Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S subsite and design studio being updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The counter is implemented in javascript.

From the code it looks like they update the base amount every night at midnight. For today:

var startMileage =25028174;
var milesPerSecond=0.4;

With 2100 cars, that averages to about 6,000 miles per year per Roadster these days. I'm about double that.

If you assume the average speed is 30 MPH, then that's about 50 cars traveling at any one time.

Speaking as a Roadster owner, I don't bother with storage mode unless I know I'm not going to drive the car for at least several weeks.

Storage mode tries to minimize battery degradation by keeping the cells partially charged. The charge very slowly depletes due to the processors monitoring the battery health, etc. If you start out with a full Standard mode charge and put it in Storage mode, two weeks later the car will still be almost fully charged. There would be no benefit at all unless you parked it with a partial charge. (Caveat - the power drain could be larger if active cooling is needed.)

Another point is that the batteries slowly go out of balance while in Storage mode, and take a bit of time to rebalance. Depending on your usage this may not matter.

Another point is that the batteries slowly go out of balance while in Storage mode, and take a bit of time to rebalance. Depending on your usage this may not matter.
Perhaps you or another roadster veteran knows the answer off the cuff...

Scenario A
1. Charge to 80%
2. Park in covered garage in Standard mode
3. Return home after charge reaches 20%
4. Wait 24 hours

Scenario B
1. Charge to 80%
2. Park in covered garage in Storage mode
3. Return home after the same amount of time as in Scenario A
4. Switch to Standard mode
5. Wait 24 hours

Assume steady human-comfortable temperatures in the garage for both scenarios.

Given that rebalancing happens less (or not at all?) in Storage mode, which scenario is better for battery longevity?

Does the answer change depending on how many "small" rebalances happen in Scenario A vs. a "large" rebalance in Scenario B?

Last edited:
I don't know exactly but I'd never go on a trip and leave my Roadster unplugged. I'm sure there are certain circumstances where you could do better with the battery than what Tesla recommends (always keep it plugged in when you're away) but it's probably more effort and risk than it is worth. Tesla must recommend keeping the Model S plugged in for a reason so I plan on following their guidance as I've done with the Roadster.

Was the features page always there With all that info and I missed it? Feels like something was added. And the pic with all ten color cars on the main page I didn't notice tip now either.

It still says exterior has unique accents there. I'm assuming it just means the spoiler.

Last edited:
If you're storing the car, then it's best to maximize the range by (a) keeping the batteries at a mid-range charge level where deterioration is minimized, and (b) minimizing charge cycles. Storage mode allows the batteries to slowly discharge to a low-ish level - but not too low because that also degrades the batteries faster - and then tops them up as needed to maintain the batteries in that sweet spot.

If you're driving the car, then it is best to use Standard mode. You don't want the batteries sitting at 100% because that degrades them faster over time, so Standard mode charges them to 90%. It's also less stressful on the batteries to discharge them at a higher SOC, because at low charge levels the output voltage is lower and you have to draw more current to achieve the same power level. So keeping them at 30% is not a good idea - better to recharge them to 90%.

looks like supercharging "hardware" is now standard on the 60kwh packs as well:

6014246762.png

Perhaps an announcement coming soon(ish)?