Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also used Monumental Workx here in SD for Photosync and going back next week for front clear bra etc after Tesla repairs a couple little paint blemishes that the car came with. They were great!

Jennifer, be absolutely sure you understand from Tesla when you pick your MS up if your paint was "baked on" after repair of those paint blemishes or if they were what I'd call (don't say this to them) a "quick and dirty job that isn't baked-on like at a body shop". I say that because of former special-ordered BMW experience I had with what ended-up being a "quick and dirty job" by the BMW dealer correcting problems they introduced before I took delivery... I waited and had clear bra installed a whole month after that work was completed by my dealer just-in-case, and long-story-short, ended up needing to remove the clear bra a few weeks later. When that was done by the original installer, it pulled all the "quick and dirty paint job" off that had looked perfect even to me before the clear bra was applied... Point being, if your paint repair work isn't baked on like it is at the factory, and you put on a clear bra, and some day need to remove it, the "quick and dirty paint job" may well come off with the clear bra removal -- and your installer won't have any way to have known that would happen or could have prevented it from happening. Be warned. It was a horrible lesson I learned the hard way.

I know you were at Monumental earlier this week -- our paths keep crossing back and forth -- we'll have to meet up some time. Anyway, your options come down to with having this paint repair work done, if the paint isn't baked, be sure you talk to your installer so they understand that and ask if clear bra installation AND POSSIBLE FUTURE REMOVAL are still OK.. You'll likely need to wait at least a month after the work is done to fix your paint before the clear bra is installed in that case. If the paint is baked, all is good... I'd still tell Monumental what is going on and be sure they are OK with timing... Good luck. Bert.

I also used Monumental Workx here in SD for Photosync and going back next week for front clear bra etc after Tesla repairs a couple little paint blemishes that the car came with. They were great!
I had Monumental Workx to Photosync my Model S on Saturday. That was the third car they've done for me (my wife's Volt, first Model S, and this one) and they will do my next one whenever that may be...

The curtain airbags should significantly reduce the risk of cheese-grating your face on broken side window glass.

On first impact, yes, but air bags fill instantaneously and deflate immediately, so on second contact shattered-glass-on-film could be a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

dcopperfield, with 20% on your side and rear windows, what is your vision at night? Can you see clearly?

That brings up the question of self-dimming rear view mirror. Does it dim in proportion to the light it sees, or is it all-or-nothing? If the former, then tinting would do no harm as the mirror would simply dim itself less.

On first impact, yes, but air bags fill instantaneously and deflate immediately, so on second contact shattered-glass-on-film could be a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

That brings up the question of self-dimming rear view mirror. Does it dim in proportion to the light it sees, or is it all-or-nothing? If the former, then tinting would do no harm as the mirror would simply dim itself less.

The mirror will dim itself as the film would not impact it unless you go with a fairly dark tint such as limo.

Photosync 75% tint windshield is there a blue haze when the sun is in front?

I just tinted my car with photosync 55% all around except the windshield. I notice a blue haze when I look through the windows where the sun is and at the right angle. My question is that blue haze there with the windshield and 75%? I wear non polarized sun glasses so I am not worried about those effects.

Thanks,
Chris

For OC, call Extreme Autowerks (Extreme Autowerks) - there's only a handful of photosync dealers in california and they are one of them.

There are only a handful of photosync dealers/installers anywhere.

Worst of all, its like pulling teeth getting them to list all dealer/installers.

They always want to know where you live, and then give you one contact. In my case, that was 325 miles away.

So I ask for a location near our winter home, and get one contact. Less than 325 miles, but come on.

Why not give me a complete list and let me decide which destination I could work into a vacation? I don't get it.

I just tinted my car with photosync 55% all around except the windshield. I notice a blue haze when I look through the windows where the sun is and at the right angle. My question is that blue haze there with the windshield and 75%? I wear non polarized sun glasses so I am not worried about those effects.

Thanks,
Chris

I did photosync 45 on every window (pano and back included) and I don't notice any blue haze at all. It's a nice tint from the outside looking in. From the inside looking out, the tint looks much less than it really is but works wonders. I was also REALLY concerned about the effects the tint might have with polarized sunglasses but have been super happy with that as well. Virtually zero change with polarized glasses on.

I did get the front windshield done with Solar Gard Ultra Performance 75 (only because my shop didn't have photosync in that low of a tint). That's a ceramic based tint - pretty much clear. From the outside looking in, I do see a pretty distinct blueish reflection off the windshield. It actually looks pretty cool. Inside looking out has some minor color distortion but very minimal and any issues are offset by the heat reduction it provides.

Thanks,
Chris

I also have 55% on sides and rear. The slight blue tint and a very slight impact to clarity through the tinted windows is obvious to me when I look from the inside, out, through the front windshield that is OEM clear, and the PhotoSync 55% at the same time. I've tried my little test with and without my prescription bifocals, as well as my prescription polarized and non-polarized glasses (I have both)in bright sunlight and overcast/cloudy conditions, and I see the same difference -- it's just more obvious in some combinations than others. The blue tint is not obvious from the outside looking in.

