TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S range and interior update imminent?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Thorbjorn, Jul 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DanCar

DanCar Member

• Like x 1
  2. Magellan55

Magellan55 Member

Keep in mind not all changes are good. And once they make the change, you can't order the old one anymore, and there's no guarantee you'll find the exact config you want from inventory. So if you like the car you see today, you might be best off ordering it. I was on the fence between a 100D and P100D, when they updated the interior trim last year and dropped the cream option on the P models. I checked around and had my sales rep check too, and no red/cream P100D's in inventory. So I had to settle for the 100D. It did save me from spending an extra $32K though, and I do like the new light oak trim that comes with the cream.

3. IchDochNicht

IchDochNicht Member

When you have limited resources, you have to decide which will have the biggest impact. In the case of Tesla, they may have decided to invest in accelerating the Model Y instead of refreshing the S/X, because the volume and profit potential for Model Y is so much greater. Maybe that's what the added capacity in Fremont is all about.

Just a thought...

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  4. Whyvas

Whyvas New Member

Maybe they'll let you seniors have some big boy charging too!

5. bhzmark

bhzmark Supporting Member

Back in 2017
    By "on the inside" I see you actually meant that they were in prison.

• Funny x 1
  6. Fred42

Fred42 Member

I suspect they didn't want another round of writing down their inventory so soon after Raven, which was late. And they judged the market didn't require the change at this time to sell S's and X's.

7. R.S

R.S Active Member

Maybe 6 months Elon standard time? Maybe the whole company had adopted Elon’s measurement of them.

I guess this has something to do with interstellar travel. Some day Elon’s space ships will travel multiple light years in 3-6 months.

• Funny x 1
  8. PPower19

PPower19 Member

Honestly, I think it’s better for Tesla to focus on ramping up model 3 production and to get model Y ready for production, rather than do another refresh/update on the model S and X. Model S and X is still niche market compared to 3 and Y.

• Like x 3
  9. DocZ

DocZ Member

The S HAS to get upgrades, plain and simple. Raven wasn’t enough. They have to keep selling their premium flagship product, especially with cars like the Taycan on the horizon. They’re not going to abandon the S/X in favor of the 3/Y.

• Like x 3
  10. jebinc

jebinc M3 LR AWD w/FSD and white premium interior

They might not abandon it, but being a publicly traded company now, there's a lot of pressure to reduce cost and increase volume - hence, increase shareholder value. For these reasons, they may just focus a majority of their efforts on the high volume 3/Y and future pickup trucks....

• Like x 3
  11. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

#2751 AmpedRealtor, Jul 13, 2019 at 8:32 AM
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019 at 8:37 AM
    Not when compared to the more modern light-pipes in the Model 3, Model X, and even (gasp) Kias.

It is amazing that some people are willing to spend $80k+ for a car that has 7 year-old tail light design that doesn't keep pace, aesthetically or technically, with its Model 3 and Model X siblings. Or even a $20k Kia for that matter. I have lots of stuff I'd like to sell to someone like you.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  12. PPower19

PPower19 Member

A car is more than a tail light. And do you think you get a new car if they change the tail light? Come on. Yes it would be nice with some new stuff here and there, but come on, the model S is still the most beautiful car you can buy (my honest opinion) even if they haven’t changed much (visually) the last 3 years.

• Like x 5
  13. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

Agree. The Y is the future of the company. S/X are nice-to-haves at this point and secondary priority.

14. rory breaker

rory breaker Member

What makes me most bullish on Tesla is my own conversion I experienced as an owner. I was a euro lux rip roarin v8 dude, loving gobs of cf and sharply styled cars.

Now i find myself more interested in autopilot autosuspension autoupdates supercharger dog mode summon blah blah. Moreso than the aggressiveness of the front bumper or the style of the taillight. This is a daily driver and daily driving things that matter win.

Never thought I would feel that way as a performance car enthusiast but *sugar* it does that too :) Think Im gonna order a raven and not wait...like a sucker :)

• Like x 5
    • Love x 1
  15. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Active Member

Same could be said of someone's actual ass? :rolleyes:

16. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Active Member

They have updated the tail lights. Newer designs don;t have the condensation issue.

I think the Model S tail lights look just fine. I'd greatly value an interior door pocket or compartment more than any tail light update.

Also not implementing frivolous exterior changes helps with the resale value of vehicles.

The Model S exterior still looks thoroughly modern and I would like them to change as little of it as possible.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  17. RobStark

RobStark Well-Known Member

Partly because of brand loyalty.

Partly because there is no cheaper compelling electric Audi. If Audi had Model 3 clone at Model 3 prices I very much doubt Etron outsells Model S/X.

Partly because Model 3 is cannibalizing Model S sales.

And only partly because some prefer Audi interior.

• Like x 1
  18. RobStark

Despite GM pulling out of the mainstream market GM still markets Cadillac in Europe.

In Europe Ford has Vignale Spec trim levels instead of Lincoln. £30k for a Ford Mondeo Vignale?

Both Cadillac and Lincoln compete in China too.

19. chandlerr85

chandlerr85 New Member

Just came here from tesla investors club, appreciate the info, but it seems no one got your stripes reference

• Like x 1
  20. RobStark

Thera are model years. You can buy a 2012, 2013, 2014 Tesla etc.

And there are refreshes. Ditching the nosecone was one. Raven another.

Difference is refreshes don't correspond to Model Years.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1