Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Word of advice MoeMistry, I run several private companies and one public corporation, so I would say I am somewhat qualified for this comment. If you are wrong just admit to it. Continuously bickering over it and deflecting issues to other invalid points are problems we deal with in politics. This should not be the case here. Friendly advice ~

My wife decided to have tint done while I was out of town despite my advice to not tint the MS. She had Huper put on abd the flames marks were horrendous. My assistant took the car back and the tinters said it was normal because they put heat to make he tint conform. This was not only frustrating, but we had it all removed only to replace with Photosynch and those flame marks are now gone. Is this tint the "best"? Who knows. But I can say definitively that it does not have any of the drawbacks of Huper and Llumar. I am pickier than most, so these things may not bother others. To me it is night and day difference in how the car looks.

Wow mr big. Now I know to let everyone know my importance before posting. Thanks for letting me know.

Sounds like you went to an inexperienced installer. Or they used the illegal huper. Many other have had a great experience with Huper and using Moe's service at GP. He gets the best to do his installs while he details the hell out of your car. There's a reason many with high end cars in SoCal only use his services.

if it hasn't been pointed out somewhere else in this thread, those "flames" and rainbow discoloration is called "ghosting". it's a result from the amount of heat used to shrink the tint to conform to the window. usually you'll see it on the rear window as that is the window with the most curvature and requires the most shrinkage. AFAIK it's more prevalent in Huper Optik than any other film due to the type of ceramic used in the film itself. most other films won't have this effect at all. it's kinda funny how these "higher-end" films end up looking crappier than medium-grade films. I have yet to hear anything negative about photosync, besides it's high cost of course.

You're right about the "ghosting" for Huper, but it's not always noticeable. On my BMW, you can only see it under sunlight. Still unsightly when you do see them.

We have been in business for 20 years and our tinters have over 50 years of experience between the two of them. We are not a tint shop. We are well-known and regarded in our industry, but I commission the best in their industry to do work that we choose not to specialize in. We basically make their work better by the techniques we have and by the high standards we impose on our vendors.

So, you are not a tint shop yet you come here to "educate" us MS owners about tint.

You are not a tint shop, yet you are capable of "make their work better by the techniques we have"

So you hire tint shops to come in to do the tint for you. And you mark it up. So you're a car dealership because that's exactly what they do.

The Huper on my BMW had CA issues as well as AM static immediately after tinting. (yes, I listen to AM).

The point here is that there is a hidden agenda from someone coming in with clearly not much experience in this field, but claim to be the top shop for it. What I like about TMC so far is that it's free of vendors and ads. I just hope that it remains a site where us Tesla owners can come in and talk about the car we love so much without a vendor providing their $0.02

Last edited:
...bringing it back:

yobigd20, how do you like the 3M that has remained on you car? Realize you tore it off the back window for very warranted reasons (I hate that purple look too).

the 3M remaining on side windows are look fine. it really varies depending on the angle of the light and your perspective. If I were to do it all over again, I probably just would have done photosync on everything. but march of 2013 when I originally had everything tinted I dont know if anyone was doing photosync yet nor do I know of any installers in the area. I think its too new.

Word of advice MoeMistry, I run several private companies and one public corporation, so I would say I am somewhat qualified for this comment. If you are wrong just admit to it. Continuously bickering over it and deflecting issues to other invalid points are problems we deal with in politics. This should not be the case here. Friendly advice ~

My wife decided to have tint done while I was out of town despite my advice to not tint the MS. She had Huper put on abd the flames marks were horrendous. My assistant took the car back and the tinters said it was normal because they put heat to make he tint conform. This was not only frustrating, but we had it all removed only to replace with Photosynch and those flame marks are now gone. Is this tint the "best"? Who knows. But I can say definitively that it does not have any of the drawbacks of Huper and Llumar. I am pickier than most, so these things may not bother others. To me it is night and day difference in how the car looks.

Huper Ceramic 30 and darker are very susceptible to "ghosting" and it is a heat shrinking issue. The trick is low heat but most installers treat it like normal tint and blast it with heat. There are techniques to eliminate that and there are techniques that minimize that as well. It's not an installer-friendly film. It took my guys months to figure it out, then we ended up coming up with our own technique. A skilled installer will minimize this effect to the point it can faintly be seen under certain lighting conditions. Sorry to hear you had such a poor experience with huper. Hope the shop stood by their work and made it right.

the 3M remaining on side windows are look fine. it really varies depending on the angle of the light and your perspective. If I were to do it all over again, I probably just would have done photosync on everything. but march of 2013 when I originally had everything tinted I dont know if anyone was doing photosync yet nor do I know of any installers in the area. I think its too new.

