Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Reservation Tally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure TM realizes that spitting out as much as one single lemon in 2012 could jeopardize the whole operation. Rest assured that just one bad customer experience would get loads of publicity and smug "I-told-you-so's" from the competition and others. TM seem sensible enough to not risk it.

It's not about not making mistakes, everyone does, it's about what you do when you discover your mistakes.

It's not about not making mistakes, everyone does, it's about what you do when you discover your mistakes.

Totally agree. An example of how not to handle mistakes was Toyota's experience a couple of years ago with the runaway acceleration incidents. From having seen the quality of the (hand-assembled) Beta, I'd not expect any problems with the actual driving and the battery pack. The (minor) issues might just be the odd creak and rattle and possibly with the touchscreen's software (being a s/w engineer myself, I know how they can turn out buggy in version 1.0 :wink:).

The more we find out about production, the more I expect that nearly all the kinks will be worked out very, very early.

First they're doing the "Beta 2"s -- on the final production line. *Then* they're doing the "release candidates". *Then* they're doing the Founders cars. The Founders cars may still have a few glitches, but by the time they get to the Signatures, that'll be quite a lot of cars down the production line.

Congrats Jim! If things continue going well, you may have your car by Christmas!

Whoa whoa, that's a little early! How in the hell will I pay for it!?

J/K, the wife and I are really working hard to get into this car. It's not just about the looks and fact that we don't have to waste on gas, it's also that...wait no, it's about the looks.

All jokes aside, it's very exciting for us. Come next year, even Christmas-time, we should be well positioned to take delivery of that badboy.

"The real open question is not whether the first car will be delivered on time," said a former Tesla executive, who spoke on condition of anonymity. "It's unit cost, selling price and volume. Once they burn through their waiting list then they are in the real, brutal marketplace. People are betting Tesla won't have a run rate at the necessary selling price to cover their overhead and debt overhang."

Very true, so it's going to be important to keep momentum and public mindshare after the first people get their cars. Having it die off after initial deliveries would be extremely disheartening, though I suppose a good ad campaign could help solve that problem.

Very true, so it's going to be important to keep momentum and public mindshare after the first people get their cars. Having it die off after initial deliveries would be extremely disheartening, though I suppose a good ad campaign could help solve that problem.

Toyota is spending $175 million this year marketing the "new" good ol' Camry. Marketing would be paramount. The Tesla emp I spoke to was describing how hard it is to get Tesla in front of folks outside hotspots such as the Bay Area/LA/Seattle/NY where the Roadsters are dime-a-dozen already. Once the core constituency has been tapped into, it's going to be a long slog.

I've already seen folks do a double take when spotting my own lamo-marketing effort for Tesla. Once the real cars hit the road, hopefully, we'll become the brand ambassadors and marketing foot soldiers!

Toyota is spending $175 million this year marketing the "new" good ol' Camry. Marketing would be paramount. The Tesla emp I spoke to was describing how hard it is to get Tesla in front of folks outside hotspots such as the Bay Area/LA/Seattle/NY where the Roadsters are dime-a-dozen already. Once the core constituency has been tapped into, it's going to be a long slog.

I've already seen folks do a double take when spotting my own lamo-marketing effort for Tesla. Once the real cars hit the road, hopefully, we'll become the brand ambassadors and marketing foot soldiers!

They could stick to the silicon valley methods and go viral in some way

I informed 3 of my neighbors in the last couple days about the Model S (provided YouTube clips, website information, etc.). All 3 are planning on leasing/buying a Model S once they drive mine. I have a feeling the Model S will have no problem going viral. I believe most of the initial reservation holders are like myself (i.e., can't speak enough about their Model S; shares the information with family and friends, etc. Annoys the wife with incessant "Model S Conversations"). That being said, I believe it is safe to forecast for every early adopter Model S reservation holder, one to three friends/neighbors will seriously consider or commit upon delivery.

I agree mm. Who gives test drives of their new MB E350 or even their new 911? I bet nearly all of us are going to be pushing our friends into the driver seat of our new S.
Very true. I'll be happy to give damn near anyone I know a chance to drive it. Everyone at my office knows I'm getting a Model S and everyone wants a ride when I get it. No one would care if I got a BMW.

Passenger seat for me :wink:

Lol, I'm kinda thinking the same. "Whoa whoa, Tom....if you wanna play you gotta pay!"

Was just telling a guy at work about my 'reservation for a Tesla Model S'. He had no idea what I was talking about and sort of brushed it off. An hour later before leaving, I said while motioning to the computer screen, "See this is that car I was talking about." He suddenly got real animated: "That's an electric car!?"

We spent about 10 more minutes talking about it, and near the end it felt as if he was justifying the cost to himself, lol. I told him, "It's pricey so I'll have to figure out the finances", to which he replied "Yeah but with the savings on gas and maintenance it begins to be more affordable!"

I really can't wait to see what happens when they actually launch an ad campaign. :)

Hi,

Yes, as you point out conventional advertising can be very expensive, so it would be wise for Tesla to continue to avoid such expeditures for as long as possible, particularly in the absence of inventory.

Following the momentum of the excellent Fremont event Tesla should continue to cultivate early adopter enthusiasm by actively assisting in the formation of local Tesla clubs. As you suggest, once the cars hit the road, especially at club meets where knowledgable enthusiasts can answer questions and provide demonstrations, the car will sell itself.

Larry