Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Easy. Just reject it for the rear hatch alignment that is 99.9% guaranteed to be off, so your tail lights look like ass. Even in that video just posted...

It's freaking embarrassing that the new S tails have been out close to 2 years now, and they still can't align the bodywork properly. And no, this isn't fixable with the little rubber stops that you can rotate. I don't see any other cars, at any other price point, with a botched tail light alignment as bad as the refresh S.

View attachment 1027276

And here was one at the Seattle delivery center a couple of weeks ago when I was there. That right side is so bad, and the left side is only marginally better. Now, I do, on VERY rare occasion see an aligned hatch, but it's exceptionally rare.

View attachment 1027278

And another from the Internet (pre-production but no different from many I see on the road). How does Tesla says yep, this is great, - ship it!

View attachment 1027279

Oh, and the pièce de résistance, - you just know Tesla doesn't give a flying banana when their own ads show how bad this is...

View attachment 1027280
It’s not that they can’t fix it, they dont want to.

I’m very certain that the employees working for Tesla know that these cars are being delivered defective. Yet the cars keep coming. This indicates a culture problem higher up at Tesla. Since their business and product is now directly tied to their stock I won’t lose a lick of sleep if their stock gets wrecked by the shorts. Look no further than Boeing now as to what can happen when you put profits above all else.

Reactions: terranx and ck1891
It’s not that they can’t fix it, they dont want to.

I’m very certain that the employees working for Tesla know that these cars are being delivered defective. Yet the cars keep coming. This indicates a culture problem higher up at Tesla. Since their business and product is now directly tied to their stock I won’t lose a lick of sleep if their stock gets wrecked by the shorts. Look no further than Boeing now as to what can happen when you put profits above all else.
I look forward to them getting their asses kicked, but so far Elon is ****ing Teflon.

To those few of you survived a bad MS or MSP sample to the point of a Tesla buy back.

If you knew what you now know about Tesla service and buy back, what steps would you have taken to have made it easier - less stressful regarding resolution?

Asking, as the only report on TMC regarding a slew of active alert codes today that my 500 mile MSP delivered in Jan ended with the OP claiming it ended in a buy back offer.

Loved the $8,569 cost estimate for this.

My story on this thread: Bunch of error codes just appeared app_w009, tas_a313, di_a222, di_a246, di_a223, etc

Really curious to know survivor advice from those who experienced/lived thru buy back.

Thanks

I probably would have started sooner. I kept trying to go to service again and again to get them to fix my car. Thinking if they could just get one more thing right I'd be fine. After 11 service visits, I gave up and started pushing for a buyback. That took 3-4 months, but eventually they did it.

They paid back every cost associated with the car, including loan interest, registration, taxes, FSD, premium connectivity, etc. Prorated to the mileage when the problem started, exactly as spelled out in NC law. On the plus side of all this hassle, the price of the Plaid has gone down by $43k since I bought, so I'm tempting fate again and potentially picking another one up today.

This looks great. Love the wheels. Anymore pics of them?
IMG_3373.png

Attachments

• IMG_3372.png
    IMG_3372.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 8
They’re pretty lenient about the first rejection. Besides, panel alignment on MS is often imperfect 😉

It's never perfect from the factory. There are two bolts in each door hinge. One shouldered and one not. The two bolt holes for the hinges are intentionally not perfectly spaced for the hinge. The shouldered bolt in one hinge hole is inserted and then the remaining hole is not centered but the hinge hole is larger than the threaded hole so the non shouldered bolt will go in even though off center. You can swap these on each hinge creating 4 different combinations of alignment. They will pick the ones that get the best alignment at the factory but it will never be perfect. If it's going to a remote delivery center, there's a good chance they'll re-align doors as part of delivery prep.

For further adjustment, you have to start swapping out shouldered bolts for non shouldered which gives a bit more movement. This is what they did to my MXP front doors (which in my case only made it worse and I had to redo it myself including fenders and FWDs). When they end up using two non shouldered bolts on a hinge, they torque them quiet a bit more than the factory spec says.

For my MSP, after getting the alignment of the doors exactly where I wanted, and yes, all 4 doors required movement, I measured the offset of the bolt in each hinge hole and printed out a custom nylon offset spacer (top most hole in top hinge and bottom hole in bottom hinge) to eliminate the possibility of slipping. Without the shoulder locking the hinge into place, they have to over torque in order to prevent slipping.

20240312_121618.jpg_compressed.JPEG20240312_121603.jpg_compressed.JPEG

The bolt on the left is non shouldered with my own off center nylon spacer. My X1C punches these out perfect in just a few minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chip Geek
To those few of you survived a bad MS or MSP sample to the point of a Tesla buy back.

