Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't agree with 2 things that get complained about here often - sunroof and model 3 dash design.
I have a sunroof that I only got because there was no other glass roof. I open it sometimes but would be happy to delete it. My wife has a 3 that I drive all the time. I like her car better for many reasons ... and I also like my car for many reasons.
But the dash design? - nothing that reaches the level of whether or not to buy a car. I would be perfectly happy with an S version of the 3's dash.

Question - does it really make sense to have a 2nd refresh before a redo? Obviously Tesla can break industry norms and they do.
But then does it really make sense to massage sheet metal 1-2 years before a complete redo? We know Plaid has to require a redo and you aren't going to have 2 S platforms.

...We know Plaid has to require a redo and you aren't going to have 2 S platforms.
I agree we aren’t going to have two S platforms but why would Plaid require a redo?

Do you think a change to the frame motor mounts constitutes a redo? I am not convinced the battery pack will require differently sized cells.

How sure are we that a heat pump will be in Plaid? Is is just assumed because we know that the current cooling isn’t track friendly?

My bet is that the next revision of the S big enough to be considered a redo is based on the roadster platform and is several years out.

Last edited:
I agree we aren’t going to have two S platforms but why would Plaid require a redo?

Do you think a change to the frame motor mounts constitutes a redo? I am not convinced the battery pack will require differently sized cells.

How sure are we that a heat pump will be in Plaid? Is is just assumed because we know that the current cooling isn’t track friendly?

My bet is that the next revision of the S big enough to be considered a redo is based on the roadster platform and is several years out.

The Plaid will require some body work at the minimum to accommodate the wider tires, better cooling for the brakes and other components and better downforce. With current battery tech in the S/X I dont think they can reach the 800km+ range so theyll be using the larger cells imo. It wont be a ground up re-design as many think (and hope for) I think it will be smaller changes every little bit until the launch of the Plaid, but then again I am just going off what I think and not much factual evidence :)

Reactions: serendipitous
But the dash design? - nothing that reaches the level of whether or not to buy a car. I would be perfectly happy with an S version of the 3's dash.

Question - does it really make sense to have a 2nd refresh before a redo? Obviously Tesla can break industry norms and they do.
But then does it really make sense to massage sheet metal 1-2 years before a complete redo? We know Plaid has to require a redo and you aren't going to have 2 S platforms.

Obviously Tesla is looking over their shoulder at Lucid as the huge price drops and mileage leapfrogging show. But S sales have been dropping. Tesla is at a crossroads on the 8 year old MS design.

Keeping the old sheet metal would be ok, a few minor updates there would still keep the classic lines. Like whats Porsche has done with the 911. But they are not going to match Lucid's motor and electrical system approach.

That leaves two areas, and neither would "upstage" the coming Plaid. In fact, they would set the stage better:

It would be really smoking hot if Tesla took their cues from aviation and styled the dash after a glass panel primary flight display, and use better sensors and sensor fusion to provide an enhanced birds-eye view of the car and its immediate surroundings as the centerpiece.

I test drove a MS last week and I was impressed by what they have done, but in terms of sophistication it is like an early 1980's Pong video game. They should be shooting for a sophistication the equivalent of Call of Duty. That fancy watt/hour display is mildly interesting, but does nothing for safety or SA (situational awareness). Just takes up a lot space and is not really all that clever.

The other area is of course the interior. It is comfortable, but rather Plain Jane. I have zero fashion sense, so I wont speculate here other than to say a leather option would be nice (and expected) at this price level.

The other area is of course the interior. It is comfortable, but rather Plain Jane. I have zero fashion sense, so I wont speculate here other than to say a leather option would be nice (and expected) at this price level.
I don't think Tesla will ever offer leather again. We've had their synthetic leather seats nearly 4 years and have been 100% satisfied with them.

I'm not a super luxury seeking sort of guy, but I do hope that Tesla focuses a bit less on "cost reduction" on the Plaid. If I'm spending $150K on a depreciating asset, I'd like it at least somewhat comparable to others at that level.

That said, I like the interior of my current S. It's "nice", but could be better. I had a BMW M5 in the past that had much nicer materials, while still being sporty and not so cushy. Real aluminum on knobs vs Tesla's plastic, extra soft and supple leather vs Tesla's leather that more matches what you'd find on a BMW 3 series (my wife has one - it has a "nice" interior as well.). I'm sure the higher quality leather could be synthesized - I don't care where it came from, I only care about the end result.

In the past, Tesla embraced their less is more interior. It is much less complicated than the interiors of other competitively priced offerings. While some liked the hundred button and multi surfaces designs of other brands, Tesla has gained their own following for the cleaner look.
Perhaps some of this was due to Tesla needing to spend more $ on their battery packs. Now, with battery costs being constantly pushed lower, Tesla might be freeded up to spend more $ on their interiors. This might lead to options for an upgraded premium interior as well.

TIme will tell, but Tesla seems to be holding all the cards right now and has the capability of going down several different routes.

Many still feel that the current Model S is still one of the best looking cars on the road. Their sleek 4 door hatchback design has many utility benefits as well.

Reactions: COS Blue
Realistically Tesla is not a luxury car manufacturer so whatever is done in the refresh it will be most for aesthetics and wont improve on build quality. Tesla is more focused on autopilot tech and battery tech, so for those holding out for a quieter interior and higher quality materials you are looking in the wrong place. Electric cars are expensive to build at this time, and to get German executive levels of quality and fit and finish with high range and power you are looking at prices in the Taycan range, and even then you aren't getting the highest range of an electric car. The Plaid's higher price will almost all go into the upgrades to the powertrain (new motor, battery, cooling systems etc.)

I have a 2016 Model S that I love. I also have a Model Y and really dislike the touchscreen. I, also, would not purchase another S if it had the 3/Y screen. Compared to the Model S, the Y is a Yugo.
I totally agree, unless Tesla dropped the price by 30,000, I would never buy a Model S with the Model 3/Y interior. Unfortunately I think that is what Elon plans to do. The new dash will not appeal to people looking for a premium car.

When Mercedes, Audi, and BMW deliver their premium sedans, the dash will look amazing and Tesla's dash will look like they stuck an iPad in the middle of the dash.

Franz (has it easy. Design a new car every (what's the math)

The Cybertruck unveil shows just how brave Tesla design is. Any team that focused on bullet proof as a design element for a truck is full of people with pure genius.

And our 2013 Model S is still one of the most beautiful timeless designs ever.

I trust the inevitable interior and exterior updates will be special.

Depreciation of old ones might be limited by increased price of a new model.

Yep. Currently you can get a brand new Performance Model S for $91,990 with Ludicrous Mode and Autopilot included.

The Plaid Model S will start at $139,990.

That's a $48,000 (52.2%) price increase.

If Tesla doesn't have plaid until late 2021, I hope they release a version with the 2170 cells retrofitted and a heat pump. That could make a 500+ mile range Model S. It would keep sales up and provide less shock to recent buyers when they make the leap to 4680. They could even increase the price.

Last edited:
I wanted to buy a new Model S but had so much trouble with my Model 3 that now I will wait to see the updated version of the Model S and the price and range. I will compare it with the Lucid. I am so sick of dealing with Tesla that I will go with the Lucid if it is anywhere close in price. No one could be worse to deal with than Tesla. My friend just got his new Model S and it quit in the first week leaving him stranded. They put in the front wheel sensors wrong and everything showed up a failure on the screen and then shut down completely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.