Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In mine, it appeared to be some type of a contact problem with the pins in the connector. The Tesla end of my cord was replaced after the surface temperature of the coupling reached over 170 degrees, and it remains cool now.

So, I have a hum that I hear around 70mph, but I sort of wrote it off as road/tire noise. It's not extremely loud, but probably the loudest noise I can hear. How can I differentiate between road noise and this noise? Do you happen to have a recording of the noise that was fixed to compare?

Good question. I tried to record it with my phone but when I listen to it all I hear is road noise. So it seems to be a frequency difficult to record. However, it was so noisy that I had a hard time listen to the radio while driving at that speed. So I would suggest if it bothers you a lot to talk to your service center.

Good question. I tried to record it with my phone but when I listen to it all I hear is road noise. So it seems to be a frequency difficult to record. However, it was so noisy that I had a hard time listen to the radio while driving at that speed. So I would suggest if it bothers you a lot to talk to your service center.

Well, I shifted into neutral while the noise was audible, and it did not go away. I presume this means I have just road noise. It does make me wonder about my alignment now...

Well, I shifted into neutral while the noise was audible, and it did not go away. I presume this means I have just road noise. It does make me wonder about my alignment now...

Each tire produces different noises as well. In past cars I found some tire brands to be very annoying to my ears on some roads and my alignment was good.

The p85 loaner i have produces a constant hum when accelerating that would bother me if it were my car. My s85 doesn't have this noise. Both cars have the ballon squel at pedal to floor acceleration and i don't have an issue with that.

I think perhaps we are talking about two different things. Of course all electric motors "whine". The Balloon Squeal I am hearing in that recording is not normal... If I show up to get my car and it squeals like a pig every time I step on it, I'm going to leave my car at the factory and refuse delivery. I could not live with that. It sounds like the car is squeaking out a tiny fart...

Just so I'm sure you and I are on the same page... are you saying that THIS (see video below) is "normal" and happens on every single car with an electric motor? How do you explain all the people around here who don't have it?

As I told bareyb in person at NPID yesterday, the P85 Model S I test drove made the same "deflating balloon" sound the 2x I was able to hammer it. It's pretty noticeable.

FWIW, my '13 Leaf doesn't make any sounds like that, regardless of how I accelerate (light, pedal to the floor or anywhere in between). Ditto for the Rav4 EV I test drove yesterday (and the units I test drove 2x at Alt Car Expo last year). The Rav4 EV rep encouraged me to hammer it a few times and take a turn pretty fast. :D

Rav4 EV is (unfortunately) FWD and therefore very easy to squeal the tires on hard acceleration.

Last edited by a moderator:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 717
I called into the Scottsdale service center to have a few things checked out (a rattle by the windshield, loud noise from suspension going over speed bumps, decreasing rated range etc). The other time I had it in they did valet pickup and drop off. This time they asked when I could bring it in and if I had another car I could use. Overloaded service center? The service center is 30 miles from work on the North edge of town.

I called into the Scottsdale service center to have a few things checked out (a rattle by the windshield, loud noise from suspension going over speed bumps, decreasing rated range etc). The other time I had it in they did valet pickup and drop off. This time they asked when I could bring it in and if I had another car I could use. Overloaded service center? The service center is 30 miles from work on the North edge of town.

They sold all the loaners. At least that's what I was told by the Queens SC.

I'm pretty sure 170 degrees is well below ignition temperature for the vast majority of materials on our planet.
Yes but if it's the external temperature, the internal temperature is higher. And it means there is a contact problem which can be worst with time, and can really get fire

- - - Updated - - -

In neutral, because there is no clutch, all rotating part are....rotating, thus it can be road noice but also "gear box" or unbalanced motor's rotor.

Hi,

I got my Model S few days ago. First thing I noticed was wind noise from the pano roof. I looked and it seems to be missing about 10cm (4 inches) of upper seal in the front middle part. Looks like it was cut out. Could you confirm it looks like that on all cars?

Hi,

I got my Model S few days ago. First thing I noticed was wind noise from the pano roof. I looked and it seems to be missing about 10cm (4 inches) of upper seal in the front middle part. Looks like it was cut out. Could you confirm it looks like that on all cars?

Uh, no. I've seen it folded under, but not "cut out". Can you open pano and snap a photo for us?

My passenger rear door handle has quit working. It still presents itself with the others, but doesn't open the door, and the little light is out. Booked into the SC for a week's time (first date available for an S loaner, apparently they have 4, but 2 of them are 'booked out to sales'). Will get a weird rattle looked at as well, it happens on start up, sound like it's tied to the AC compressor, since it only occurs when it's warm (80f+), and sounds like either a mis-balanced fan rotor, or some pipes rattling together. I know I've read something about that, maybe in this thread.

Hi,

Check to make sure the front metal "tongue" of the pano roof is not pulling the seal downward and underneath the roof line. If so, you are probably missing some adhesive in that area. Mine did the same thing and the service center applied some additional adhesive to keep the seal in place. If your seal is literally cut out in that area, then there is something very wrong and you should have it addressed ASAP. That is an area where water can easily intrude.

They sold all the loaners. At least that's what I was told by the Queens SC.

Dropped off my car yesterday in Scottsdale (actually Deer Valley) SC. Waiting for me was a green P85+ :) Too bad it had the speed limiter, which kicked in around 82ish (not hard to achieve when you want to warp someone on the freeway). They said just when they think they've caught up on the loaner fleet, they sell them. When they finished work, the car was valeted back to my house. Overall excellent work.