Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Reservation Tally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those numbers may increase later this year as the Sig and low P#s hit the road. I hope they are not largely aggregated in California as that would limit the S's exposure.
From a brief review of Robert.Boston's map, it looks like the east and west coasts have relatively large numbers of S rez holders with few numbers in the mountain and plains states. The Model S appears to have done especially well in California, New York, Texas, and Florida. Not surprisingly, states more affluence have more buyers. Keep in mind that the map reflects club members and only a subset of them.

Hope we can get more exposure in the middle of the country.

Hope we can get more exposure in the middle of the country.

I do as well. The lack of tesla stores/service centers definitely does not help matters, as well as the lack in public chargers to allow for travel beyond the round trip range from your house. It would be interesting to overlay the national plugshare map with the model s reservation map to see if there is a noticeable trend. I personally know one other person in my area who wants a model s, but is not going to put down a deposit until he knows that there is a service center within battery range (he is unwilling to pay ranger fees for annual service). I am sure that there are others like him.

There are about 600 reservations on the map, but about 11,000 reservations (S+X) in total. Thus, each marked point is a rough proxy for ~20 reservations. YMMV.

Maybe it's a Boston thing . . . YMMV . . . we don't say that in Arizona so I looked it up.
Yam Mild Mosaic Virus (virology)
Your Mileage May Vary
Your Method May Vary
Your Market May Vary
You Make Me Vomit . . . Please Robert, I hope it's not the last one. :eek:

Maybe it's a Boston thing . . . YMMV . . . we don't say that in Arizona so I looked it up.
Yam Mild Mosaic Virus (virology)
Your Mileage May Vary
Your Method May Vary
Your Market May Vary
You Make Me Vomit . . . Please Robert, I hope it's not the last one. :eek:
On an automative related forum, it's a pretty easy bet...

So, if 439 current roadster owners are getting a Model S, then that is a 33% retention rate.

What I find interesting is how the Roadster Friends & Family tally jumped recently.

I got my Roadster back in June 2011. I was Model S reservation R269. For months I was the last RFF number. Then earlier this year a few more got added after me.

Now, suddenly - and I don't know exactly when - the number jumped to 439. What happened? Did a bunch of Sig reservation holds downgrade? Were there a bunch of Roadster owners just waiting to put their $5K down, knowing they'd cut in line anyway? I can't believe there would be a bunch of Roadster owners also buying Model S that wouldn't be on TMC.

Now, suddenly - and I don't know exactly when - the number jumped to 439. What happened? Did a bunch of Sig reservation holds downgrade? Were there a bunch of Roadster owners just waiting to put their $5K down, knowing they'd cut in line anyway? I can't believe there would be a bunch of Roadster owners also buying Model S that wouldn't be on TMC.
I bet it's the latter. Roadster owners waiting to see if it was Model S was real, waiting for confirmation of the Performance Model, etc.

I don't think it's a question of confidence. I rather have the impression that many of them were "tipped" over the edge by the Freemont event but they weren't planning a second car purchase before the event. I had a reservation before the event and upgraded to a Sig on the Saturday night.

I don't think it's a question of confidence. I rather have the impression that many of them were "tipped" over the edge by the Freemont event but they weren't planning a second car purchase before the event. I had a reservation before the event and upgraded to a Sig on the Saturday night.
Also I think the Performance Model announcement at the Fremont event made a big difference.

What I find interesting is how the Roadster Friends & Family tally jumped recently.

I got my Roadster back in June 2011. I was Model S reservation R269. For months I was the last RFF number. Then earlier this year a few more got added after me.

The car's details have really just been showing up on the Tesla website with the cars to actually see in selected showrooms. Some probably wanted to know specs and touch the car locally before ordering.