If you knew what you now know about Tesla service and buy back, what steps would you have taken to have made it easier - less stressful regarding resolution?

Asking, as the only report on TMC regarding a slew of active alert codes today that my 500 mile MSP delivered in Jan ended with the OP claiming it ended in a buy back offer.

Loved the $8,569 cost estimate for this.

My story on this thread: Bunch of error codes just appeared app_w009, tas_a313, di_a222, di_a246, di_a223, etc

Really curious to know survivor advice from those who experienced/lived thru buy back.

Thanks

Send a request to [email protected]. This is what your purchase agreement stipulates.

Keep it brief. Tell them how many days in service and summary of problems they won't or can't fix. Include days it was not usable outside of service if any.
Tell them you've waited reasonably long enough to have a defect free vehicle.

They'll respond within 30 days. If they don't it breaks the arbitration agreement and you don't have to go through binding arbitration. If they respond with a no, it's then time to contact an attorney. If they respond yes, and the offer is reasonable, take it. You can't get punitive if you didn't opt of out of binding arbitration so there's almost no point in obtaining council. If you did opt out of arbitration, then you don't have to do any of this but you could still get a buyback offer by sending the email. If you opted out of binding arbitration, make sure to state so in the email as it puts them on notice that you hold the cards and have additional leverage.

Easy. Just reject it for the rear hatch alignment that is 99.9% guaranteed to be off, so your tail lights look like ass. Even in that video just posted...

It's freaking embarrassing that the new S tails have been out close to 2 years now, and they still can't align the bodywork properly. And no, this isn't fixable with the little rubber stops that you can rotate. I don't see any other cars, at any other price point, with a botched tail light alignment as bad as the refresh S.

View attachment 1027276

And here was one at the Seattle delivery center a couple of weeks ago when I was there. That right side is so bad, and the left side is only marginally better. Now, I do, on VERY rare occasion see an aligned hatch, but it's exceptionally rare.

View attachment 1027278

And another from the Internet (pre-production but no different from many I see on the road). How does Tesla says yep, this is great, - ship it!

View attachment 1027279

Oh, and the pièce de résistance, - you just know Tesla doesn't give a flying banana when their own ads show how bad this is...

View attachment 1027280

Seems like it's universal that all hatches are lifted on the right and the left upper liftgate pillar is lower than the a-pillar on the left. My 2015 didn't have this issue.

A few questions:

What documentation is the most effective in support of this process?

Does lemon law get brought up, or is this independant of that path - option?

What happens with regards to add-ons and taxes? e.g. FUSC or FSD, or physical add-ons like PPF? e.g. State sales taxes are considered, are not considered in a buy back value?

Not sure about other states, but California includes every expense you incurred (except insurance and fuel). So registration fees, taxes, PFF, etc).

Reactions: calm-one
I probably would have started sooner. I kept trying to go to service again and again to get them to fix my car. Thinking if they could just get one more thing right I'd be fine. After 11 service visits, I gave up and started pushing for a buyback. That took 3-4 months, but eventually they did it.

They paid back every cost associated with the car, including loan interest, registration, taxes, FSD, premium connectivity, etc. Prorated to the mileage when the problem started, exactly as spelled out in NC law. On the plus side of all this hassle, the price of the Plaid has gone down by $43k since I bought, so I'm tempting fate again and potentially picking another one up today.
Why not just get the LR. From my reading on this forum it seems most of the major issues have been with the plaid. The LR is still crazy fast.

Not off to a great start. Car wasn't here when I got here, needed a few extra hours to get it here. Arrived with 7% battery, they are charging now...
My car wasn't out front when I arrived and they had it in the back fixing an "issue" at the Raleigh location. They wouldn't let me look at it and the longer I stayed there their story changed. They gave me 4 different excuses of what was wrong. I gave up and rejected the car for a car that was supposed to be there later that week, but it took them 3 more weeks to get it.

watching him measure panel gaps. imagine if tesla owners stopped bringing out tools to measure gaps. i've never seen anyone do this to other cars. tesla haters will latch on to these videos
And that black MSP was already awesome....for an S. I'd have been thrilled.to get factory alignment like that but I'm 100% it was worked on by the customers delivery center.

Have you chosen the payment method = finance or cash? That would seem to stop your VIN being assigned if you have not committed to the method of payment.
I was told by Tesla that this doesn't delay assignment of VIN and that you can select or change financing options after VIN assignment. Of course, you can't really trust anything Tesla says, so take that with a grain of salt.

Personally, I ordered a MSP, 21", Wheel, etc. on 3/7 and haven't selected my financing option. EDD still shows "March." No VIN yet.