Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wrong, CraZ8 was right - the permanent magnet motor is in front. It was just announced. I bow to you and your sources.

It was kind of common sense also, when the HP isn't needed you want the smaller front motor doing all of the work so you're not powering larger rear motor. more efficient but constantly powered motor mean you'd choose the PM for the front so you can turn the back off.

So I could buy a brand new P100DL for $99K and still have the vertical screen?:p

Any idea how long this $20K loyalty program will last?

FYI, P100D(L) range now 345 miles, same as the 100D was before the range increase.

10 Miles more, the S was rated at 335.

I was wrong, CraZ8 was right - the permanent magnet motor is in front. It was just announced. I bow to you and your sources.

It was kind of common sense also, when the HP isn't needed you want the smaller front motor doing all of the work so you're not powering larger rear motor. more efficient but constantly powered motor mean you'd choose the PM for the front so you can turn the back off.

My thought in guessing it was the other way was that putting the permanent magnet motor in the front and torque-sleeping the rear (like they are doing now) would mean the S would be running as a front wheel drive car most of the time. I thought that could change the handling of the car, possibly introducing some level of undesirable torque steer, and could require a re-write of stability control software. Since the 3 is permanent rear and induction front, it runs mostly in rear wheel drive. I had assumed they would want to be consistent about this across the product line, so I assumed the arrangement of motors would be the other way, just like the 3.

And if you still have induction rear you don't get improved cooling under full power to get track performance, like the 3.

Last edited:
Here's a strikingly on-topic question for this thread: When the ventilated seats came back, the P100D was the only S that got them. I just checked tesla.com, and it doesn't look like it has them anymore? Was that removed just now, or with the name change from "P100D" to "Performance" not long ago.

EDIT: I just noticed someone posted a separate thread about this an hour ago.
Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I see this as the strongest piece of evidence that there really is going to be an interior refresh next quarter. Why take away a good feature like those seats? -- I think the most likely reason is to run down inventories of the regular seats (or to not have to restock the perforated seats once again) just before the interior changes.

Reactions: DDotJ and kavyboy
Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I see this as the strongest piece of evidence that there really is going to be an interior refresh next quarter. Why take away a good feature like those seats? -- I think the most likely reason is to run down inventories of the regular seats (or to not have to restock the perforated seats once again) just before the interior changes.

They also stopped making the Textile seats as well. I bet it's a production streamlining thing...

Yes was thinking the same thing but is this with an interior refresh? When you configure on the website you see the old interior. I do like the idea of the new active suspension. The wife’s Range Rover Velar rides like a cloud compared to my S

I like the current interior. I don't want a refresh. I do like the new lighted vanity mirrors(which I added to my P85D for my wife), the rear cup holders and usb outlets....oh and the adjustable memory headrests. I also like my panoramic roof which I'd have to give up since it seems it's no longer an option....oh and I'd have to give up the nose cone which I like way better than the current front design.

They also stopped making the Textile seats as well. I bet it's a production streamlining thing...
Hmmm... Taking away a bargain basement choice like textile seats is a good decision if the benefit of streamlining production more than offsets the higher costs of the standard seats. But I think it's a different matter to take away a positive feature that was put there to help differentiate the high-priced performance version of the S and thus make it more likely at the margin for customers to be willing to pay up for that version. If Tesla does that just to streamline production of a car that already has fewer options and trim lines than just about any other high priced car, then they might as well really streamline it and just offer the S painted black.

Hmmm... Taking away a bargain basement choice like textile seats is a good decision if the benefit of streamlining production more than offsets the higher costs of the standard seats. But I think it's a different matter to take away a positive feature that was put there to help differentiate the high-priced performance version of the S and thus make it more likely at the margin for customers to be willing to pay up for that version. If Tesla does that just to streamline production of a car that already has fewer options and trim lines than just about any other high priced car, then they might as well really streamline it and just offer the S painted black.

I think the differentiation was needed when they only had the S and X, but now someone that wants to spend less can get a 3, and soon a Y, which solves it, albeit differently. Does BMW, Audi, or Mercedes offer cloth seats?

My thought in guessing it was the other way was that putting the permanent magnet motor in the front and torque-sleeping the rear (like they are doing now) would mean the S would be running as a front wheel drive car most of the time. I thought that could change the handling of the car, possibly introducing some level of undesirable torque steer, and could require a re-write of stability control software. Since the 3 is permanent rear and induction front, it runs mostly in rear wheel drive. I had assumed they would want to be consistent about this across the product line, so I assumed the arrangement of motors would be the other way, just like the 3.

And if you still have induction rear you don't get improved cooling under full power to get track performance, like the 3.

By the time you apply any noticeable power to get torque steer the rear should have already come alive. and if not, you'd want to the FWD aspect to reduce chances of the rear stepping out requiring traction control intervention.

• Informative
Reactions: sillydriver
Unlikely to be worse. The torque and power settings are set by Tesla. If Tesla picks a smaller, less powerful motor for the front, they can simply dial up those for the rear.

But that would worsen 0-60 since the P100DL is traction limited up to 55 MPH so you can't add more to the rear and taking away from the front will be....well....less without adding more to the rear.

I think it's ALL S&X owners. If you've bought one, regardless of year, you're good. Now the question is whether you need to have bought it new (or does used qualify too?), and if you need to be a current owner (or just having bought one new in the past).

Got it - for some reason I thought there was a list of years/models that qualify. But you do raise some good follow-up questions.

Ludicrous mode for free is a nice incentive, but I like the idea of the 370 range over the 345 range of the performance upgrade. We're really splitting hairs - the gap from 100DL to P100DLP (without the ludicrous mode) is very slim. I wonder if there are other perks with the new P.

I like the current interior. I don't want a refresh. I do like the new lighted vanity mirrors(which I added to my P85D for my wife), the rear cup holders and usb outlets....oh and the adjustable memory headrests. I also like my panoramic roof which I'd have to give up since it seems it's no longer an option....oh and I'd have to give up the nose cone which I like way better than the current front design.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic, but I will say, I do prefer the original S floor without center console - which is the ONLY thing I don't like about my 3!

I think the differentiation was needed when they only had the S and X, but now someone that wants to spend less can get a 3, and soon a Y, which solves it, albeit differently. Does BMW, Audi, or Mercedes offer cloth seats?

Does Merc etc. offer cloth seats on their models that are priced like the S? Absolutely not. But that's not the point. Does Merc, etc offer differentiated seats on the AMG/RS/M high-performance models in order to help differentiate the cars and encourage customers to pay up? They absolutely do. All of them.

Or as a wise man said ...

Removing ventilated seats = removing value. Bad.

...the P100DL is traction limited up to 55 MPH...
The car doesn't spin the wheels as fast as it can until the wheels break free and then traction control backs off a bit. The car has a fixed torque setting all the way until the power limit.

Are you contending that Tesla set the fixed torque limit just below where moderately expensive tires would break free at the start of that torque limit and that the P85D and P90D were not traction limited? That would be possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.