery Day 5: Scheduled for 1/24 - 'shipping delays resulted in more shipping delays, have to reschedule'
I can only say for the past week plus we (in Chicago) have had -20 days and lots of snow so it doesn’t seem overly out of question. Things like this can happen when you order a car timed to arrive in the high point of snow/winter. While it’s possible to just drive getting car haulers to make the icy trek is a bit different. Cancel or wait.

I'm surprised they are charging for colors again. Doesn't that mean now that the only model X that is eligible for the tax credit is the stealth gray?
Yes. Which perhaps they’re okay with. I imagine most buyers would be okay with taking a color that wasn’t their top choice to save $7500. And there’s probably a decent chunk of X buyers who just don’t qualify for the credit.

We've seen this before. BOHICA!

But at least now I only paid 12k more in Oct '21 than everyone else did after Oct '23.
Yep. And now I’m $2500 ahead so the resale difference between 23 and 24 matters even less now. Especially since I’m pretty sure the lower advertised range on the 24 will also limit the resale (even if the original number is BS). Between that and being able to lock in my loan at 3.99 instead of the near 7 you see everywhere these days, I’m satisfied.

Reactions: aerodyne
Yep. And now I’m $2500 ahead so the resale difference between 23 and 24 matters even less now. Especially since I’m pretty sure the lower advertised range on the 24 will also limit the resale (even if the original number is BS). Between that and being able to lock in my loan at 3.99 instead of the near 7 you see everywhere these days, I’m satisfied.
3.99 loan is nice! I had a 1.24% loan on my previous Plaid. That was a good deal! I'm thinking I'll do cash on this one. I don't think investments will beat these interest rates.

It is baffling that they raised prices on inventory cars. How do they expect to sell them? I'm hoping someone buys that '23 before my hold ends. If not, I'm going to have to go inspect it and find some reason to reject it.

3.99 loan is nice! I had a 1.24% loan on my previous Plaid. That was a good deal! I'm thinking I'll do cash on this one. I don't think investments will beat these interest rates.
I'm not a fan of loans, but the one I could have got from my Credit Union, in March of '22, for 0.99%, would have been essentially free money.