Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I chose to accept my Plaid today.

Went through my full checklist and found 2 small paint chips. The interior was near perfect. One stain on driver seat that was easily wiped off.

1 issue that I decided to let slide. The rear drivers side door protrudes out more than the passenger side. It did bother me at first. I might have mobile service come see if they can tighten it up. The guys at delivery said it would be in spec though.

The trunk looked align to me.

Did feel some shutter in the pedal, hoping that goes away or was just after it sat for awhile.

Overall it’s within spec to me and got my accessories in tonight.

I’m not really sure why people get so bent out of shape about Tesla moving around pricing on features and incentives. A week doesn’t go by when I don’t hear a commercial from some local car dealership about the latest and greatest incentive that they’re offering that expires at the end of the month. It’s just a tactic to motivate buyers to act.
Here's why. Because ANY other car in the world starts it's model year in Sept/October area. So in Sept/Oct of 2024 they tell you all the new features and if you buy the car in Nov, Dec, or Jan. it doesn't matter, you get a 2025 model and nothing changes till they do a 2026 model. No one gets screwed. Whereas you can literally buy a Tesla on Dec 31st and 11:58PM this year and they will call it a 2024 model by VIN, and your car is already devalued by an entire year. If you bought it Jan 1st it would be labeled as a 2025 model. Which makes no sense, a model is based on what features it has and when it was MADE, NOT when it was SOLD. Tesla just has the dumbest take on randomly adding or removing features, parts, computers, ect. whenever the F they want. It is just bad business and why people don't buy their cars or wait till they see a change/upgrade and only buy it then, like I will do. I'll wait 2 years if they don't change the Model S, don't care. But as soon as they deliver new changes and give FSD and SC transfers I will probably buy one again, even though I hate that they took away the stalks, another idiotic move. Every car in the world has stalks, and we need to pay $90K to fool around guessing from 10 haptic spots on the damn steering wheel? Dumbest idea since the yoke. Sure yoke is great if you only drive straight and never make a turn in your life. Until FSD is 100% working and govt. approved, you need a steering wheel, if they EVER get to FSD for real, then yoke might be acceptable, but still a pain in the ass to park, I tried one.

Here's why. Because ANY other car in the world starts its model year in Sept/October area. So in Sept/Oct of 2024 they tell you all the new features and if you buy the car in Nov, Dec, or Jan. it doesn't matter, you get a 2025 model and nothing changes till they do a 2026 model. No one gets screwed. Whereas you can literally buy a Tesla on Dec 31st and 11:58PM this year and they will call it a 2024 model by VIN, and your car is already devalued by an entire year. If you bought it Jan 1st it would be labeled as a 2025 model. Which makes no sense, a model is based on what features it has and when it was MADE, NOT when it was SOLD. Tesla just has the dumbest take on randomly adding or removing features, parts, computers, ect. whenever the F they want. It is just bad business and why people don't buy their cars or wait till they see a change/upgrade and only buy it then, like I will do. I'll wait 2 years if they don't change the Model S, don't care. But as soon as they deliver new changes and give FSD and SC transfers I will probably buy one again, even though I hate that they took away the stalks, another idiotic move. Every car in the world has stalks, and we need to pay $90K to fool around guessing from 10 haptic spots on the damn steering wheel? Dumbest idea since the yoke. Sure yoke is great if you only drive straight and never make a turn in your life. Until FSD is 100% working and govt. approved, you need a steering wheel, if they EVER get to FSD for real, then yoke might be acceptable, but still a pain in the ass to park, I tried one.
Thanks for your thoughts. I think if I felt the way you do I wouldn’t buy a Tesla. Sure maybe I need to adjust my expectations about how Tesla sells vs. traditional dealers but on balance I find it an overall great experience.

Got my Plaid delivered today. Quality is noticeably better than my 2022 Plaid, taillight misalignment still there, no significant gaps, paint chips etc, overall car looks fantastic. PPF right off the lot and will be doing wheel alignment after, so wont be able to enjoy it for another week. Hopefully Tesla can keep up the good build and making them better. Also, no front cam and ambient as expected, but i have a feeling they are going to announce them soon, regardless, hard to give up a great quality build and take another chance later

I'm thinking about full ppf for mine. Can anyone give me cost estimates? I tried some stuff myself but some bubbles etc.

