Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S or BMW 740LDXdrive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm waiting for my Model S to arrive so I don't have much experience yet of the car, however I did test drive a Model S P85+ before I ordered. The Model S is really a great car, however I wouldn't have chosen it if it weren't for the tax benefits (which of course differ from country to country) and the low mileage cost compared to a gas or diesel-powered car. If I could have had a BMW 740LDXdrive instead I might have chosen that instead, mainly because I think the BMW:s interior are superior, also they have more technology features that I value than the Model S.

Also I think BMW:s customer service is better than Tesla, but that might be different in your region.

Help me decide .. i have my MS85 configured (not confirmed) as White, Pano, Leather, Piano, Tech, Park, Fog, Dual C and the cost is same as a BMW 740 long wheel based diesel all wheel drive with M package.

Actually I was considering the Porsche Panamera e-hybrid for sometime. But what really did it for me was the supercharger network and if I was already going electric why go half way?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm waiting for my Model S to arrive so I don't have much experience yet of the car, however I did test drive a Model S P85+ before I ordered. The Model S is really a great car, however I wouldn't have chosen it if it weren't for the tax benefits (which of course differ from country to country) and the low mileage cost compared to a gas or diesel-powered car. If I could have had a BMW 740LDXdrive instead I might have chosen that instead, mainly because I think the BMW:s interior are superior, also they have more technology features that I value than the Model S.

Also I think BMW:s customer service is better than Tesla, but that might be different in your region.

I agree with the comment on interior quality. First time I got into a Tesla I thought "this doesn't look like an interior of a $100k car."

Yes BMW 740LDXdrive interior looks good and is around 8k cheaper than the MS i designed.

Where do the MS guys hang their coats or laundry ? There are no handles with hooks at the rear. .

That said i did another test drive as i went to the service facility to check out std sound vs premium and the new Gray color that replaced the old one. One good thing to know is that the layout of the turn signals on the steering column has been swapped with the cruise control..

Yes BMW 740LDXdrive interior looks good and is around 8k cheaper than the MS i designed.

Until you start paying for fuel.

Where do the MS guys hang their coats or laundry ? There are no handles with hooks at the rear. .

You lay them down in the frunk. Works great.

A co-worker's non-Tesla was hit on the side and the curtain airbags went off. They caused the coat hooks and grab handles to fly across the car putting a dent in the opposite door. Had his kids been in there it would have been ugly. My thought at the time was, "Oh so that's why there aren't any".

The thing is for me, I would never have thought about getting a big BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, Lexus, Jaguar, Aston Martin, Maserati, Bentley -- you name it... not even on my radar.
They really would have been out of my league, so they just were not ever a consideration.
I have previously had a older Porsche 356 C, Volvo, a MB CLK 320, BMW 135i, over 40 years exclusively driving European cars.
And I really never seriously looked at American cars, until this one.

Once I did a bit or research on the MS, it sort of all snowballed as the bells and whistles went off for me.
I am 6'-3", have sat in a lot of cars, and many times the test sits were the deal breakers: I just did not fit.

THIS is the car.

The technology in this car is awesome, quiet, it's safe, intuitive operation, made in America and electric.
Did I mention the car drives and corners like a sports car? (It just happens to seat 5 or 7.)

I have an Model S 85 (which has plenty of power for me).
If you need even more zip, you can always get the P or P+.

Throw in the still expanding network of Superchargers, and it just flat makes best sense to get the MS.

I don't understand the original issue. I'm 6'5" tall and have enough leg room in the back seat with the front seat set for me. There is TONS of leg room in the back. In all seating positions, because there's a flat floor. What there isn't tons of, is headroom. I can't fit in the back without really scrunching up. Which matters not a whit to me, because aside from being curious as to whether I fit, I never sit back there!

So, yes, if for some reason you are chauffeuring basketball players every day, the Model S is not for you. If you're shuttling around more reasonable sized people I can't see that it would be an issue.

