Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Reservation Tally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I'm taking advantage of the fact that the $40k is refundable. In talking w/ my wife and showing her the design studio, it looks like we're headed towards a heavily optioned car. Wife: Oooh, I like the Shasta Pearl White. Oooh, I like the panoramic roof. Me: Oooh, I want the 300 mile pack. Both: Oooh, sport would be nice depending on how much it costs. So I'm rolling the dice that a Sig will be cheaper than a similarly optioned standard car. If it isn't (I assume we'll have the full option list before we have to commit to Sig delivery) then I'll drop back to a standard 300-miler. I figure the money isn't earning me much in a savings account so why not?

Keep in mind though, that you DO lose your spot if you downgrade (according to the rep that I've been emailing with anywho)

They've stated $80k-ish before. I've also heard $90k-ish reports from some. Both of which are complicated by a lack of knowing which statements are assuming the tax credit.

My take was to make the reservation and if I don't like the Sig options/price then back out to a general production model. I've not heard what Tesla's policy will be if you decide to back out to GP, where you go in line. I can say I would be extremely upset if it bumps me to the back of the line after putting the $40k up on an unknown price/feature set. I have a hard time believing Tesla would treat a Sig reservation holder who still wants to buy a non-Sig that callously though.

I posted before seeing your post, but yes, this is exactly what I was told:

If you were to upgrade and then later decide to downgrade back to General Production, we would not be able to place you back to your previous sequence number. We would place you into the next available reservation slot.

Which is a bummer... Though said rep still hasn't gotten back to me since Monday on even moving forward with the upgrade, so who knows, Sigs might be all gone by then.

That's why I was originally going to keep my $5k GP number as well as the Sig number. Circumstances, however, dictated an upgrade instead. If I do later decide to downgrade to a GP, I guess I'll just have to wait for a later model. Not exactly a fate worse than death.

I posted before seeing your post, but yes, this is exactly what I was told.
I'm not sure quite what "next available reservation slot" means. Is that the end of the line or do you get to fill the next GP slot where someone dropped out? The later wouldn't be too bad.

If it's the end of the line though, they'll likely lose my sale. Elon begged people in his presentation to spread the message. Folks willing to put up Sig reservations are some of your best candidates to do that. That'd be a really terrible PR move to take that kind of customer and punish them for the fact Tesla wasn't able to publish sufficient data ahead of time for the customer to know what a Sig really entails.

(I assume we'll have the full option list before we have to commit to Sig delivery) then I'll drop back to a standard 300-miler. I figure the money isn't earning me much in a savings account so why not?

So since you have a Roadster and bought a standard last year and now went to a sig did you get the R $discount?

Last edited:
The special signature series would explain how my original S#188 went to S#69. I couldn't fathom how over 100 people ahead of me dropped off the signature list. If they moved them over to the special signature category, it makes sense.

What I want to know is how many founders series cars are there? I met a guy at the Tesla event that had F#20. Obviously Tesla won't likely reveal that number, but whatever that number is pushes back delivery for everyone else.

@Jkam, don't want to burst anyones bubble but you realize that if that's Roadster owners moving to Sig Special it didn't really change your place in line?
When I read his post it doesn't sound to me like he actually thought he moved up 100 places. If anything it sounds like he was relieved when he learned they started a different list - otherwise it would imply those 100 people know something he doesn't :)

If that's true, then we're at a total of around 710 signature reservations! Of course there could have been defectors and at some point Tesla will need to compress the stack.
I wonder what they'll do with open Sig slots from people that decline the Sig or had to withdraw for other reasons. Will they just produce less Sigs? Will they have a Sig waiting list?

If Sigs are gone by the time options are fully known and I don't want mine, I wonder if I could sell my Sig spot to someone? Black market Sig spots :tongue:

If I remember correctly there was a prohibition from transfer of your position. However, you could take posession and do a "dual transfer" within two weeks of the initial sale and a second sales tax would not be due. Check your local tax rules.

From a talk I had today, it would seem that rule is more to prevent speculators buying up the slots and then making a profit reselling them. I think if you legitimately needed to, they'd allow you to give your slot away

I wonder what they'll do with open Sig slots from people that decline the Sig or had to withdraw for other reasons. Will they just produce less Sigs? Will they have a Sig waiting list?

If Sigs are gone by the time options are fully known and I don't want mine, I wonder if I could sell my Sig spot to someone? Black market Sig spots :tongue:

I'm pretty sure there are some empty slots in the Sig reservations list - a good friend & fellow Roadster owner just moved his deposit (yesterday) to a Signature & his Sig reservation (confirmed) is 160. So clearly there are some open slots left for Roadster owners who purchase a Signature.

From a talk I had today, it would seem that rule is more to prevent speculators buying up the slots and then making a profit reselling them. I think if you legitimately needed to, they'd allow you to give your slot away

Unless you used to not be able to, the wording is as follows for my contract:

6. Deferral and Non-Transferability

If you do not wish to enter into a Purchase Agreement at the time that you are contacted by Tesla, you have the option to relinquish your reservation sequence position and defer to a later position to be determined by us (only one deferral is permitted). If you do not communicate your decision to us within ten (10) days of notification under paragraph 4, you will automatically be granted such a deferral. This Agreement is not transferable or assignable to another party without the prior written approval of a Tesla authorized representative.

I find it absolutely phenomenal that 460 Roadster owners have reserved a Model S! That is at least 25% of all US Roadster owners and probably close to 33%! I think that points more than anything at how good the EV owning/driving experience is. Yes, some of them are ideologically committed to non-ICE vehicles, but I bet that more are just attracted to the benefits of EVs.

Unless you used to not be able to, the wording is as follows for my contract:

6. Deferral and Non-Transferability

If you do not wish to enter into a Purchase Agreement at the time that you are contacted by Tesla, you have the option to relinquish your reservation sequence position and defer to a later position to be determined by us (only one deferral is permitted). If you do not communicate your decision to us within ten (10) days of notification under paragraph 4, you will automatically be granted such a deferral. This Agreement is not transferable or assignable to another party without the prior written approval of a Tesla authorized representative.

Which is what was hinted at. In certain circumstances they would, indeed, allow you to bump down, swap etc.