Here's why. Because ANY other car in the world starts it's model year in Sept/October area. So in Sept/Oct of 2024 they tell you all the new features and if you buy the car in Nov, Dec, or Jan. it doesn't matter, you get a 2025 model and nothing changes till they do a 2026 model. No one gets screwed. Whereas you can literally buy a Tesla on Dec 31st and 11:58PM this year and they will call it a 2024 model by VIN, and your car is already devalued by an entire year. If you bought it Jan 1st it would be labeled as a 2025 model. Which makes no sense, a model is based on what features it has and when it was MADE, NOT when it was SOLD. Tesla just has the dumbest take on randomly adding or removing features, parts, computers, ect. whenever the F they want. It is just bad business and why people don't buy their cars or wait till they see a change/upgrade and only buy it then, like I will do. I'll wait 2 years if they don't change the Model S, don't care. But as soon as they deliver new changes and give FSD and SC transfers I will probably buy one again, even though I hate that they took away the stalks, another idiotic move. Every car in the world has stalks, and we need to pay $90K to fool around guessing from 10 haptic spots on the damn steering wheel? Dumbest idea since the yoke. Sure yoke is great if you only drive straight and never make a turn in your life. Until FSD is 100% working and govt. approved, you need a steering wheel, if they EVER get to FSD for real, then yoke might be acceptable, but still a pain in the ass to park, I tried one.
On one hand I agree with you 100% and on another hand I disagree with you. Tesla is more of an innovations Tech company and when they have a chance to "advance" they choose to advance the cars vs waiting until the radiational new model year to update. They don't sit around waiting 1-12 months with the advancement on hand until the new year model rolls around when they have the ability to improve, and some of the changes are based on customer feedback. When they are able to advance their lineup they do to ensure the customers have the latest and greatest software and hardware. Imagine if they only gave one software update a year to better FSD or any other part of the car. It's a double edge sword, but to advance Tesla as a whole they feel they cannot be a traditional car manufacturer and will need to advance when they have the ability to. That way they can start learning and improving upon their new hardware and software they introduce. Sitting on HW4 for another 7+ months until the 2024 models arrive IMO would have slowed their advancements down and 7 months they learned absolutely nothing to advance their ecosystem forward. Does it suck if you bought a car right before the switch, absolutely. I've been burned on Tech purchases where they don't inform you of a new product and you spend a few grand to buy the latest and greatest and within a month its already outdated. So I get the other side of the coin too.

On one hand I agree with you 100% and on another hand I disagree with you. Tesla is more of an innovations Tech company and when they have a chance to "advance" they choose to advance the cars vs waiting until the radiational new model year to update. They don't sit around waiting 1-12 months with the advancement on hand until the new year model rolls around when they have the ability to improve, and some of the changes are based on customer feedback. When they are able to advance their lineup they do to ensure the customers have the latest and greatest software and hardware. Imagine if they only gave one software update a year to better FSD or any other part of the car. It's a double edge sword, but to advance Tesla as a whole they feel they cannot be a traditional car manufacturer and will need to advance when they have the ability to. That way they can start learning and improving upon their new hardware and software they introduce. Sitting on HW4 for another 7+ months until the 2024 models arrive IMO would have slowed their advancements down and 7 months they learned absolutely nothing to advance their ecosystem forward. Does it suck if you bought a car right before the switch, absolutely. I've been burned on Tech purchases where they don't inform you of a new product and you spend a few grand to buy the latest and greatest and within a month its already outdated. So I get the other side of the coin too.

Yeah, but if they had waited to launch HW4, they'd have some time to test and finish the software! They launched HW4 way too early, before summon and autopark are ready.... And it is unclear if those features will ever match the performance of the ultrasound sensors they removed to save a few dollars. They really should have tested that before making the hardware change. They probably would have realized they still need ultrasound.

I agree software updates should be more frequent than once a year. But, hardware updates should be scheduled once per year, and thoroughly tested before deployment. They are averaging hardware changes once per year anyway, if you look at the recent history of the S/X. Might as well make them at the model year transition, rather than 2-3 months after it, which just seems annoying and dumb. That means when I'm looking at used cars, I have to look at the build date to know if it has the years' changes or not. I.e. early 2022 cars are identical to 2021 cars, but after Feb / March they got all the changes for the year.

Yeah, but if they had waited to launch HW4, they'd have some time to test and finish the software! They launched HW4 way too early, before summon and autopark are ready.... And it is unclear if those features will ever match the performance of the ultrasound sensors they removed to save a few dollars. They really should have tested that before making the hardware change. They probably would have realized they still need ultrasound.

