Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Insurance in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an aside, how many stupidly designed web forms can one industry have. I've lost count of how many online quote forms have made me fill in pages of information only to tell me 'we don't insure that vehicle' once you finally get to submit the form. I selected the vehicle on the first page! Tell me then if you don't insure it, or don't offer it as an option. Yes I know they could be refusing it for other reasons, but at my age with a clean record that seems unlikely, never had any vehicle refused in nearly 40 years. <rant off> :)

As an aside, how many stupidly designed web forms can one industry have. I've lost count of how many online quote forms have made me fill in pages of information only to tell me 'we don't insure that vehicle' once you finally get to submit the form. I selected the vehicle on the first page! Tell me then if you don't insure it, or don't offer it as an option. Yes I know they could be refusing it for other reasons, but at my age with a clean record that seems unlikely, never had any vehicle refused in nearly 40 years. <rant off> :)

Rant endorsed!

Before I launch back in to the soul destroying abyss of insurance policy hunting has anyone done this recently in Melbourne and have any helpful companies they can point me toward? Youi are out on principle because they pissed me off so much with their deceptive and aggressive 'on-line' quote process, but otherwise happy to consider most companies. RACV will be my starting point since I'm currently with them and really small insurers with potentially dodgy claim processes aren't high on my list but otherwise pretty agnostic. Thanks in advance for any advice.

For the interest of other Melbourne owners, the RACV quoted me $1245 for $120k agreed value with a $1k excess, or $952 with $2k excess. Didn't care about garaging or many other things that were on the online forms of other insurers. Will most likely go with this at least initially and check some other options during the 21 day payment period.

Ahem... Ladies and Gentlemen, today I rang NRMA and upgraded my policy to include windscreen protection. They did so and charged me around $50. Bargain.

For those with raised eyebrows, please read on. For those who are yawning, please hit the back button on your browser...

Well the other day, I was riding in my brother's father-in-law's friend's car... and he had a cracked windscreen. I enquired why he didn't just buy a new windscreen. We got talking, and the general consensus was that if the Tesla windscreen was to be replaced - with all the integrated autopilot camera tech, auto wiper rain sensors and electro etag prohibitive thingos... - if you were to ring up Tesla and ask them for a new fitted windscreen, they all reckoned it would probably cost somewhere in the vicinity of 3k. 3K I tell ya! That should cause some pause for thought.

So I upgraded. Apparently the upgrade covers all the glass in the car (including the sunroof - go figure), side windows too and there is no excess and it doesn't even count as a claim! So who in their right mind would pass that up? Now tell me I'm an idiot...

-------

And on a related note: I have always had hire car option. The way I figure that one, since the car is imported, it is gonna take weeks to get such a car fixed - they are not exactly gunna have parts on the shelf. Hence hire car. But that one was obvious.