Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As reliable as the info the employees I talked to have access to. Don't want to give names or positions since I don't want anyone to get in trouble. I am waiting to upgrade myself to a p100d ( or 105/110) with an upgraded interior, and tweaked autopilot. May know more in 1 week

Nice. I’m just wondering if that’s employees guessing (since most of the time they don’t have any more info than we do) or if they really do have access to info.

A lot of times the people on the forums are more knowledgeable than tesla employees

I also got from a tesla employee that an totally update interior is in the works for the model s, he only told me it as geared to compete with a mercedes benz interior and was very impressed by it.

So a major update rather than a minor refresh?
That sounds like great news!

I personally quite like the current Mercedes interiors on the S-Class and even the E-Class.
0F16DB37-BA00-43F1-92A6-7328303A7E1F.jpeg

Though the new Audi and Porsche interiors seem more inline with Tesla’s contemporary/minimalist design language:
826A51E0-73DD-4B48-8DCF-759DC19761A0.jpeg
519435C9-FEE2-446C-919B-BD9D01D2CB05.png

All 3 are great IMO.

I really hope they add new seats with more adjustability, eg. extendable thigh supports too.

Maybe this is the reason they have been pushing inventory and showroom deals. I just hope it's this quarter

Sorry. If they went to that Mercedes interior I wouldn't have bought a tesla. I really like the current simplistic look. It's just great. Focus more on snappier touch screen and better UI and apps for the touch screen.

Sorry. If they went to that Mercedes interior I wouldn't have bought a tesla. I really like the current simplistic look. It's just great. Focus more on snappier touch screen and better UI and apps for the touch screen.

I doubt Tesla will create an ornate interior design like the Benz. That’s why I said the new Audi interior is more in keeping with Tesla’s design language.

But they can add premium materials throughout, have great seats, add features and bells and whistles, enhance comfort, improve build quality plus a 100 other little things that add up to a lot. Maybe he meant using the Benz as a benchmark rather than copying its design language.

Agree with this and hope this is the route they go. Man that update needs to happen soon!

Are tesla owners asking for this update or new buyers? From what I see the current look of the model S is superior to the 3 as it is. I can see slight improvements sure..but an all out refresh? I’m not sure a new buyer to Tesla would be so picky lol

Seems to be a lot of Tesla owners asking for this? Most luxury cars go 7yrs with hardly any changes let alone subtle improvements every year...

• Disagree
Reactions: gowthamn
to further my conversation, he told me an completely new interior to match the price tag of the model s. I asked him about any exterioir updates he said no. I also asked him on any update on battery capacity he also told me no.
Damn, I was really hoping they would reconfigure the battery to a denser pack that up the range into the mid 300 mile area. I'll be happy with a new interior I guess. I wish they would also allow the XM radio with the full glass roof as well.

Is this a Tesla store employee or someone with actual first hand knowledge of design and production?

Exactly. Unless this person is in the factory or on the design team, the credibility of statements from sales folk is dubious as they know about as much as we do...often less.

Also at the risk of losing ones career, what would motivate someone to leak the info?

I’m all for a refresh but there have been rumours floating for close to 6 months now...

I’m all for a refresh but there have been rumours floating for close to 6 months now...

Because it makes sense. The big screen computer upgrade alone, as well as the interior camera seen in Model 3, is something that might well include an updated dash. Add to this the persistent HUD rumors (maybe a really big augmented reality one) and how long in the tooth the interior of the rest of the car is, features-wise, it does make sense.

And there is also the Model X facelift code being seen...

I am definitely not surprised if an interior refresh comes real soon now, but then again if something is delayed, could be Q1 too. Anyway, both interior and battery refershes within the next 1-6 months seem very likely IMO, to align things with the Model 3.

Reactions: bhuwan
Have test driven a S in Boston and again yesterday in Nashville. Nash rep would have been very, very happy to search inventory to find what we wanted and I think I truly left him speechless when I told him I wanted to delay delivery as long as possible. Currently plan (if we actually pull the trigger) is to wait until Oct 30/31 to see/hope for news of something new and then do it. That _should_ give delivery around end of year, which will get us the tax credit for 2017 and hopefully see a refresh or upgrade of whatever interior/tech hardware we can get.

Because it makes sense. The big screen computer upgrade alone, as well as the interior camera seen in Model 3, is something that might well include an updated dash. Add to this the persistent HUD rumors (maybe a really big augmented reality one) and how long in the tooth the interior of the rest of the car is, features-wise, it does make sense.

And there is also the Model X facelift code being seen...

I am definitely not surprised if an interior refresh comes real soon now, but then again if something is delayed, could be Q1 too. Anyway, both interior and battery refershes within the next 1-6 months seem very likely IMO, to align things with the Model 3.

I agree with above that changes are due. Only past history has shown gradual smaller changes instead of a large one. I would think a drastic interior chanage would occur with a whole new model S (2019/2020) and in the interim we will continue to see updates on the same theme.
Full redesign? I’m not sure any auto company would spend the large $ in re-tooling all its design, compete interior style, parts and assembly knowing the entire car is due for a complete redesign within 2-2.5yrs. Mid cycle refresh? More likely as it is a more cost effective way to maintain the freshness of the product.

So far over the past 3-4 yrs, we have seen seats improve, door and dash materials improve, rear cup holders, new centre console, quieter cabin, new colours, new software etc. I could see materials improving, auto doors (model X), richer materials, OS9.0, maybe some new steering wheel etc as these again are cost-effective ways to refresh without a full re-design which would come with a whole new car design.

Status
Not open for further replies.