Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S to the Nürburgring Next Week!

Would Elon Announce a Nürburgring Visit Without Already Knowing the S Would Beat the Taycan’s Time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cup2 is still street tire, not race slick. Porsche 911 GT3RS, GT2RS and most of the super cars are carrying cup2 as stock tire. Roadster prototype is also using cup2. Don’t see any problem adding it as an option to Model S.

This is not exactly true.

The Cup2R tire is very different to the standard Cup2.

Honestly, putting the Model S on the Nurburgring is ridiculous. Everyone knows that it's a poor track car far worse than the Model 3.

At least obviously Porsche had success in getting Musk and his fanboys attention.

This is really helpful, thanks! Now we just need some real world track results to see how the Raven holds up.

Is there a definitive Tesla post of blog entry or something that lists exactly what the Raven models have that is different from previous ones? The Tesla sales web site offers little info (as usual). where are people getting their info on all these details of motors and so on? I may have missed a press release or something...Thanks in advance!

Honestly, putting the Model S on the Nurburgring is ridiculous. Everyone knows that it's a poor track car far worse than the Model 3.

At least obviously Porsche had success in getting Musk and his fanboys attention.

Here's an idea. Since the Model S is going to be tracked on the Ring, why not just wait until it's completed it so obviously terrible lap. Then you can just say, "I told you so"...instead of shiatposting in this thread constantly?

Is there a definitive Tesla post of blog entry or something that lists exactly what the Raven models have that is different from previous ones? The Tesla sales web site offers little info (as usual). where are people getting their info on all these details of motors and so on? I may have missed a press release or something...Thanks in advance!

The definitive is a Model 3 type front motor and suspension along with charging rate. The guestimation is improved pack (Rev E) and charging cables (this might be verified).
The Longest-Range Electric Vehicle Now Goes Even Farther

This seems more about PR since the car will not be running solo and has no slot to run timed so I'm not sure this is about a lap time challenge. This is likely nothing more than the reveal of the new 3 motor S with redesign, that's all:) This will more likely end up like the Y reveal, a poorly planned event or a demonstration of something not expected.

Reactions: Hugh Mannity
what I'm trying to understand is why Tesla would send a pre raven non performance variant to the Nurburgring? And one with HOV stickers? Odd to say the least.

Raven prototypes existed before Tesla originally released it (road testing/ validation). Just because a car was originally tagged as an 85D (or whatever) does not mean that is what it stayed.

Reactions: outdoors
I think it’s pretty cool Nico Rosberg has offered to do the lap!
what about the HOV sticker? I'd think that those would only be issued for production cars, not prototypes...

I think it is some sort of development platform they've used for various road/validation testing.

There's no EPA certification or restrictions around swapping around batteries / motors as there is with gasoline engines / emissions equipment.

If you're tesla, you could simply yank some lemon returned S and put into it the latest battery sled you're thinking of putting into the roadster, or put into it a whole new rear subframe / motor assembly. Or put into it some new autopilot hardware.

The development pictures from the 959 program are really entertaining:
(porsche's new autopilot / driver's assist system)
ok7t2hcy8opcf120u7cj.jpg

Ask yourself -- what's the advantage of flying a USA plated / registered car vs grabbing a euro certified loaner from "the pool" ? Answer -- that USA registered car is a test mule.

As opposed to Porsche fanboys?

I'd love to see the Model S put in a good time at Nurburgring but I'm skeptical that it can be done in the stock form. I'm not counting the tires as the Cup2R are streetable tires and basically anyone could fit them onto the car if they wanted. So I don't think that putting these on the car constitutes "cheating". However, I do think that the brakes (even with better pads) are going to be a huge problem. The rotors are so puny I just can't see them lasting very long before they overheat and begin to fade. Like I said in a prior post, the GTR's brakes are far more beefy than the MS and they are prone to overheating when trying to stop a car that's 1000 pounds less....

Apparently if you run the California number plates the model S on the flatbed is a 2017 model S, complete with HOV stickers, (whatever that is). So its most likely a development hack. The Tesla engineers are probably going over there to collect data or test out new development components - could be software/hardware or both - This could be anything, including Maxwell battery prototypes.... But almost certainly not a stock off the shelf Model S. Up till now Tesla have been listening to Captain Slow (James May from Top Gear/Grand Tour) and avoiding the ring as the modifications required to go around the ring fast usually tend to ruin nice road cars. But then again with Teslas electric motors and air suspension, there may no longer need to be compromise between road civility and track performance (as Top gear magazine already found out in their feature for the Model 3 Performance). Can't wait to see what happens.

This might blow your mind but plates can be transferred from one car to another. You can take a plate off a Yugo and transfer it to a Porsche. Doesn't mean that the yugo is being taken to the track just because it's the same plate.

Reactions: outdoors
This might blow your mind but plates can be transferred from one car to another. You can take a plate off a Yugo and transfer it to a Porsche. Doesn't mean that the yugo is being taken to the track just because it's the same plate.

In the state where I live moving a plate from one car to another without telling the state is ... frowned upon and will subject you to long conversations with various government officials.

There are classes of license plates where this is not the case, manufacturer's, dealer's, and repair plates.