Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dumb question. Is the space under the 17" touchscreen that holds two phones supposed to charge via a wireless pad underneath? It doesn't appear to do that but I don't know if that's to be expected. I'm afraid to try to open things up to dig around, and don't currently have the car for a few days while it gets some wraps/tint/coat work but any confirmation and, if this is broken, suggestions for self remedy would be appreciated. TIA!

Dumb question. Is the space under the 17" touchscreen that holds two phones supposed to charge via a wireless pad underneath? It doesn't appear to do that but I don't know if that's to be expected. I'm afraid to try to open things up to dig around, and don't currently have the car for a few days while it gets some wraps/tint/coat work but any confirmation and, if this is broken, suggestions for self remedy would be appreciated. TIA!

Yes. Also check that all your USB ports are working.

Next step, ceramic:
20240304_175027.jpg

As someone else mentioned, they are supposed to wirelessly charge phones. I will say, I have an IPhone 15 Pro and I must be very specific in my placement of the phone for it to get a charge, unlike on my previous Y for example. Could be my specific car, but I've found placement of the phone on the pad to be slightly away from the center split line for it to charge. Too far to the left or right and it doesn't seem to want to work. May want to play around with placement to see if that rectifies and just my experience.

Reactions: rfmurphy81
As someone else mentioned, they are supposed to wirelessly charge phones. I will say, I have an IPhone 15 Pro and I must be very specific in my placement of the phone for it to get a charge, unlike on my previous Y for example. Could be my specific car, but I've found placement of the phone on the pad to be slightly away from the center split line for it to charge. Too far to the left or right and it doesn't seem to want to work. May want to play around with placement to see if that rectifies and just my experience.
My android phones charged perfectly on my '21. Didn't matter where I placed them. It always worked. It was the best wireless charger I've ever used.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Following up on the previous tweet:

The following text was cut off:

Both components should be retrofittable, just may be paid options. (Very reasonable costs)Recently delivered Model S and X have had the wiring required for the bumper camera and even cabling for the ambient lights hidden away.
I am skeptical of ability to retrofit. The tilting main display in the Model S refresh did not come out until a year after the vehicles were delivered, and Tesla rejected retrofitting the tilt motor at an extra cost even though the wiring was in place for a tilt display.

Reactions: RyanC1384
My android phones charged perfectly on my '21. Didn't matter where I placed them. It always worked. It was the best wireless charger I've ever used.
My iPhone 15 Pro Max charges wirelessly with no problems, but I don't want my phone to charge all the time. So I just place the phone in a horizontal position in that phone area, and it works without activating wireless charging and does not fall.

I am skeptical of ability to retrofit. The tilting main display in the Model S refresh did not come out until a year after the vehicles were delivered, and Tesla rejected retrofitting the tilt motor at an extra cost even though the wiring was in place for a tilt display.
I share your skepticism but in this case it's a safety related issue and isn't the front camera needed to enable some features that were pulled with USS (park/summon)?

It can be done but requires buying the bracket with the motors (apparently only something like $150) and a new controller (not sure if it's the BCM or another). But the real issue is finding someone who has the access to enable the feature which apparently requires more than just Toolbox 3.

I share your skepticism but in this case it's a safety related issue and isn't the front camera needed to enable some features that were pulled with USS (park/summon)?
There has been nothing said that it will be required to reenable Autopark or Summon. (Which they have sold to lots of people in Model 3s and Model Ys that don't have the front bumper camera, even in the "highland" refresh.)