Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Pole Crash.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the NHTSA press release: "For the side pole intrusion test, considered one of the most difficult to pass, the Model S was the only car in the "good" category among the other top one percent of vehicles tested. Compared to the Volvo S60, which is also 5-star rated in all categories, the Model S preserved 63.5 percent of driver residual space vs. 7.8 percent for the Volvo.Tesla achieved this outcome by nesting multiple deep aluminum extrusions in the side rail of the car that absorb the impact energy (a similar approach was used by the Apollo Lunar Lander) and transfer load to the rest of the vehicle. This causes the pole to be either sheared off or to stop the car before the pole hits an occupant."

Is that what happened here?

Is that what happened here?

The pictures show a failure similar to when trees break in a storm, so no, thats not a clean shear.

But

1) the pictures don't show the front of the pole stump.
2) poles are very strong, cars normally die before the pole does.
3) So I expect some shearing has taken place

The resiliance of the Tesla Model S in its real life pole impact is remarkable, and unique for a vehicle of its weight.

figure 4 Vehicle Battery Pack Ballistic Shield - diagram, schematic, and image 05
from Vehicle Battery Pack Ballistic Shield http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20120160088
details it better.

In reading back I see that I based my remark on one of your comments: "At this point, I'm more concerned about the car than the woman." I think that, as a non-native speaker, I misunderstood the intent or meaning of your post. My apologies.
No worries. Sorry if my phrasing led to confusion here.

My point, at the time, was that we knew she was physically ok ("for better or worse", AC1K) but the car looked to be on its way to brickville.

I think the pole was not in good shape before the crash. In case of a crash in a living tree with a similar diameter you will see a totally wrecked car. Last weekend we had a really sad accident with a similar tree in my neighborhood:
welte_33.jpg

Amazing the windshield is intact. I've noticed this on several of the Model S accidents. Trying to think of an accident that chopped down a power pole and didn't shatter the windshield.

I think it's the just-released safety rating press release that talks about the frontal safety being "purely a function of energy over distance" when discussing the large crumple zone represented by the frunk with no engine block up front.

I suspect many frontal impacts will have far less intrusion on an S than cars with a typical engine/transmission combo up front.

2 things stood out to me (aside from her being charged with DUI):

#2 She's apparently a doctor. Wasn't the MS driver that hit the Honda in CA a doctor as well? I suppose it shouldn't be too surprising to see similar backgrounds considering the cost of the car.

In point of fact, she is not a physician, but rather a Certified Physician Assistant. Please be careful about the stereotypes

Drunk Woman Crashes Tesla Model S

34 year old woman was driving this Tesla drunk and crashed into a utility pole while messing with the radio stations. Since the Tesla is rated the safest sedan in the world, she didn't have any injuries. Like duh?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, so let me get this straight...Mr. and Mrs. Shibayama have each destroyed a P85 now? What are the odds? Just assuming with the last name and all.

Edit: Article for this accident says Kimberley Jill Shibayama and google says his wife is named Libby. Relation? Still....the odds.

Last edited:
Well that is quite statistically unlikely, isn't it? That's enough to give one pause. They are either terribly unlucky, make horrible driving decisions (the DUI clearly being such), or something else entirely. Hmmm.

- - - Updated - - -

Another possibility here: what if this is the exact same vehicle that hit the pole? Color config looks the same, but I would have assumed that the pole crash totaled the first vehicle. But what if it didn't? Could the battery pack have been compromised, and predisposed to further damage? All sorts of interesting possibilities here.

Raven, besides the quote earlier in this thread, can you confirm anywhere else that the first woman driver's name was Kimberly Jill Shibayama? I cannot find that in the original news reports online from Aug. 15. This is just too curious to be a complete coincidence, without resorting to conspiracy theories.

This is definitely more than a coincidence.

Kimberly Jill Shibayama, a 34 yo physicians assistant according to Google search, crashes a black Model S with gray wheels in Murfreesboro, TN in August.
Then Dr. Juris Shibayama, a 38 yo orthopedic surgeon practicing in Murfreesboro torches a black Model S with gray wheels in November?

Doubt she's his wife (that appears to be a Dr. Libby Shibayama) but maybe kid sister?
My bet is this is the same Tesla and Kimberly was test driving big brother's car. So either the first one was totaled and replaced with an identical model or this is the same car. Which definitely brings up the issue of previous battery damage.

Surreal.

Hopefully this is just a terribly unfortunate coincidence, or perhaps a family that should be encouraged to buy a different brand of car. But if I see a news story anytime soon about a George or Jane or Fred Shibayama who made a hundred million dollars shorting a hot stock on the NASDAQ, I am calling the SEC!!! :wink:

This is definitely more than a coincidence.

Kimberly Jill Shibayama, a 34 yo physicians assistant according to Google search, crashes a black Model S with gray wheels in Murfreesboro, TN in August.
Then Dr. Juris Shibayama, a 38 yo orthopedic surgeon practicing in Murfreesboro torches a black Model S with gray wheels in November?

Doubt she's his wife (that appears to be a Dr. Libby Shibayama) but maybe kid sister?
My bet is this is the same Tesla and Kimberly was test driving big brother's car. So either the first one was totaled and replaced with an identical model or this is the same car. Which definitely brings up the issue of previous battery damage.

Surreal.

Source for Jill as the driver of the pole crash?