Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S gets $3K price drop then a $2570 drop to $69420!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It isn't really fair to compare "fully loaded" to base. There is a $8k elephant in the room. That is never a value proposition.
Either way - interesting comment about the handling.
We have a 3 and a pre refresh S - the 3 is much more nimble. I don't expect the Y to match it but I expected it to be better than an S. Now on ride quality, there is no question.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
The 750 is a different car for a different market.

There are many-a-days my wife still complains that she misses her 750L-AH Mostly after spending more than an hour in he Model X at any given time o_O I must admit that no other manufacturer has a more comfortable, quiet, and smooth riding car....If they ever make a full BEV version I already know what'll happen. LMAO

Reactions: DanCar
Maybe Tesla will follow the free supercharging for 3 years approach... more “sustainable” too. The Lucid does look nice.. the “option” prices aren’t available that I’ve seen. Won’t be cancelling my model S order.

Tesla doesn’t have FSD, I’d rather spend that 8k on ocean front property in Arizona.

Totally agree - the features currently offered under "FSD" are nearly totally devoid of actual FSD'ing capability. They've been selling FSD since 2017 and I can't believe people buy it still. I guess the "but when it does come, it'll be super expensive so buy it now at the low low price of eight thousand dollars!!" works well on people.

I got to test drive the LR Raven model s a few weeks ago, honestly the car is nice but it’s not a 70-80k car in my opinion. It felt more like a 50k car. But to be fair my ass has been spoiled, while this price drop is nice, overall I think it just brings it closer to what it should cost

I couldn't agree more. Tesla is great - the Model 3/Y are unbelievable deals for the types of cars they are - but the Model S is really not worth all that money whatsoever. It's just slightly bigger than the Model 3 while not being noticeably higher quality or more luxurious. It's still riding the cache from the time "Tesla Model S" represented something out of this world and unattainable. Won't last long - which is why its price has been coming down and down. And it'll come down more.

My wife’s bmw 750. And before anyone jumps on me regarding the superior performance of the Tesla I’m purely talking about comfort and quality of the vehicle.

You don't even have to go to the 7 series for an example. Recently I bought a Mercedes E-350 from 2014 with 60,000 miles on it for $17,500 as I was inbetween cars and needed something while I decided on what actual car to buy.

Coming off of a P100D, I just could not believe how more comfortable the E350 was. The cabin looked and felt so much better, and the driving comfort was out of this world compared to the P100D. Sure, I get the P100D is supposed to be a 'sports car', but

a.) Other Model S's also lack comfort. Ludicrous Teslas are not less comfortable than the others.
b.) Usually sports cars lack comfort because they are sporty. Model S in no way can be characterized as sporty. It's a huge, heavy car with vague steering and doesn't handle well. So it's neither comfortable nor sporty, whereas the E350 was at least very comfortable.

The funny thing is the E350 just felt so much smoother and quieter than the Model S even though it's an ICE car with a slow transmission.

Once again, the Model 3 doesn't really need to be all that comfortable because of its price point, but at least it's quite a bit 'sportier'. Model 3 / Y are amazing cars and crazy good deals, and you'd have to be crazy to pass it up at that price point. I'm just talking about how outdated the Model S has become and how pointless it is becoming relative to other cars and Tesla's own lineup.

BTW, I sold the E350 to Carvana for a thousand dollars more than I paid for it, even including taxes and dealer fees :D

Sandy is missing a couple of key points in assessing cost. 1) Technology cost curve for key components such as batteries are on a steep decline, 2) BEV's are much simplier and therefore much cheaper to build than ICE. So costs are set to make them at much lower price points than ICE vehicles.

In five years time the base model 3 will be close to a 25k car.

Production cost declines:
4k batteries (50% reduction)
2k frame manufacturing and build (this is already in the works at it's new factories under construction)
2k in manufacturing scale as company builds more than 2 million vehicles per year and has factories on all continents
2k other efficiencies in manufacturing
1k in cheaper interior features and materials

Thus in 3 to 5 years, you will have today's model 3 with 250 miles of range or more for approximately 25k. A comparable ICE vehicle will cost 35k or more.

If competition pushes Tesla to accept lower profit margins, than the price could be another 2k below that. Today Tesla could build a model 3 for 33k and still show a nice profit. In 5 years they do it for less than 25k.

Starting at $69,420 tonight. Elon got two of his favorite numbers in there this time. :D

models.png