Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Munro speculated the batteries would be immersed into some sort of epoxy and cooling only from top and bottom bottom (which was supposed to be somehow most efficient). Probably the epoxy mix can be optimized for structural strength, fire insulation, and heat conductivity ...

it seems that fire insulation and heat conductivity would be pulling in two different design directions...

This may be part of the solution... First look at Tesla’s new structural battery pack that will power its future electric cars (electrek.co)

Tesla-structural-battery-pack.jpg
From the photo in the article, it appears to be 23 cells per row and 40 rows for a grand total of 920 of the new larger 4680 cells.
But it's a mock-up and not an actual pack. Those dark circles aren't uniform enough to be actual batteries, unless there's a serious QC problem right now.

• Funny
Reactions: Nda721
From the photo in the article, it appears to be 23 cells per row and 40 rows for a grand total of 920 of the new larger 4680 cells.
But it's a mock-up and not an actual pack. Those dark circles aren't uniform enough to be actual batteries, unless there's a serious QC problem right now.

Assuming a 100KWh battery pack, that would mean 14.7 Ah per cell if my math is right.

If it has a model 3 center screen, I would not like it...

Right. My fear is that Tesla will make changes to the S and X to make them more similar to Model 3/Y and cheaper to build and support. With only a horizontal screen, e.g., they would need only one version of the firmware to operate the screens instead of the two (or more?) they have now, for the horizontal and vertical formats. That would probably save them a lot of trouble, time and effort in maintaining and improving the firmware over time. I could perhaps live with with a horizontal screen (if it were nicely integrated into the dash) but only if they keep the instrument cluster. And I would not want them to replace the Model S/X steering wheel and associated controls with the cheaper/simpler Model 3/Y version, which forces you to use the center screen for more adjustments. But total standardization of the firmware would require one single horizontal screen and the same steering wheel controls, so I fear that is the direction they will go.
If there is an updated interior, I hope it allows more choices of colors and finishes. This business of only allowing three arbitrary combinations is ridiculous at this premium price point.
I also dread the possible exterior changes. Right now, even a 2012 Model S is still a beautiful car, and still looks modern to my eyes. I would not mind some minor tweaks, but I hope Tesla does not make changes just for change sake, or for "fashion" sake. Better headlights might be good (but only if they do not coast a zillion dollars to replace when broken) and maybe a horizontal light bar in the rear as a token to today's style (and how about amber turn signals in the rear while they are at it), but nothing too drastic, please. I'd hope to see the sunroof option again, but I won't hold my breath.
Unfortunately, I suspect they would not fix some of the functional things people have long complained about, such as the large un-wiped areas of the windshield, the lack of defroster vents for the side windows (ridiculous for this price point), lack of adjustable shoulder belts, and the various noise and air leaks (much of which comes from the frameless windows they insist on using).
Oh, and keys. I'd hate to lose my fob -- it has not failed me, and I am wary of relying on my phone as the key.
If they replace the heater with a heat pump, which seems promising for efficiency and effectiveness, I hope they use one large enough for the larger interior volume of the S and X, and don't just try to "make do" with the 3/Y version....and that they have done some through thorough cold weather testing.
Count me as pessimistic, I guess. Hopefully we will know more next week at the earnings call....

Interesting—is this par for the course on the S/X line (fully draped vehicles)? If not, it would lend much credence to the notion of an external refresh (that Tesla is trying to hide for at least a few more days...). Well done @gaswalla!
When we were on a factory tour in 2017, we saw them pulling Model 3 bodies around. Some were under sheets. Some weren't. :cool:

Spotted at Fremont today - interestingly only vehicles transported with covers. Refresh?

From the second photo it looks like cover is drooping over the roof (between the windshield and rear hatch), so it could be that the glass roof is not installed yet and the covers are there to protect from potential rain (started raining in the bay area again today).

Curious what the general consensus is on Model S pricing with the possible upcoming release of the updated Model S. it seems the Tesla site is showing a "base" S is less than $68K if you build it. Is the new model going to be priced the same or higher? And if the same, that would put a downward pressure on the current Model S market price.

Curious what the general consensus is on Model S pricing with the possible upcoming release of the updated Model S. it seems the Tesla site is showing a "base" S is less than $68K if you build it. Is the new model going to be priced the same or higher? And if the same, that would put a downward pressure on the current Model S market price.

They raised the price five grand in Europe so something similar might happen in the states. It would ease a lot of the “but I JUST BOUGHT MINE” whining after it’s announced.

From the second photo it looks like cover is drooping over the roof (between the windshield and rear hatch), so it could be that the glass roof is not installed yet and the covers are there to protect from potential rain (started raining in the bay area again today).

Excellent eye, my friend—in my initial excitement, I completely missed that detail. Hmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.