Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has any signature owner here not gotten 4.0 or 4.1? My parents are throwing a Tesla party and inviting a bunch of people over today since I'm here to see the car and was hoping to have the auto-extending handles. Tried to get them to push the update but no go. Seems odd that all new cars have it and even new cars that don't have it seem to get the update immediately but they can't update all the Sigs and early production cars as well. Guess it will happen eventually.

not me either, though i have a service appt this week, so maybe when i get the car back it will have an update. will let you know.

Shouldn't you be able to enter an address on the google map screen and have it kick on the Navigon turn-by-turn? That was how I was told it would work.
As I already had a navigation destination entered, I assumed that would be carried forward after I put it into Park and then back into Drive. But apparently, when the car turns off, the navigation stuff is erased. Didn't try and renter an actual address. Makes sense that that might do it.

Call me crazy, but 4.1 feels like better 3G than 4. I can pan around All over my map now with no grey boxes even zoomed in all the way. I used to have 1 bar in my garage and now I have 3. Not sure its an actual update, but I like the maps better now!

Hmmm... maybe it's better 3G or maybe just improved caching. I noticed that when I drove off this AM, the map was dark background (as I usually get when car detects night), and as I drove, new tiles came up with light background, and the screen was actually a mix of light and dark tiles until I drove far enough that all of the tiles had been replaced. What this tells me is that map was smart enough to "remember" location when it woke up, and retain the map it had when it went to sleep. Didn't use to do that.

I don't envy Tesla selling a software-driven product to a bunch of software-savvy buyers...

I'm on 1.19.31, and driving in New Hampshire recently I had persistent black squares on my map, despite pretty solid 3G coverage (2 bars +). What's annoying is that the UI doesn't appear to flag that it pushed a black square and attempt to reload it (or, at least, not vigorously enough).

I'm on 1.19.31, and driving in New Hampshire recently I had persistent black squares on my map, despite pretty solid 3G coverage (2 bars +). What's annoying is that the UI doesn't appear to flag that it pushed a black square and attempt to reload it (or, at least, not vigorously enough).

robert, i would think a quick fix here is to change your zoom level momentarily with the magnify buttons or finger pinch. this will force the display to redraw and re-download any needed data. should work easily enough until the data speed and caching gremlins get sorted. this is common in many many server dependent mapping systems.

ps - also turn off traffic and/or satellite images if you're in an area or on a trip that you don't really need them, they each add significantly to the datastream payload.

not that i'm telling you anything you probably don't already know, but.. fwiw.

Last edited:
I'm on 1.19.31, and driving in New Hampshire recently I had persistent black squares on my map, despite pretty solid 3G coverage (2 bars +).

I've had the same issue pop up when I have 2 bars or less. It's impossible to watch the bars constantly but it may be going through poor/interrupted coverage areas. The car does know where it's going though and the dash map works fine.

robert, i would think a quick fix here is to change your zoom level momentarily with the magnify buttons or finger pinch.

Yes, this works. I tried that the other day and it does fix it.

I have v4.1 (1.19.31). Observations:

-Minor issue I just remembered seeing today: I was navigating to a destination (box in top-left of nav window) and switched from vector maps to satellite view. The block behind the navigation box didn't change. Everything else did (correctly). The vector maps block continued to pan. Not a huge deal but would be nice to fix.

-Also noticed that after the car sleeps, when it wakes up it has to re-scan the USB drive. Would be nice to have that info cached (perhaps some kind of CRC check to ensure the jumpdrive contents haven't changed? I dunno..not a software developer).

-Web browser performance is really S___L___O___W. Needs a lot of optimization work there.

-It would be nice if I could double-tap a column on a webpage and zoom to that width a la iPad. Future feature I'm sure.

-Moving the cursor when typing is a bit tricky. On the iPhone, you get that nice loupe that allows you to see where the cursor is even when your finger's over the text. Would be nice to have something similar on the Model S, however I noticed last night that if you tap on the text and drag your finger up or down, you can then drag left/right and the cursor will slide over. Not as nice as iPhone IMHO, but better than nothing.

-Keyboard doesn't seem to be handling case automatically. After a period, it should switch back to a captial letter a la iPhone.

Also w/v4.1 (1.19.31)-
Some previous issues I'd reported were resolved with the latest software update as I was told they would be. On the other hand some have not changed at all.

1)Center Display didn't launch-I have again experienced the complete failure of the center display to turn on upon starting the car. The dash display did come on, but no music played, when I selected the "media" option on the right scroll wheel it said something like "No Media". Pressing and holding the scroll wheels (took a while, maybe 10 seconds) eventually rebooted that screen and it came on and all has worked fine since. This is the second occurance (once prior to 4.1, once since). Interestingly, and maybe related, one time the car started normally with the center display lighting up normally, but shortly after pulling out of my driveway the screen went black with a small (1cm or smaller) "X" in the very center of the screen for a couple of seconds (maybe 30 seconds?), then it rebooted itself.