Help me decide .. i have my MS85 configured (not confirmed) as White, Pano, Leather, Piano, Tech, Park, Fog, Dual C and the cost is same as a BMW 740 long wheel based diesel all wheel drive with M package.

I'm a big fan of the BMW diesels (I own a 335d) but I'd say go with the MS85, unless you are going to be taking long trips regularly.

Diesels are great at long trips.
Frequent short trips, on the other hand, are not good for diesels. You'll likely run into issues related to emissions problems, excessive carbon buildup, clogged DPF, if you just use it as a commuting car for 10-mile commutes.

Diesels theoretically should last forever (look at those old MB diesels still running around) but the modern ones are so overly complex now due to emissions requirements that it defeats the purpose, longevity, and simplicity of a diesel motor. So many points of failure: EGR, injectors, particulate filter, urea injection system, stuff that costs at least $2500 to fix out of warranty.... whereas initially I was excited about owning a diesel that would last "forever", it now seems like a rube goldberg contraption for locomotion. A dozen separate systems that are there to make up for the deficiencies in other systems.

Tesla = battery, drive unit, charger. That's it.

That said, my 335d has been extremely reliable for the past 4 years (knock wood) but the warranty is up in November. Only issues have been a squealing AC built, EGR recall, and faulty urea tank temp sensor (which required replacing the entire tank assembly-- would have been a couple grand out of warranty). But these cars are known be a ticking time bomb of carbon buildup that strikes soon after the factory warranty expires. Maybe the newer generation diesel motor is better....

Lastly, BMW's are a dime a dozen. Good cars while under warranty but not worth keeping beyond 4 years (and resale prices reflect that).

The 7 series will definitely have a better rear-seat experience for adults. The Model S has lots of leg room, but the floor is slightly higher, and the roof is much lower. It's more appropriate to compare model S with a 6 series GC or a Merc CLS than a 7 series or S Class.I'm only 5'11", and my head rests on the roof of the Model S. With a Pano roof, it's slightly better, but my head still rests on the opening where the glass meets the roof. I have to slouch pretty severely to use the headrests. Either way, in an accident, I don't think it's a safe position for taller people in the back.

Sorry that I must disagree. I think the MS is quite uncomfortable in the back, especially due to the "high floor" (i.e. your legs are always bend).

HOWEVER, I would never ever want to drive anything else than the MS. It all depends on what is important for a person. If the passengers are more important that the drivers joy AND if you even THINK about not getting an MS AFTER test driving it, you should not get one.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry that I must disagree. I think the MS is quite uncomfortable in the back, especially due to the "high floor" (i.e. your legs are always bend).

HOWEVER, I would never ever want to drive anything else than the MS. It all depends on what is important for a person. If the passengers are more important that the drivers joy AND if you even THINK about not getting an MS AFTER test driving it, you should not get one.

Is that accounting for the WA state incentive of no sales tax on EVs, like the Model S? If not, then they will cost you exactly the same out of pocket.

Yes, with the refund they come out the same ..

The WA state sales tax exemption isn't a refund - it's upfront. When you buy a normal car, like a BMW 7 series, you pay 8-9% sales tax. When you buy an EV you pay 0%. That in of itself can really level the playing field for price comparisons.

This is in addition to, and separate from, the $7500 federal tax credit that may be what you're referring to as a refund.

Add these two incentives up and I found the Model S very price competitive. Factor in $2000+ a year savings on gasoline and it's hard to see any compariable gas car as cheaper.

That said i did another test drive as i went to the service facility to check out std sound vs premium and the new Gray color that replaced the old one. One good thing to know is that the layout of the turn signals on the steering column has been swapped with the cruise control..

Model S is not unusual for not having coat hooks. As side air bags become ubiquitous the coat hook is going the way of the dodo, still there is an after market solution for the coat hook if you are getting the Panoramic Roof option. Hook Up - Coat Hooks.