Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for the additional info. I'm leaning towards spectra photo sync. but for completeness sake, anyone have any comparisons to Huper Optik?
Longatto,

Here is a video comparison we did a while back.

1) The Porsche GT3 had Huper 50% on the front windows. (We eventually replaced it with Spectra Photosync.)
vs.
2) The Nissan Leaf have Photosync 55% in comparison. (5% lighter, but better performance)

Notice the performance difference from the BTU meter. The BTU meter is not the end all for measuring heat, it does give a general sense for the performance of a window film.

• Informative
Reactions: baldwin and Joelc
Can anyone point me to pics of a model S deep blue with white interior with photosync tint? I can't decide between 35 or 45 on the sides/back.

Still also not sure about 35/75 on the roof but maybe that decision will be more apparent when I actually get the car and see how much sun comes in the roof.

If you are in the LA area, we highly recommend contacting Extreme Autowerks (www.extremeautowerks.net). They have extensive experience with Teslas (that's always important) and are authorized Dealers for Spectra PhotoSync and CeraLuxe. These are the top 2 heat rejecting window films on the market.

Thanks for your input. I'm looking for someone in Orange County, any suggestions? I plan on checking the Spectra website too.

Can anyone point me to pics of a model S deep blue with white interior with photosync tint? I can't decide between 35 or 45 on the sides/back.

Still also not sure about 35/75 on the roof but maybe that decision will be more apparent when I actually get the car and see how much sun comes in the roof.

Not a white interior, but here is one with Photosync 45%. 35% will be slightly darker.
sph 45.jpg

Reactions: MarkKW
Spectra Photosync is in a completely different class of window film. It is capable of rejecting most of the IR (infrared radiation) not just at the basic 800-1000nm of the spectrum that most window "tints" on the market produce. Photosync can reject up to the mid to upper 90% of infrared even at the 1700nm, which no window film has been able to do. Their technology does come at a price and our clients (ranging from Teslas to Ferraris) are quite happy with it. The difference is also that you do not need to go dark to be able to block an solid amount of heat, which is the highlight of its 95%+ block of infrared even with their lighter films.

Some other tid bits about Spectra PhotoSync:
1. 2 ply - which makes it 2 mils thick. Conventional "tints" are only 1 mil
2. It's tech allows it to block the highest amount of infrared radiation without going dark - this works very well for our clients with hypercars / supercars like Pagani, Ferrari, Bugatti, etc.
3. this film does not affect the 4G system in the Teslas
4. 1700nm is where it really matters. At this wavelength Photosync blocks out 95%-98% of infrared vs. 3m Crystalline it blocks out only 80%.

Is Photosync worth all that? I just got a couple of quotes in TX for 35% sides/rear and 75% windshield, both around $1200!
This is insanely expensive compared to my previous car Huper Optic Ceramic for $380.

Huper Optic has a reflective look and it does affect wireless signals. We have had issues with it first hand even though they claim it doesn't. Here are others who have had problems as well: Huper Optik Tint - Comfort Access Problem

As for price of Photosync, it is likely to be the most expensive film on the market, but as one of our Tesla customer said: "for about an extra $20 per month, I get to enjoy my car in comfort".

CeraLuxe Quantum Ceramic is a solid nano-ceramic alternative to Spectra PhotoSync. It is made by the same manufacturer of Spectra PhotoSync (Prestige Film Technologies - www.prestige-films.com) and it does not affect any wireless signals like Huper. CeraLuxe borrows some of PhotoSync's tech, which is why it has such impressive performance numbers:

CeraLuxe Quantum Ceramic® | Prestige

I have 3M Crystalline on my S550 but after research planning to go with Spectra Photosync for the Model S.
Like to get input on two areas:
1) I am in the bay area and considering getting 55% front and 35% back to minimize risk of getting a front-tint citation. I was successful in not getting a ticket with this tint on my prior car. What are others in the bay area doing and did anybody get cited for a 55% front tint?
2) Any recommendations for installer in the bay area (pretty much any city between Oakland and Mountain View works). What did others pay for Photosync on their Model S in the bay area?

Thanks for the input!

I have 3M Crystalline on my S550 but after research planning to go with Spectra Photosync for the Model S.
1) I am in the bay area and considering getting 55% front and 35% back to minimize risk of getting a front-tint citation. I was successful in not getting a ticket with this tint on my prior car. What are others in the bay area doing and did anybody get cited for a 55% front tint?
2) Any recommendations for installer in the bay area (pretty much any city between Oakland and Mountain View works). What did others pay for Photosync on their Model S in the bay area?

Thanks for the input!

Premier who chimed in earlier is the only company in the Bay allowed to carry the photosync brand. I've used them on 5 cars now and their work is phenomenal. The product is great too especially in those summer months

Thanks for the input!

Give us a call if you have any questions or would like to see a live demo to see how Photosync compares to all other films.

Reactions: markn455
So I've spent a few hours now reading about tint and still cannot figure out which direction I should go. If anyone feels like offering up some suggestions, I will gladly take them. My main concerns are:

- UV blocking. I've already had some skin cancer on the left side of my face removed and don't want to do it again. A small spot, but apparently now I can be prone to it. So this is my #1 concern. Because of that, I want to definitely tint the front windshield too. I can most likely get a script from my dermatologist for the tint (new rule in CA, still trying to understand it fully however), so I'm not too worried about the legality issues.

- Looks. I prefer no color hues. My car is white so if anything I'd like the windows to just be a bit darker than they are now. I don't like the very tinted look either, so I'm thinking something in the range of 35 to 45 for the side windows in terms of tint. All the same tint % as I prefer the uniform look.

- Cost. I don't think I want to spend 800+ on tinting all windows and the front windshield. So I guess that puts Photosync out?

It seems like many people like the Crystalline 3M 70 on the front windshield. Would it make sense then to just do that for all the windows (maybe 30-40 range on the sides)? But then I read about some purple hues to the 3M... Pinnacle I've read some good things about too, same with Lumar and then maybe the tier down from Photosync (the Ceralux). I'll be honest, I'm a bit confused now.

At the risk of being annoying and bumping the thread again, I don't know why but trying to choose the tint is driving me mad. I think I've read this entire thread twice already. But I've narrowed it down to:

- Crystalline 60 on sides/rear, 70 on windshield
- Formula 1 Pinnacle 50 sides/rear, Air 80 Llumar on the front windshield

And now I can't decide. I just want a slightly tinted look and care mostly about UV protection and heat concerns. Pricing is about $180 more for the 3M CR, and both shops are very reputed. Part of me says take the cheaper price and nicer charcoal color of the F1, the other part just says pay the small premium for the higher quality film. Any thoughts are more than welcome.