Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Reservation Tally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you want to update the tally, I just cancelled my Model S reservation (#8661) :crying:

After running the numbers again and again, the service fee pushed this car just a little bit out of my price range. I was already reaching to buy even the 40 kWh Model S, and the fee, combined with the fact that I drive 20,000 miles a year, and the closest service center being built is just out of battery range for the 40 from my house (mandating that I also pay for ranger service), the total cost of ownership is simply a bigger reach than I can afford. I guess the dream of owning a Model S is dead for me :crying:

I am currently weighing options of either trying to make my 10 year old Pontiac last another 3 years so that I can get in line for Gen III, leasing something for 3 years so I can get in line for Gen III, or simply giving up on my dream of owning a Tesla all together.

Don't worry, I will still hang out in the TMC forum (you all are not getting rid of me that easy) :)
I suspect that there are a lot of people in the same situation as you. Tesla dropped the ball on this one. I want to see Tesla succeed, but this mandatory maintenance plan may just be the end of that success story.

If you want to update the tally, I just cancelled my Model S reservation (#8661) :crying:

Don't worry, I will still hang out in the TMC forum (you all are not getting rid of me that easy) :)

Sorry to hear that. I too am going to stretch for the Model S and the service plan made me seriously think about delaying my purchase, which I am still considering. And by delay I mean canceling my reservation, and getting another reservation at a later date. My current car still probably has about 2 years of trouble free life remaining in it.

I suspect that there are a lot of people in the same situation as you. Tesla dropped the ball on this one. I want to see Tesla succeed, but this mandatory maintenance plan may just be the end of that success story.

Tesla will do fine. I agree that they dropped the ball on this but I would assume that 95% of the people purchasing this car won't have a problem with $600 every 12,500 / year. Only a small percent will really get hurt by this.

Let's keep philosophical discussion of the warranty costs over on an appropriate thread, please.

@Rifleman, sorry that you had to drop. Perhaps a Volt lease to tide you over? Apparently GM is offering crazy-low lease rates.

A Volt lease is actually what I am looking at right now. I have some concerns that my daughters car seat will be to big to fit in the Volt, but I am going to take it to a Chevy dealer tonight to find out for sure. Right now I am still just a little numb from needing to drop, so no other car is really exciting me right now.

A Volt lease is actually what I am looking at right now. I have some concerns that my daughters car seat will be to big to fit in the Volt, but I am going to take it to a Chevy dealer tonight to find out for sure. Right now I am still just a little numb from needing to drop, so no other car is really exciting me right now.

I can understand your numb feeling! But better you feel numb now, then have a nightmare later! With the fixed service-fee you now know what you would have had to pay, many other manufacturers just don't tell what they will cost to own!

That sucks man, I feel for you. I test drove the Volt too, it's not a bad deal - especially financially, was just a little too small for me.

After running the numbers again and again, the service fee pushed this car just a little bit out of my price range. I was already reaching to buy even the 40 kWh Model S, and the fee, combined with the fact that I drive 20,000 miles a year, and the closest service center being built is just out of battery range for the 40 from my house (mandating that I also pay for ranger service), the total cost of ownership is simply a bigger reach than I can afford. I guess the dream of owning a Model S is dead for me :crying:

I am currently weighing options of either trying to make my 10 year old Pontiac last another 3 years so that I can get in line for Gen III, leasing something for 3 years so I can get in line for Gen III, or simply giving up on my dream of owning a Tesla all together.

I'm glad you'll keep hanging out and sorry to hear you had to cancel your order but that sounds like the right thing to do at the moment. No need to stretch for the bare-bones 40 kWh when you want and need more out of the car. Better to save up over the next few years and get a Model S 2.0 or Gen III car if possible. Maybe a used car to replace your 10 year old car to get you buy would work? The Volt as you mentioned would be great too.

@Rifleman, sorry that you had to drop. Perhaps a Volt lease to tide you over? Apparently GM is offering crazy-low lease rates.

A Volt lease is actually what I am looking at right now. I have some concerns that my daughters car seat will be to big to fit in the Volt, but I am going to take it to a Chevy dealer tonight to find out for sure.

Of course, I am a HUGE proponent of getting a Volt to tide you over until something better comes along (is more available, has had the bugs ironed out, has matured a year or so, et cetera). :)

Just today I was reading a comment by someone somewhere who had made a slight alteration to the base of a child seat to get it to fit better into their new Volt. So if it doesn't fit just right, don't give up.

If you test drive a Volt, PUT IT INTO SPORT MODE.

Of course, I am a HUGE proponent of getting a Volt to tide you over until something better comes along (is more available, has had the bugs ironed out, has matured a year or so, et cetera). :)

Just today I was reading a comment by someone somewhere who had made a slight alteration to the base of a child seat to get it to fit better into their new Volt. So if it doesn't fit just right, don't give up.

If you test drive a Volt, PUT IT INTO SPORT MODE.

Well, I am happy to report that I just drove my new Volt home from the dealer. I was able to work out a really good 36 month lease, that should end just as Gen III is starting to roll of the assembly line.

Well, I am happy to report that I just drove my new Volt home from the dealer. I was able to work out a really good 36 month lease, that should end just as Gen III is starting to roll of the assembly line.

Right on! Not to derail too much more, but as you get time you should review the Volt FAQ that I maintain here.

You will find that GM really paid attention to the details on the car. Extremely well done.

You'll be well-positioned in the future to get the 'latest and greatest' EV on the market (I predict that's a Tesla, but you never know). The supercharger network will be in. All sorts of uploadable apps will be available for the vehicles. All sorts of questions will be answered. Good for you for knowing your limits and following through.

And glad you're sticking around.

Very happy to hear you found the Volt, hope you will post your experience on the Volt thread! and that you'll eventually come back to TM for your next car!