Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the leaked pictures were in fact from Tesla, I think they probably have revised the designs as there was a significant backlash against the look generally and the horizontal screen in particular. I don't personally think they will try to consolidate all the UIs into a horizontal form factor, after all the roadster 2020 screen is going to be portrait.

And with regard to the current P100D being the fastest sedan ever made, prepare to be disappointed.

I think the horizontal screen is a done deal, with the S/X differentiator being a HUD as the “second screen”.

The interior leaked pictures don't look that great. The range will definitely increase, but all I care about is the performance. As long as the current P100D is still going to be the fastest sedan ever made, I will be OK with the update

They’re pretty basic, just intended to give the general style. I suspect it will be something quite exceptional, once done. And it will include door pockets and coat hangars! :)

Reactions: avesraggiana
Ah, but doesn’t the 2020 roadster have a vertical screen? I’d say it’s a 50/50 shot of which designs the S/X follow.

Roadster will always be low volume, unique, and expensive enough for a non-standard solution. There is more advantage to keeping the design and UI language consistent across the mass market cars and like I said I fully expect this is a done deal.

Correct! Refresh now scheduled summer. Model 3 permanent magnet front and Ac induction motor in back. Small readout in front of driver but not a screen per se. Very thin border less center floating screen. New taillights and active aero on tail .NOT going to the 3 battery pack WTF ( still can’t believe that, maybe disinformation campaign?) they are talking ~350 mile range. New heated and cooled seats and probable new door cards.

Correct! Refresh now scheduled summer. Model 3 permanent magnet front and Ac induction motor in back. Small readout in front of driver but not a screen per se. Very thin border less center floating screen. New taillights and active aero on tail .NOT going to the 3 battery pack WTF ( still can’t believe that, maybe disinformation campaign?) they are talking ~350 mile range. New heated and cooled seats and probable new door cards.

Sounds plausible (although I'm sad the refresh would come that late) except for one thing. I bet it's Model 3 permanent magnet REAR and induction motor in FRONT. The reasoning is: 1) permanent magnet has a few percentage points more efficiency, and since most of the power is delivered in the rear, you get the greatest benefit to total efficiency by having it there; 2) the benefit of induction is the ability to do torque sleep in the front while power is delivered to the rear, so induction goes in the front; 3) cooling is easier in permanent magnet motors, so having those in the rear allows track use (as in the M3P) without going into limp home mode. Also, the rear permanent magnet motor may need to be larger than in the 3, perhaps a double-sized design for Model S performance versions.

Sounds plausible (although I'm sad the refresh would come that late) except for one thing. I bet it's Model 3 permanent magnet REAR and induction motor in FRONT.

What if that at least in the performance version they are keeping the induction motor in the rear as it has higher performance, but for cruising/daily driving it would essentially be a front wheel drive car on the Model 3 PM motor to get the better efficiency.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I don't see them running two parallel packs/drive trains. They will likely have a 100, but I expect that it will be a reduced version of the new larger pack. You don't want to have two completely different systems on the same assembly line; that would be a mess.

Tesla has a long history of replacing Model S packs for early design failures. A lot of the existing vehicles will need replacement packs and drive motors. I can’t seem them scrapping existing tools and making replacement packs by hand.

Drive motors may be easier. If they can have a modular sub-frame and ability to retrofit newer DUs as replacements then they don’t need to keep stock of old model DUs. In the same train of thought if they do keep the chemistry the same then they may be able to design the new pack building tools to be able to build an old model pack for warranty replacements.

I think the law requires a manufacturer to keep new replacement parts available for 7 years after a product is made. If that’s accurate Tesla needs to have a stockpile to repair 2019 Model S cars all the way until at least 2026. It would certainly be worth keeping the machinery around or better yet try to engineer new DUs and battery packs so they could be retrofitted.

Reactions: BBone

If someone wants to sell me their pre-refresh S, I’ll gladly buy it. Screw this center screen only nonsense.

erik_k:
Your language in the first sentence of post 2052 is put out there as if it were fact and, intentionally or not, sounds a bit inflammatorily negative. Would you please state the source of your claim?
Thank you,
Charlie
Apologies. That wasn’t my intent. Just seems that people discussing reliability concerns in the Model S forums haven’t ever noted a battery failure where Tesla didn’t fix it. 85 battery packs are upgraded to 90s in some reported replacements. That kind of warranty coverage where Tesla takes care of their customers and cars is so much better than any other maker I’ve heard of makes me more likely to buy a Tesla as opposed to another EV brand.
I would go back and edit my post to phrase it differently but I’m unable.

One thing I think is interesting is how they laid off a bunch of the Model X and S lines before the reduction in sales came through. I could see Tesla killing the Falcon Wing Doors in the X (unfortunately) and I think they are going to try to use materials to differentiate the S and X. But I anticipate the Vertical screen is going away, as are the door handles, the car will get lighter, and get aero wheel options, I think the most interesting thing regarding the battery pack is going to be something that is like a precursor of what they are planning int he roadster, stacking two packs on top of each other. Expect 450 mile range in the S and 400 in the X. I wouldn't be surprised if they turn the car into a powerwall eventually if they can somehow. Expect new air suspension supplier, and continued refinements and massively different wiring and simplification of the vehicle. Expect doubling down on push button exit latches on the interior, and expect air conditioning vent change.
Maybe expect them to do something different, like unveil potential moonroof option as they surely are going to take advantage of the the weird patent they developed.
Expect a lot of people that upgrade to new version of model X and S experiencing buyers remorse as they idealize their old S and X... basically people AP1 versus AP2 all over again.... eventually it will probably be much more reliable and more bug resistant and yet. Everything will get tow hitches. Expect more fool proof cupholders rather than unfolding and high tech... I don't know how they make the car faster with the 2170 batteries but I'm sure they will figure something out. I'm going to guess some nutty bigger motors in the Performance versions.... Like whatever they are going to put in the roadster.

Expect it to be fairly righteous. In the mean time I need to find a Tesla Mechanic that I can kidnap and keep in the basement to fix my model X falcon wing doors in the year 2040 since I don't want to sell my Teslas. Upgrading is for quitters.

Apologies. That wasn’t my intent. Just seems that people discussing reliability concerns in the Model S forums haven’t ever noted a battery failure where Tesla didn’t fix it. 85 battery packs are upgraded to 90s in some reported replacements. That kind of warranty coverage where Tesla takes care of their customers and cars is so much better than any other maker I’ve heard of makes me more likely to buy a Tesla as opposed to another EV brand.
I would go back and edit my post to phrase it differently but I’m unable.

I don’t think that’s particularly impressive. It’s under warranty, of course they should replace it. And the fact that they replaced it with a 90 just means they ran out of 85s for who knows what reason. Now, if they did that out of warranty, that would be impressive. This way, it’s just their obligation.

I'll be very upset if they put a bolt on display in a $100k car. I think the interior of the 3 is very lacking, one of the main reasons I went with the S. If the rumors are true I'll be glad I bought my S before they ruined it
This is just silly. Personal preference is one thing but calling the Model 3 MCU “bolt on” is some pretty serious hyperbole.

Status
Not open for further replies.