I agree software updates should be more frequent than once a year. But, hardware updates should be scheduled once per year, and thoroughly tested before deployment. They are averaging hardware changes once per year anyway, if you look at the recent history of the S/X. Might as well make them at the model year transition, rather than 2-3 months after it, which just seems annoying and dumb. That means when I'm looking at used cars, I have to look at the build date to know if it has the years' changes or not. I.e. early 2022 cars are identical to 2021 cars, but after Feb / March they got all the changes for the year.
I agree with that as well, but to play the other side of the coin. it’s a good thing and bad thing they use hundreds of thousands of customers along with hundreds of employees cars to gain the required data to improve upon the HW4. They use customer feedback and raw data from the thousands of cars to improve. Having it in only in house to test would probably severely limit their progress and could have taken double the time due to not having as much real world data to adjust and most likely would still have been buggy when it came out for months. We have no clue how long they had and tested HW4 prior to release. I see both sides of the coin and it seems they are now slowly releasing the features that weren’t available at launch. They’re using realtime data and feedback from the hundreds of thousands of users and cars to drive these software updates to improve the HW4 and all other cars. It both sucks and great at the same time IMO

This I agree with. I understand wanting to improve the car and not waiting for models years like traditional car manufacturers but at least when traditional manufacturers make changes they are typically well sorted out and work. With Tesla they make changes but then they aren’t fully baked changes so the customer is the test dummy for a while and who knows when things will be perfected.

At the end of the day I get the double edged sword because they do want to advance their cars but it’s at the customers expense sometimes. Heck ii would just like my rain sensing wipers to work well and I can’t get that.

Reactions: sawood711
I agree with that as well, but to play the other side of the coin. it’s a good thing and bad thing they use hundreds of thousands of customers along with hundreds of employees cars to gain the required data to improve upon the HW4. They use customer feedback and raw data from the thousands of cars to improve. Having it in only in house to test would probably severely limit their progress and could have taken double the time due to not having as much real world data to adjust and most likely would still have been buggy when it came out for months. We have no clue how long they had and tested HW4 prior to release. I see both sides of the coin and it seems they are now slowly releasing the features that weren’t available at launch. They’re using realtime data and feedback from the hundreds of thousands of users and cars to drive these software updates to improve the HW4 and all other cars. It both sucks and great at the same time IMO
If they actually cared about that, they could have launched HW4 with ultrasound and then only removed it once they were sure they could implement all the features without it. But, they took a guess (presumably at the demands of Elon) and then it's been almost two years since they removed ultrasound and basic features still don't work.

If they actually cared about that, they could have launched HW4 with ultrasound and then only removed it once they were sure they could implement all the features without it. But, they took a guess (presumably at the demands of Elon) and then it's been almost two years since they removed ultrasound and basic features still don't work.
Other side of the coin would be that people who bought a car without Ultrasound would still be pissed even if they had HW4 and vison working better than ultrasound because they feel like they are getting less of a product because a different version of a HW4 car had the sensors and now they don't. There is no win/win scenario when it comes to a tech focused auto company. If people don't want this kind of experience they can freely move to a different traditional car manufacturer. I also agree that they could at least get auto wiping to work... How can that software go broke for so long haha They can have AI drive you from one city to another, but can't get windshield wipers to work.

Picked up Sirius Black today! Fairly flawless delivery. No issues that I could see. Door alignment looked spot on. Drove it across the parking lot to my Tint/PPF place to get that done first thing. Our delivery center experience was really good. The delivery manager gave us some time to look over the car, stayed out of our way. Really like the new phone as key process, been a few years since my last pickup. Works really well. This is my wife's car, but I am the one that did the order, so it added to mine, invited her and it was just seconds for her to add.

They were using the warehouse space, but as we found at the PPF place, the lighting was not ideal for paint review. That being said, only one issue I saw that was a surface smudge that the PPF place was confident it would not be an issue.

They do a ton of Tesla's which is why they are in the same parking lot. They were telling me that they must have changed the process as cars are coming in with more surface scratches/swirls. Mine was not terrible and they were confident they would be able to correct most and the PPF would hide many of them. They did have a Black wrapped Cybertruck in the work bay, I say I like it much better as it looked really good in black.

1711127468479.jpeg

Picked up Sirius Black today! Fairly flawless delivery. No issues that I could see. Door alignment looked spot on. Drove it across the parking lot to my Tint/PPF place to get that done first thing. Our delivery center experience was really good. The delivery manager gave us some time to look over the car, stayed out of our way. Really like the new phone as key process, been a few years since my last pickup. Works really well. This is my wife's car, but I am the one that did the order, so it added to mine, invited her and it was just seconds for her to add.

They were using the warehouse space, but as we found at the PPF place, the lighting was not ideal for paint review. That being said, only one issue I saw that was a surface smudge that the PPF place was confident it would not be an issue.

They do a ton of Tesla's which is why they are in the same parking lot. They were telling me that they must have changed the process as cars are coming in with more surface scratches/swirls. Mine was not terrible and they were confident they would be able to correct most and the PPF would hide many of them. They did have a Black wrapped Cybertruck in the work bay, I say I like it much better as it looked really good in black.

View attachment 1030690
How much for full ppf?