Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So looking the EPA letter sent in 2022, looks like the rules really only apply to any mode that the car will stay in, so track mode and drag strip mode don’t apply. Previous testing was probably in chill mode then.

Question remains what the heck Tesla did to keep the same range on the LR if the tires didn’t change. Only thing I can think of is some of the energy saving features of chill mode (ie using battery heat to heat the cabin) now apply in all modes. And perhaps that’s related to the top speed reduction (need more heat in the batteries and motors to hit higher speeds or something)
And, interestingly, why they lowered the top speed while keeping the same tires. Unless there is something about the top speed that affects the efficiency rating. If so, what a weird rating.

Just received my VIN in the last hour for Model S Plaid, Stealth Gray, Arachnid wheels, autopilot only, and steering wheel. Ordered Jan 4 and accepted EPA change Jan 5. Estimated delivery is 2/3-2/9 (changed twice since Jan 4 - est. delivery range before VIN received was 2/3-2/23).
That's exciting! I ordered nearly 3 weeks before you and I still have a 5 week delivery window that starts this Saturday. Same model except for 19"s.

Question remains what the heck Tesla did to keep the same range on the LR if the tires didn’t change. Only thing I can think of is some of the energy saving features of chill mode (ie using battery heat to heat the cabin) now apply in all modes. And perhaps that’s related to the top speed reduction (need more heat in the batteries and motors to hit higher speeds or something)

THAT is the big question.

And, interestingly, why they lowered the top speed while keeping the same tires. Unless there is something about the top speed that affects the efficiency rating. If so, what a weird rating.
So I just double checked, the European sites are still showing a 250km/h (155mph) speed limit, which certainly suggests the speed limiter change is due to whatever they changed for epa purposes here. Tires would have been the best bet, except we’ve already seen an example with the same tires as before

So I just double checked, the European sites are still showing a 250km/h (155mph) speed limit, which certainly suggests the speed limiter change is due to whatever they changed for epa purposes here. Tires would have been the best bet, except we’ve already seen an example with the same tires as before
I think the 155mph limit in Europe was a voluntary manufacturer thing that the German big dogs had agreed amongst themselves to abide by. Now that you say that number, I'm recalling this limit for AMG and BMW super sedans from even 10 years ago.

I think the 155mph limit in Europe was a voluntary manufacturer thing that the German big dogs had agreed amongst themselves to abide by. Now that you say that number, I'm recalling this limit for AMG and BMW super sedans from even 10 years ago.
Yeah I think that is historically where that came to be a popular limit, and other manufacturers sorta copied it to keep the comparison up.

But I think it's noteworthy that the speed limiter decrease for the S seems to be a strictly US thing. For the Model 3 highland, the limiter decrease is worldwide.

Reactions: dn325ci
Tesla told me today:

"
on page 2 of the order agreement it states:

"If you make changes to your order, you may be subject to potential price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original Order Date. Any changes made by you to your Vehicle Configuration, including changes to the delivery location or estimated delivery date, will be reflected in a subsequent Vehicle Configuration that will form part of this Agreement."

You made the changes by not taking delivery of the 2023 model when it was avaialbe for you. As we no longer build the 2023 model, you are subject to the price increase of getting a 2024 model S.
"

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056