2)Squirrely Bluetooth-Others have reported this, but I'll repeat for the record. Very annoying, even sitting stationary listening to music and the BT will suddenly quit and require me to push the "play" button again sometimes, other times it loses bluetooth connection completely requiring me to reconnect and occasionally even re-pair. (iPhone 5). Once it got caught up on this "first time I've seen it" Bluetooth initializing screen.
photo (1).JPG

3)Charger release-unchanged behavior (others had reported it's better), still seems to be a timing challenge every time. Sometimes I nail it, other times I miss the split second.

4)Tire Pressure Warning - continues to come on in cold weather for a few minutes. Not convinced it's b/c the pressure is actually low as the warning goes away so quickly and I know the pressure isn't changing that much in that short of a time. But I admit I haven't checked the pressures in the colder weather yet.

5)Music resumption on restart-This is still quirky. 75% of the time I get in the car, start it and the music picks up right where I'd left it. The other 25% of the time I'm met with silence and have to click to open the media window, tap through to find the XM channel I want to get it going again. Not sure why this is so quirky.

That's all I can think of for now. All in all the update fixed a few of the bugs, and left others either incompletely fixed or unaddressed...it's a little hard to tell which.

One plus for the 4.1 from 1.15.14 that I noticed, regen seems to be more active, especially rolling to a stop. Whereas before, it seemed to relax at about 10mph, now it seems to feel a lot like actual braking. I love this aspect! Brakes only for the last few feet. Now if that damn last second squeal would go away.

3)Charger release-unchanged behavior (others had reported it's better), still seems to be a timing challenge every time. Sometimes I nail it, other times I miss the split second.

You should just be able to hold the button the entire time. I hold down the button, wait for the click, then pull out the plug while continuing to hold the button down. Has worked for me every time. That's not what you're seeing on 1.19.31?

5)Music resumption on restart-This is still quirky. 75% of the time I get in the car, start it and the music picks up right where I'd left it. The other 25% of the time I'm met with silence and have to click to open the media window, tap through to find the XM channel I want to get it going again. Not sure why this is so quirky.

That's all I can think of for now. All in all the update fixed a few of the bugs, and left others either incompletely fixed or unaddressed...it's a little hard to tell which.

I think it's strange that many of you are seeing these issues on v4.1. Since I haven't seen any issues at all, I wonder if it's because your cars are from an earlier base software install, with newer updates?!?

I wonder if Tesla could do a "clean install" of a newer version? Works with some OSes, maybe it would work with the Model S?

It's just strange that some people are having no issues whatsoever and others seem to be having a bunch of issues, even on the same software version.

One plus for the 4.1 from 1.15.14 that I noticed, regen seems to be more active, especially rolling to a stop. Whereas before, it seemed to relax at about 10mph, now it seems to feel a lot like actual braking. I love this aspect! Brakes only for the last few feet. Now if that damn last second squeal would go away.

I'm very pleased with the regen operation. It's way better than I remember from the Get Amped test drive. Of course on a cold day like this I don't have any regen braking, but that's another story.

4)Tire Pressure Warning - continues to come on in cold weather for a few minutes. Not convinced it's b/c the pressure is actually low as the warning goes away so quickly and I know the pressure isn't changing that much in that short of a time. But I admit I haven't checked the pressures in the colder weather yet.

You'd be surprised, especially if your TPMS is programmed to the older 38.5 psi threshold instead of the service bulletin's 36 PSI threshold. If it is reporting "low tire pressure" as opposed to a generic "Service TPMS" error, it means a sensor is detecting < 38.5 or 36 PSI depending on the setting.

When it's very cold out, you typically inflate indoors where it's warmer (inflating outdoors will cause a flat tire as ice builds up in the valve core). When inflating indoors (as in a garage) you have to compensate for the shrinkage by using higher pressures.

Just so Bonnie isn't disappointed, I don't have any complaints about adjusting my pressures and shrinkage, TPMS or otherwise.

1)Center Display didn't launch-I have again experienced the complete failure of the center display to turn on upon starting the car. The dash display did come on, but no music played, when I selected the "media" option on the right scroll wheel it said something like "No Media". Pressing and holding the scroll wheels (took a while, maybe 10 seconds) eventually rebooted that screen and it came on and all has worked fine since. This is the second occurance (once prior to 4.1, once since). Interestingly, and maybe related, one time the car started normally with the center display lighting up normally, but shortly after pulling out of my driveway the screen went black with a small (1cm or smaller) "X" in the very center of the screen for a couple of seconds (maybe 30 seconds?), then it rebooted itself.

I noted this in the other thread, but this happened for the first time to me yesterday (or was it the day before?) Either way, I've seen it 4 times in the past couple of days now. My car is set not to power down the displays, yet it does after 30 minutes or so. I'm seeing more and more reports of the black screen issue. I'm wondering if we're seeing something that is becoming more pervasive in v4.1, due to something that is persisting in storage (since soft reboots aren't fixing it).

EDIT: Now that I think about it... 2013 bug perhaps? Seems to have started Tuesday for a lot of people?

Last edited:
I'm very pleased with the regen operation. It's way better than I remember from the Get Amped test drive. Of course on a cold day like this I don't have any regen braking, but that's another story.

Does charging overnite on Range with lowered amperage (timed so the car is still charging slowly when you get to it) not work? Or charging on 120V to get the same effect?