One thing I've learned from this thread is that there are lots of positive and negative opinions about every other brand of tint, but seemingly universal praise for Photosync.

Other than it's price, of course.

I just need to find an installer in Toronto who carries it. Oh, and to actually take delivery of my car, too. :)

Huper Ceramic 30 and darker are very susceptible to "ghosting" and it is a heat shrinking issue. The trick is low heat but most installers treat it like normal tint and blast it with heat. There are techniques to eliminate that and there are techniques that minimize that as well. It's not an installer-friendly film. It took my guys months to figure it out, then we ended up coming up with our own technique. A skilled installer will minimize this effect to the point it can faintly be seen under certain lighting conditions. Sorry to hear you had such a poor experience with huper. Hope the shop stood by their work and made it right.

The installer just brushed it away as being normal. Huper is even worst acknowledging this is a common occurrence. I have absolutely 0 faith in Huper. I spent some money, but I'm glad it's over with. Not worth the hassle.

I've never posted a photo so let's see if I know how. Here is my black Model S with 20% tints on the sides and 5% (limo tint) on the back hatch.
View attachment 19597View attachment 19598

@SuperCoug - your car looks BAD ASS! (this is meant to be an extreme compliment.) I'm looking thru pics on forums today to decide whether to go 35% (ceramic) on my Red Model S; leaning towards 35%, am in Marietta, GA, and hoping to see some Red cars with various ceramic tint levels in my browsing, but I had to stop to comment your car's bad assedness.

I've only read about half of this thread. Seems to be a problem because of improper ventilation in the rear hatch. I emailed my advisor about the current production changes and Tesla doesn't have any changes to ventilation. From what I've gathered, Photosync seems to be the goto product. We have been ranging in the 70s, but once Spring kicks into full gear, we are going to get steamy. I've always had dark tints, but may consider doing lighter for the benefits of Photosync of staying clear. We "Confirmed" in late December and will be taking delivery of our first EV in a few weeks. Anyone can recommend someone for Photosync in Miami? My tint guy of 10 years does not carry it.

@bradhs

I have a black Model S with Photosync 45 on sides and back and don't notice any "bluish" tint. Very happy with looks and heat reduction. Now I just have to get the windshield done...

IMG_1867.JPG

IMG_1857.JPG

IMG_2890.JPG

Hi SarahsDad,

I have the exact same car and am concerned the 45 would be too dark at night. Would you say it's a tad to dark? I was thinking of going with 55 or 65 so that it is not too dark. Also, did you use 45 all around, including the front windows?

@bradhs

I have a black Model S with Photosync 45 on sides and back and don't notice any "bluish" tint. Very happy with looks and heat reduction. Now I just have to get the windshield done...

Hi SarahsDad,

I have the exact same car and am concerned the 45 would be too dark at night. Would you say it's a tad to dark? I was thinking of going with 55 or 65 so that it is not too dark. Also, did you use 45 all around, including the front windows?

I don't have a problem with 20% being "too dark" at night. My old Camaro had 5% and 15% and I didn't think that was "too dark" either. 45 % is too light IMO lol

I'm hoping to still make use of the back and side windows. And by "make use", I mean be able to decipher that a car is behind me vs a police car (highway patrol) is behind me. One of the primary reasons I have not tinted my windows yet and leaning towards 55% or 65%.

I don't have a problem with 20% being "too dark" at night. My old Camaro had 5% and 15% and I didn't think that was "too dark" either. 45 % is too light IMO lol

I'm hoping to still make use of the back and side windows. And by "make use", I mean be able to decipher that a car is behind me vs a police car (highway patrol) is behind me. One of the primary reasons I have not tinted my windows yet and leaning towards 55% or 65%.

I have photosync 45 and love it. I'll try to take a picture from in the car tomorrow for ya

?

I got a quote today for Cristalline all the way around (including pano roof and winshield) for $550. I called Speedshield and was quoted $1325 for Spectra Photosync. I can't believe the price difference. I realize the Photosync is better tint, but is it really $775 better?

I saw these numbers on this thread:

3M Crystalline 40 has a TSER of 59%
Spectra PS75 has a TSER of 53.5-61.5%
Spectra PS35 has a TSER of 75%

So my question is, is a TSER difference of 16% really noticeable? I do live in Dallas, and it gets quite hot in the summer.

My Audi had Wincos film on it and I hated it. I'm sure it rejected heat and all, but it was flimsy and scratched easily.

Where did you end up choosing in Dallas?

I'm pretty much all set on getting PhotoSync 55 front and back. The only question is the windshield. Is there any better choices than PhotoSync 75? I want it to shield the heat but to affect/alter as little light transmission as possible.