Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I should really stop reading this thread. I am hoping that by the time my reservation number comes up these issues are fixed.
I feel that I need to put this thread in perspective. If I hadn't have already gotten my car, and if I read this thread, I can understand being kind of worried. Although I did/do have a small issue with the sunroof, it is completely minor in my opinion. I've had my car for 4 days now and I can unequivocally say that this is hands down the best car I've ever owned, and I've been fortunate to have owned some nice cars (my last two were an MB SL55 AMG and a Porsche 911 Carrera and these don't really hold a candle to the Tesla). From the smooth power and acceleration to the extremely advanced user interface to the incredible looks to the fact that it uses no gas I feel that I'll never be happy with an ICE car again. There is elegance in simplicity. The fact that there are so many less moving parts and it accomplishes the same if not better than other cars is a true seed change in transportation. So I'm willing to put up with the occasional glitch because I know that these will get ironed out and there will be further improvement in a car I already love. So please read this thread with a grain of salt. You are seeing the worst problems here and the vast majority of owners aren't having any major problems and really do love their cars.

Thread in perspective

I feel that I need to put this thread in perspective. If I hadn't have already gotten my car, and if I read this thread, I can understand being kind of worried. Although I did/do have a small issue with the sunroof, it is completely minor in my opinion. I've had my car for 4 days now and I can unequivocally say that this is hands down the best car I've ever owned, and I've been fortunate to have owned some nice cars (my last two were an MB SL55 AMG and a Porsche 911 Carrera and these don't really hold a candle to the Tesla). From the smooth power and acceleration to the extremely advanced user interface to the incredible looks to the fact that it uses no gas I feel that I'll never be happy with an ICE car again. There is elegance in simplicity. The fact that there are so many less moving parts and it accomplishes the same if not better than other cars is a true seed change in transportation. So I'm willing to put up with the occasional glitch because I know that these will get ironed out and there will be further improvement in a car I already love. So please read this thread with a grain of salt. You are seeing the worst problems here and the vast majority of owners aren't having any major problems and really do love their cars.

Kishdude- Thanks for that last post. I've been getting a bit antsy about pushing the finalize button and thought that maybe I should defer, but given your automotive history and your opinion above, I feel better.

Yep. People need to understand what they are getting into (new car from a new company) so issues like this are more likely than maybe in a BMW car that's been in production for a few years. That doesn't mean of course that Tesla shouldn't work to minimize these issues and correct them for already delivered cars of course.

I agree about the growing pains. Software glitches are Ok, as long as they are fixed. It's likely that they will. Sunroof problems are probably simple mechanical issues.

The condition of William's car, however, is just grotesque. This should have been promptly refused and escalated. That's not a growing pains issue. That's horrible quality control.

Sent via Tapatalk.

I agree about the growing pains. Software glitches are Ok, as long as they are fixed. It's likely that they will. Sunroof problems are probably simple mechanical issues.

The condition of William's car, however, is just grotesque. This should have been promptly refused and escalated. That's not a growing pains issue. That's horrible quality control.

Sent via Tapatalk.

Put Elon back on the QA line! :)

Tesla really needs to do something about this level of service.

--> Quick Edit: The guys at Menlo were awesome, but it took a long time and I was in a rush to get to work, and then I ended up with a klunker.

Let's hope we're not seeing a trend here. This doesn't sound like Number One Fan's favorite group of service individuals. The recent ramp up of cars with problems is going to overload the Tesla system.

Tesla ought to slow down and ramp up the QC.

Sent via Tapatalk.

- - - Updated - - -

Put Elon back on the QA line! :)

Would slow things down, but seems like we heard fewer problems when he was signing off on the cars. :)

If its as bad as you [William3] say, you should have refused to take delivery.
Given it looks like most folks (at least outside of CA) are having to pay in full before the car ships, is refusing delivery even an option? I'm supposed to wire Tesla money tomorrow, but I'm hesitant at this point. Even if a case like William3's is highly unusual, the fact Tesla is telling him nothing can be done makes me reticent to roll the dice and chance getting a car like that.

Given it looks like most folks (at least outside of CA) are having to pay in full before the car ships, is refusing delivery even an option? I'm supposed to wire Tesla money tomorrow, but I'm hesitant at this point. Even if a case like William3's is highly unusual, the fact Tesla is telling him nothing can be done makes me reticent to roll the dice and chance getting a car like that.

Most? I wasn't aware that most people were paying before shipping. I though most people were paying upon receipt. Am I wrong about this? Sounds like people would have a tough time refusing a car delivered in subpar condition.

Most? I wasn't aware that most people were paying before shipping. I though most people were paying upon receipt. Am I wrong about this? Sounds like people would have a tough time refusing a car delivered in subpar condition.
Oh, I thought Tesla was requiring the money up front. They are for me and for at least the other Oregon person I know getting one soon and Oregon doesn't have laws like Texas far as I know. There's another thread on prepayment over here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/11990-Final-Payment-before-Delivery!

The Tesla rep on the phone told me they won't put it on a truck until they get payment. Between that and the other TMCer here getting his car in Oregon also prepaying, I was under the impression money up front is the norm now.

There's a thread related to payment before receipt in the sub forum. I still think it's strange to have an issue with payment if you've come this far. Just my opinion, and I suppose easy for me to say. But to withhold payment to me implies a mistrust of Tesla. And I just dont know how that would change day 0 to day 1.

As for Williams car, I'd still love to see pics of the issues it has. There's so much subjectivity to things, its hard to tell sometimes. Kinda like the whole "gaps" discussion.

If I was really worried i'd cancel my reservation. Like I said I hope these issues are fixed in 9 months. If not than i cannot wait to get my car to have the pano roof not open, have the car randomly not start, water in the headlight and the charge cord to get stuck!.....woooooohooo! $65K debt here I come!

There's a thread related to payment before receipt in the sub forum.

I've read that thread; it doesn't address the question I had related to what ckessel was stating -- what percentage of people are paying before shipment/receipt.

I still think it's strange to have an issue with payment if you've come this far. Just my opinion, and I suppose easy for me to say. But to withhold payment to me implies a mistrust of Tesla. And I just dont know how that would change day 0 to day 1.

I don't think anything I have said implies a distrust of Tesla. I'm paying for a particular product, and that's what I expect to get. If I don't get it, I want my money back or a fix. It's as much a business transaction for me as it is for Tesla. If they can guarantee me a fix or give me my money back, fine.

Of course it's an option. Just like if UPS shows up w/ a box that is damaged. You can refuse it and then it's up to Tesla and the shipping company to fight it out over who's fault it was.

My suggestion would be to have a DS present since Oregon doesn't have laws like TX, GA, etc. If the DS is standing there while you're pointing out flaws they will make sure they are fixed and can make the call as to whether it can be fixed locally or needs to go to a service center. It may delay your delivery to have a DS there but that's up to you.

Out of all the myriad deliveries we've had here I only know of William's and the person who had the black marks on his b pillar so that's a pretty small defect rate. The passenger door alignment and sunroof issues are not "refusing delivery" level problems in my opinion.

My experience with other car companies was always 100% different. With Mercedes, Acura, and Honda, I always got a comparable or better car.

I'd be curious to know what you view as a comparable car to a Model S in this case. Perhaps eventually Tesla will have some actual Tesla loaner vehicles, but right now I think all of their production is focused on customer vehicles, and is likely to be so for quite a few months. The dealership where I had my Prius serviced gave me a very nice Hybrid Camry as a loaner (nicer than my Prius, I would say), but of course that's also a sales opportunity for them -- get the customer interested in something new.