My installer, as well as other people on forums like this consider the tinting to be "clear or close to it" -- including PhotoSync 75% that I compared at my installer, but didn't go ahead with. It may be OK for some, but it isn't for me. We are each perhaps more or less critical of such things. Personally, as happy as I am with my PhotoSync 55%, and even beyond the legality point in some States, given what I see installed of the Photsync 55%, and my side-by-side short test of the 75%, I would never put tint on my front windshield. I prefer a crystal clear view ahead of me all the time, will put up with a bit more heat while driving if I must, and just unroll the heat shield for my front window I keep in my trunk footwell when I park outside in the heat of day for any extended period of time.

A lot of people are fine with tint in the front, including other Tesla owners that went to the same installer I did. Personally, I think you should go to your installer, take a test swatch of the 75%, and tape it to the inside of your windshield -- then see what you think. The test won't be exactly what you'd see once it was installed and cured, but is likely a lot better approximation than you'll get in words from us. Good luck.

New 2015 Model S with Huper Optik window tint installed by Glistening Perfection in Aliso Veijo, CA.

Just over a week ago I picked up my brand new 85D Obsidian Black Tesla and have been smiling ever since. Just like with any new luxury item I buy, the first thing I do is research fully how to care for it and
treat it right. The Tesla was no different. I knew I wanted to tint the windows but how can you know what quality item to use and who to have install it correctly? I mean how many of has seen those cars with the window tint bubbling up and peeling off - no thanks, not for my black beauty. So, with the help of this forum, and the web, I went through every review and came down to the choice of Photosync vs. Huper Optik. They are both great products but obviously vary to some degree. I decided on the photosync and started calling around for quotes and availability.

Moe with Glistening Perfection is one of those resources that is HIGHLY regarded on this forum and in the industry itself. Tim with Adonis Detail (phenomenal individual) in Carlsbad, CA thinks highly of Moe and vice versa. When Moe and I first talked on the phone it was easy to tell right off that he knows all of the products. His approach is to tell the client the details of each product, the honest truth regarding good and bad, and then let the customer decide which one is best for them. Like I said, I was leaning towards Photosync but honestly didn't want the "blue-ish hue" that is reported, therefore I settled on the Huper Optik. So, Moe and I scheduled a time to get my car in.

I am in the medical field and therefore my schedule can be a bit chaotic. Moe was as gracious as anyone could ask. I literally delayed and then cancelled my appointment within hours of our arranged time. Moe understood and just kept coming up with solutions until it all worked out. On first meet, the guys who work for Moe were energetic and extremely professional. There was another Tesla getting prettied up and several high end vehicles awaiting their turn. They asked me many details about my car, and were extremely patient in addressing all of my questions, concerns and thoughts. Moe arranged to have the car washed afterwards and my heart skipped a little beat with how immaculate it looked!!!!! I mean it was so professionally done it was like it came right out of the factory. Moe took the time to explain the curing process for the tint and how he wants to see me back at later date to evaluate that all is perfect. Can you ask for more service than that??

In the end, I am just a guy who likes nice things and goes to great lengths to ensure that others who touch them have the passion to be OCD about detail. Isn't that what we are paying for?

If you are
looking for tinting options for your Tesla in California, Moe at Glistening Perfection is as capable, professional and enthusiastic enough to take care of the job properly. You can trust him and you will not regret it!

Tomorrow AM I am having Llumar CTX 35 put on all the windows and the Air80 on the windshield. Being in CA I didn't want to go too dark and I like a uniform look. I have black interior so it will probably look a bit darker than with lighter interior. Anyone else out Air80 on the windshield? Any more rainbow effects reported? I heard they changed it a bit and there aren't as many reports. I am not sure where I heard that and if it is true.

Cheers

GG

Good to hear. Do you use polarized sun glasses while in the car? How blue is the tint?

Yes, I do. The only rainbowing and pink hues I see are in certain glare spots and I see the same outside the car, so nothing contributed to the windshield. I don't notice it as well. The "blue" is as light as the visibility tint on a pair of contact lenses, making nearly no difference in real use.

On my car it occasionally makes the tires of other cars green or purple. Strange effect and only noticeable one.

Hmmm. I've seen green, pink, and purple, but at a red light and lowering my window I saw the same out the window. Not saying the tint couldn't contribute to that, but I don't have a good control to see it where it is strictly because of the windshield.

Hmmm. I've seen green, pink, and purple, but at a red light and lowering my window I saw the same out the window. Not saying the tint couldn't contribute to that, but I don't have a good control to see it where it is strictly because of the windshield.

Well, keep in mind that my side windows have the 80% blue and my windshield is untinted. I can lower the windows and fix the crazy colors - but they are more amusing than anything else.