Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So remember this photo I posted a few days back?

20240304_175027-jpg.1024806

Not sure how I missed this during inspection, but notice how the right side of the hatch is further up then the left? All the telltale signs that they knew this was off where there. The hatch bump stop on the left side was adjusted all the way out and the one on the right all the way in. The taillight housings that are in the rear quarter panel(not the liftgate) have about 1/4 inch of adjustment vertically. On the left, the taillight is all the way down and on the right all the way up to hide the misalignment as much as possible.

My fear is that the body was somehow twisted rather than the liftgate. Its already perfect at the hinges and there no vertical adjustment on the S like there is on the X.

To verify the frame and rear quarter panels and bumper are all straight and true, I used a self leveling laser plane aimed at the liftgate hinges with the liftgate up. Turns out the car was already level so the plane hit both hinges at exactly the same height. I then measured the vertical distance between the hinges and various spots on the rear quarter panels and bumper. Happy to report they are sub millimeter perfect, which mean it's the liftgate and not the chassis itself.

This is one of those situations where you either have to live with it, or you have to use some real force to bend stuff. With a pillow on the left between the liftgate and the left side of the frame inside the rear, I applied a rather large amount of force to the right side. Had to repeat several times until I got just the right alignment.

Next is to fix undo their taillight alignment and fix them vertically so there's 1/8th inch on the top and bottom of both left and right taillights.

I'll post a photo when it's all done.

Last edited:
Here is the MSLR I accepted delivery of last Sunday. Received it back from Nashville ClearBra today. Jurgen and team did a great job installing the XPEL Stealth PPF and XR Plus 20% window tint. Looking forward to finally getting to drive it!

Attachments

• IMG_7648.jpeg
    IMG_7648.jpeg
    523.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7649.jpeg
    IMG_7649.jpeg
    472.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7650.jpeg
    IMG_7650.jpeg
    527.8 KB · Views: 8

Not sure how I missed this during inspection, but notice how the right side of the hatch is further up then the left? All the telltale signs that they knew this was off where there. The hatch bump stop on the left side was adjusted all the way out and the one on the right all the way in. The taillight housings that are in the rear quarter panel(not the liftgate) have about 1/4 inch of adjustment vertically. On the left, the taillight is all the way down and on the right all the way up to hide the misalignment as much as possible.

My fear is that the body was somehow twist rather than the liftgate. Its already perfect at the hinges and there no vertical adjustment on the S like there is on the X.

To verify the frame and rear quarter panels and bumper are all straight and true, I self leveling laser plane aimed at the liftgate hinges with the door open. Turns out the car was already level so the plane hit both hinges at exactly the same height. I then measured the vertical distance between the hinges and various spots on the rear quarter panels and bumper. Happy to report they are sub millimeter perfect, which mean it's the liftgate and not the chassis itself.

This is one of those situations where you either have to live with it, or you have to use some real force to bend stuff. With a pillow on the left between the liftgate and the left side of the frame inside the rear, I applied a rather large amount of force. Had to repeat several times until I got just the right alignment.

Next is to fix undo their taillight alignment and fix them vertically so there's 1/8th inch on the top and bottom of both left and right taillights.

EXACT same issue with my MSLR 😏

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Do you have to deal with tight parking spaces where 1-2 inches of precision are critical? If not, updated park assist with birdseye view should be fine. Working well for me.
I feel like it would be useful for parking nose in and avoiding hitting / scraping on parking blocks. Without it, I've been backing into every parking space to avoid scraping the nose because it is so low.

My fear is that the body was somehow twisted rather than the liftgate. Its already perfect at the hinges and there no vertical adjustment on the S like there is on the X.

To verify the frame and rear quarter panels and bumper are all straight and true, I used a self leveling laser plane aimed at the liftgate hinges with the liftgate up. Turns out the car was already level so the plane hit both hinges at exactly the same height. I then measured the vertical distance between the hinges and various spots on the rear quarter panels and bumper. Happy to report they are sub millimeter perfect, which mean it's the liftgate and not the chassis itself.

This is one of those situations where you either have to live with it, or you have to use some real force to bend stuff. With a pillow on the left between the liftgate and the left side of the frame inside the rear, I applied a rather large amount of force to the right side. Had to repeat several times until I got just the right alignment.

Do you mean the bottom right of the hatch where it meets the bumper? Or the top right above the tail lights? I'm marking up some photos to note what to look for next week.

Your the xx post I've seen with the same or nearly the same order date as me and already have a VIN... My order date was Dec. 8th, and I'm still awaiting a VIN.
This has happened before. Folks that ordered earlier are also paying less in some cases, and are getting pushed to the back of the line.

However, you might get the new features as a result.