Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's ridiculous. So basically the "Vision" is what we will be getting, losing parking sensors--something that older models have. I'm starting to feel that the price reduction wasn't just for "price competition" lol.
The new Park Assist is better but I'd still rather have actual sensors. Just a really dumb move on Tesla's part to go vision route 1-2+ years before it was ready to replace all the features they already had.

Reactions: aerodyne
That's ridiculous. So basically the "Vision" is what we will be getting, losing parking sensors--something that older models have. I'm starting to feel that the price reduction wasn't just for "price competition" lol.
This was done well over a year ago and has nothing to do with FSD. New park assist is improving amd will continue to improve. Same will be true for Smart summon (which has never been useful) in time. Try not to read to much into it.

Just wanted to say something about this. Andrej Karpathy (Ex Tesla AI/FSD Director) mentioned 2 yrs ago in one of the interview with Lex saying that Tesla Vision can do distance measurement and there is no point having additional equipment like radar to measure close object distance; Radar was there when the tech wasnt ready at that time, its always their intent to remove radar.

Parking sensor(radar) are just older tech that works, but its redundant(Karpathy's word) when the car is travelling above moderate speed, but Vision can do all the things that radar can do at low speed, hence the decision.

With Hardware 4 and higher resolution cameras and more powerful onboard computer for processing the feed, on the current Model S, Vision will be able to do their job well. And also, without radars around the car, looks even cleaner and minimalistic imo. So, you are not getting an inferior car dw.

Last edited:
Just wanted to say something about this. Andrej Karpathy (Ex Tesla AI/FSD Director) mentioned 2 yrs ago in one of the interview with Lex saying that Tesla Vision can do distance measurement and there is no point having additional equipment like radar to measure close object distance; Radar was there when the tech wasnt ready at that time, its always their intent to remove radar.

Parking sensor(radar) are just older tech that works, but its redundant(Karpathy's word) when the car is travelling above moderate speed, but Vision can do all the things that radar can do at low speed, hence the decision.

With Hardware 4 and higher resolution cameras and more powerful onboard computer for processing the feed, on the current Model S, Vision will be able to do their job well. And also, without radars around the car, looks even cleaner and minimalistic imo. So, you are not getting an inferior car dw.
Sure, I think cameras work fine at moderate speed, but at slow speeds in parking lots and garages, they can't recognize everything, like walls, poles, bollards, bicycles, etc. Vision also only works when the neural networks can recognize the object and know it's size. It doesn't work for novel objects that it hasn't seen before. They also have huge blind spots that the ultrasound sensors didn't have. Like in front of the bumper. It's a dumb decision to save $100 in parts and not hurt Elon's ego.

I'm still planning on buying one, but I'm going to have to be more careful when parking and rely on backing in even more. We can see everything in the backup camera, but can't see in front of the car.

Reactions: JoeCal and fupito

If only vision could see through fog. From a fog driving standpoint, Tesla is one of the least safe cars out there right now. My $30K Prius has radar. And before y'all jump all over me about driving to fast in fog, you should always drive safely for the conditions, but sometimes fog can suddenly worsen to near zero visibility. I get off the road as soon as it's safe as there is no save driving speed for fog that thick. Having radar is awesome extra layer of safety. I really hope Tesla enables the already existing HD radar in HW4.

Sure, I think cameras work fine at moderate speed, but at slow speeds in parking lots and garages, they can't recognize everything, like walls, poles, bollards, bicycles, etc. Vision also only works when the neural networks can recognize the object and know it's size. It doesn't work for novel objects that it hasn't seen before. They also have huge blind spots that the ultrasound sensors didn't have. Like in front of the bumper. It's a dumb decision to save $100 in parts and not hurt Elon's ego.

I'm still planning on buying one, but I'm going to have to be more careful when parking and rely on backing in even more. We can see everything in the backup camera, but can't see in front of the car.
Tesla occupancy network already mapped the surroundings where your car is located(moving or not), changing location(ie moving slowly into the garage) in volume space will not change the objects' position mapped, so there is no blindspot, if not the recent high fidelity parking assist will not work, its the same tech that Vision is implementing.

Also, during the occupancy network presentation a while back, NN doesnt need to know what the object is, thats why often people posted a truck shown on the dash in real life its actually a large paper box in close proximity, as long as vision see "something" its good enough (for slow speed of cos).

Tesla occupancy network already mapped the surroundings where your car is located(moving or not), changing location(ie moving slowly into the garage) in volume space will not change the objects' position mapped, so there is no blindspot, if not the recent high fidelity parking assist will not work, its the same tech that Vision is implementing.

There's a blind spot in the front. You parallel park. No car in front of you. You come back and there's now a car in front of you but park assist doesn't really know where the back of that car is if it's close enough to matter. Same situation if there is a car in front of you but is swapped for another car later that is not the same distance but still close enough to matter.

Lastly, vision is not as precise at distance as US is. US can get down to less than 2". Vision might if the resolution is high enough but it doesn't currently plus it degrades when it's really dark.

There's a blind spot in the front. You parallel park. No car in front of you. You come back and there's now a car in front of you but park assist doesn't really know where the back of that car is if it's close enough to matter. Same situation if there is a car in front of you but is swapped for another car later that is not the same distance but still close enough to matter.

Lastly, vision is not as precise at distance as US is. US can get down to less than 2". Vision might if the resolution is high enough but it doesn't currently plus it degrades when it's really dark.
thats a good point, as for dark environments, i m more worried about the new model 3 that doesnt have fog lights, for model S we have matrix and fog lights so i think it should works fine, (going to test it out when i have mine). As for precision, yes US/radar is undoubtedly way more superior for very close proximity and i like my radar equipped Plaid, but drove my friend's non-radar Plaid into my garage, it works just as well, maybe a safe distance is always more than 2" off the wall/another car.

As for the parallel park scenario, Tesla probably has buffer zone around the car, meaning 1" on display is probably 3" right off your bumper, hence that will be a little extra room for driver error, I m not saying Vision is a perfect system, of cos there will always be edge cases, like the parking in europe, cars is like almost touching your car, and at that case i wouldnt use any sensors but skills and human eyes.

thats a good point, as for dark environments, i m more worried about the new model 3 that doesnt have fog lights, for model S we have matrix and fog lights so i think it should works fine, (going to test it out when i have mine). As for precision, yes US/radar is undoubtedly way more superior for very close proximity and i like my radar equipped Plaid, but drove my friend's non-radar Plaid into my garage, it works just as well, maybe a safe distance is always more than 2" off the wall/another car.

Just for clarification, radar isn't as good at precision as UR is. It is meant for longer distances out to hundreds of meters which is why it's such a great safety net for fog or poor visibility. The HD radar should be better at object discrimination at distance as well.

1000009611.jpg
the car was delivered today, tomorrow is my scheduled acceptance. They said they already sold one today. So maybe the EPA issue is state specific. MSLR black interior, steering wheel. Ordered 1/9/24