Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 1023772
Picked up ours today MSLR. Happy days!
1709413415749.jpeg

Attachments

• 1709413243836.jpeg
    1709413243836.jpeg
    697.9 KB · Views: 20
I dislike both. The yoke is rubbish for all the usual reasons, but I can’t switch to a wheel because it cuts off so much of the visible dash for me and many others - especially taller drivers. Annoying.
That's not because it's a round steering wheel though, it's because Tesla picked a smaller steering wheel than the old Model S and they designed the UI as if there was just a yoke there and have so far refused to change it.

The old Model S was fine for taller drivers with the steering wheel.

• Informative
Reactions: marksvend
That's not because it's a round steering wheel though, it's because Tesla picked a smaller steering wheel than the old Model S and they designed the UI as if there was just a yoke there and have so far refused to change it.

The old Model S was fine for taller drivers with the steering wheel.
Indeed it was. Of course if they made it larger it would be fine, but... they didn't. They dug their own hole here, and it's frustrating because I'm forced into the yoke because the steering wheel cuts so much off for me at 6'5". As you said, the older S had no issue with this due to the steering wheel size and UI.

Reactions: dsm363
I dislike both. The yoke is rubbish for all the usual reasons, but I can’t switch to a wheel because it cuts off so much of the visible dash for me and many others - especially taller drivers. Annoying.
If you say you can't, you won't...😁

I put an old phone on the dash and run custom SMT performance tabs with speedo and power. I'll bet you could position it so the wheel works.

Indeed it was. Of course if they made it larger it would be fine, but... they didn't. They dug their own hole here, and it's frustrating because I'm forced into the yoke because the steering wheel cuts so much off for me at 6'5". As you said, the older S had no issue with this due to the steering wheel size and UI.
I'm slightly shorter than you and it cuts off the headlight icon and part of speed limit sign for me too.

Tesla could easily solve this with moving some things around a bit with the UI. Shouldn't be hard for them to fix but who knows.

I strongly prefer a smaller steering wheel from an ergonomic point of view. One of the few times I'm glad I'm not that tall.

They should have made it so that the seat can go lower though
Definitely. I can't adjust the seat to a point where I can see the entire small display like I could in the 2012 Model S. So many unnecessary things Tesla changed to make a great car have some nagging issues. The car is far better now than before the takes a step back due to steering wheel and other issues.

A LOT of whining and complaining on TMC resulted in Tesla offering a wheel option. Very nice, awesome and you got what you wanted. However, now the instrument cluster sucks.

🤣
I asked ChatGPT how to solve this problem, it responded:

To improve the situation, it's advisable to articulate concerns in a comprehensive engineering design manner, ensuring that any complaints and whining are thoroughly thought through and address all components affected by a potential change.

Reactions: dsm363