Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My SA told me that the rumor about the bumper camera and other changes to the S is not true (with confidence), but part of me was wondering whether that was being said as a way to avoid me changing the order so I take delivery tomorrow as planned. I did a call shortly after informing me about a brand new offer where you get 5,000 Supercharge miles if you trade-in before March 31st. I'm locked in for the FSD and FUSC transfers so it's probably best for me to suck it up and take what was ordered rather than risk it for something that hasn't been seen in the wild yet. I can only hope there'd be a retrofit in the future, or at least the wiring would exist if there's a need for DIY. Beyond that, my only conflict is whether to trade-in my current S for a lower cost or just try to sell it private party for a slightly higher amount.

Have you considered getting the Highland instead at half the price of the Plaid? The new M3LR is a fantastic commuter car and perfect for 2 small children. You can get the Plaid next time when they’re grown and need more legroom. In the meantime, you’ll save $45K over the Plaid and $30K over the MSLR. Hard to have FOMO under that scenario!
And maybe by then, they will fix ARNR and have real RGB lighting.....😁

My SA told me that the rumor about the bumper camera and other changes to the S is not true (with confidence), but part of me was wondering whether that was being said as a way to avoid me changing the order so I take delivery tomorrow as planned. I did a call shortly after informing me about a brand new offer where you get 5,000 Supercharge miles if you trade-in before March 31st. I'm locked in for the FSD and FUSC transfers so it's probably best for me to suck it up and take what was ordered rather than risk it for something that hasn't been seen in the wild yet. I can only hope there'd be a retrofit in the future, or at least the wiring would exist if there's a need for DIY. Beyond that, my only conflict is whether to trade-in my current S for a lower cost or just try to sell it private party for a slightly higher amount.
Remember to consider the tax implications of having a trade in lower the baseline for the new car…along with the time investment required to sell private

Remember to consider the tax implications of having a trade in lower the baseline for the new car…along with the time investment required to sell private
Great points, though as far as I'm aware California doesn't give credit for trade-in like other states do, so I'd be paying full sales tax on the new Model S anyway. The only benefit now is the 5,000 Supercharger miles (apparently are valid for two years) which seems like a waste on me anyway because I'm transferring FUSC, though perhaps it could be usable on the Model 3 in my garage (which has only been on one roadtrip).

Last edited:
I have heard from 2 different people now at Tesla regarding the ambient lights and bumper camera. Sales manager said they hadn’t heard anything and didn’t see anything in the system. SA said it’s not true. I’m still skeptical. I have a car waiting for me now, I pushed the date out to the end of the delivery window then I’m going to do a 2 week delay and hope for a new vin with a car built after March 1. If the second car doesn’t have it, I’ll just take delivery.

My hope is that someone will post about their new model s built after March 1. Then we will know.

Last edited:
Reactions: ragweedd
I have heard from 2 different people now at Tesla regarding the ambient lights and bumper camera. Sales manager said they hadn’t heard anything and didn’t see anything in the system. SA said it’s not true. I’m still skeptical. I have a car waiting for me now, I pushed the date out to the end of the delivery window then I’m going to do a 2 week delay and hope for a new vin with a car built after March 1. If the second car doesn’t have it, I’ll just take delivery.

My hope is that someone will post about their new model s built after March 1. Then we will know.
I don’t doubt that one or both of these upgrades will occur eventually but this has been “imminent” since last October. This wouldn’t be the first (or second or third) time that “reliable sources” have been wrong about this (at least with the timing). The most likely window for this would be AFTER the end of the quarter, and early into the next one, not towards the end. Tesla ALWAYS optimizes for quarterly production and delivery numbers. I can’t imagine them disrupting this process. But who knows!

Great points, though as far as I'm aware California doesn't give credit for trade-in like other states do, so I'd be paying full sales tax on the new Model S anyway. The only benefit now is the 5,000 Supercharger miles (apparently are valid for two years) which seems like a waste on me anyway because I'm transferring FUSC, though perhaps it could be usable on the Model 3 in my garage (which has only been on one roadtrip).

What 5000 supercharger miles??

Just stopped in the Austin store - they said the Plaid is on the same truck as my LR, both en route.
Guy said it would cost me $250 to switch. I think LR is the play in that case because my gut was like F that…if I cancelled my order instead of swap I’d just wait until I could get the front bumper and ambient lighting.

I’ll likely need that $16K to put toward my wife’s new car this year…
So LR it is!
Hey Ryan, which Plaid spec? My ultra red plaid is incoming to the pond springs Austin location and I have a delivery scheduled for 3/11. I wonder if you'll get your S around the same time?

Took delivery of my 2024 MSLR today in Nashville today - vehicle was perfect. Drove it 2 miles to PPF shop for drop off. Getting full XPEL Stealth Wrap and XR Plus window tint. Will post pics when I get it back (hopefully Thursday).

IMG_2273.jpeg