Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great job on tests. Do you think Photosync 75 on all windows except windshield would be a waste of money ( subjective I know)? Really don't want tinted look but also don't want to apply such a light tint if it doesn't do much. Thanks.

You might also want to consider other clear 3M products for just the side windows, such as 3M ScotchShield SASC, it's a 90% security film, with UV protection and mild IR blocking. The youtube videos on this security film, will show you the advantages. I have heard a few cops and firefighters who highly recommend it from the DC/Baltimore area, but never known anyone with it installed on a Tesla.

+1 on Photosync. I'm in the DC/Baltimore area, and just had the Photosync 55/45 installed on the sides and rear, 75/70 on the Windshield by Home Window Tinting Maryland | Office Window Tinting Baltimore| DC| VA | Vista Window Film Dealer | Marylands Only FormulaOne Automotive Tint Dealer. I was back and forth for months between Crystalline and Photosync, but you guys helped make my decision. All of the pictures helped too. I really like the factory matching light blue glint, as opposed to the bronze glint that I get with 3M crystalline on my other vehicles.

The techie in me, broke out the FLIR for comparison, since everyone else has already done the timed thermometer test videos and hundreds of photo's. I can confirm before and after photo sync, 90 minutes in the high sun, 95 F outside, direct sun. Here are the results.

before:
Notice how the seat is a solid ~125 F, and even the doors are hot.
(The factory glass appears colder due to low thermal emissivity, and the cold thermometer was not in there the whole time)
View attachment 52858

After Photosync:
Notice how the seat temperature is 20-30 F lower, and the doors are cooler. The backseats are also significantly cooler as well.
(The tint appears hotter, because it is, but compared to regular glass, this tint has a normal thermal emissivity)
View attachment 52860

This is very neat. Thank you for sharing.

+1 on Photosync. I'm in the DC/Baltimore area, and just had the Photosync 55/45 installed on the sides and rear, 75/70 on the Windshield by Home Window Tinting Maryland | Office Window Tinting Baltimore| DC| VA | Vista Window Film Dealer | Marylands Only FormulaOne Automotive Tint Dealer. I was back and forth for months between Crystalline and Photosync, but you guys helped make my decision. All of the pictures helped too. I really like the factory matching light blue glint, as opposed to the bronze glint that I get with 3M crystalline on my other vehicles.

The techie in me, broke out the FLIR for comparison, since everyone else has already done the timed thermometer test videos and hundreds of photo's. I can confirm before and after photo sync, 90 minutes in the high sun, 95 F outside, direct sun. Here are the results.

before:
Notice how the seat is a solid ~125 F, and even the doors are hot.
(The factory glass appears colder due to low thermal emissivity, and the cold thermometer was not in there the whole time)
View attachment 52858

After Photosync:
Notice how the seat temperature is 20-30 F lower, and the doors are cooler. The backseats are also significantly cooler as well.
(The tint appears hotter, because it is, but compared to regular glass, this tint has a normal thermal emissivity)
View attachment 52860

Can't see your first attachment for some reason. Great info in any event. Could I ask what the installation ran you?

You might also want to consider other clear 3M products for just the side windows, such as 3M ScotchShield SASC, it's a 90% security film, with UV protection and mild IR blocking. The youtube videos on this security film, will show you the advantages. I have heard a few cops and firefighters who highly recommend it from the DC/Baltimore area, but never known anyone with it installed on a Tesla.

Thanks. I'll check that out as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Why doesn't Tesla sell a windshield with 'solar guard' or whatever that was they had on the Roadster. Something that is baked into the glass to reduce the heat without any tint effect and legal in every state.

- - - Updated - - -

Why doesn't Tesla sell a windshield with 'solar guard' or whatever that was they had on the Roadster. Something that is baked into the glass to reduce the heat without any tint effect and legal in every state.
It does-- the Model S windshield has a metallic coating that blocks UV and IR. Thats why toll tags only work if they're mounted in the small area to the right of the rear view mirror where the coating was left off for this reason.

It does-- the Model S windshield has a metallic coating that blocks UV and IR. Thats why toll tags only work if they're mounted in the small area to the right of the rear view mirror where the coating was left off for this reason.

Problem is, it's designed for moderate California conditions, not Texas or Arizona.

For those of you in Tucson wanting Prestige PhotoSync, looks like Affordable Windowtinting is about to become the Southern Az authorized PhotoSync dealer- I will be taking my MS there as soon as they have material in hand.

Affordable Window Tinting got approved and just received their first rolls of PhotoSync, 75, 45 and 35 is what they received. I was their first install, I did 75 on the side windows and 45 on the rear hatch- I didn't want to have the tinting be too dark for California- and wanted the side windows to "match". They did a great job, and I can attest that the tinting does seem to keep the interior cooler. The side windows now feel about like the pano roof with the sun shining on them. I wear polarized sunglasses and noticed a slight rainbow effect as expected. I'd say it's a little less than with the 3M crystalline product I had on my LEAF. For those of you in Tucson, I highly recommend these guys

PhotoSync 75 on doors and 45 on hatch

I've gotten a request for photos of the car with PhotoSync 75 on the door windows and 45 on the hatch window. ( no tint on the windshield)

Before PhotoSync Note it was sunny that day
IMG_0002_2.jpg
IMG_0001_2.jpg

After PhotoSync Note it's overcast today
IMG_0490.jpg
IMG_0491.jpg
IMG_0492.jpg
IMG_0493.jpg

Overall I'm happy with PhotoSync

Great job on tests. Do you think Photosync 75 on all windows except windshield would be a waste of money ( subjective I know)? Really don't want tinted look but also don't want to apply such a light tint if it doesn't do much. Thanks.

My understanding is that there is a difference in how well photosynch blocks heat based on the darkness of the tint. Darker for photosynch = better overall heat block. This is straight from my tint installer and they are pretty experienced.

Hi all. We just wanted to share our experience and test results for PhotoSync. We used a highly sophisticated equipment to conduct our own test between PhotoSync and Crystalline. This machine is capable of reproducing the solar spectrum and can calculate a solar product performance with respect to 3 important global standards:

1. EN410 (2011)
2. ISO9050 (2003)
3. NFRC 300 (2010) - this is the most important one for us window tinters because it is a USA standard
*this equipment is patented and a very accurate measuring tool we use.

Many films on the market boast high IR rejection #s, but they usually take their highest performing #s. Typically, the easiest performance #s to gain is in the short IR between 900-1000nm. This represents a very small portion of the IR spectrum, which ranges from 780-2500. In general, these other window tints perform not as well in the higher ranges. BTU meters typically run in the range from 900-1000, so it is not representative of its true performance. On the IR scale, the range between 1100-1600 is the spot that is critical to heat transmission. With this unit, it can measure two different values:

900-1000
780-1700+

We just installed window film to this Tesla Model S with 55 on the front two and 35 on all of the back windows. As you can see SPH55 blocks out 98% of IR (allowing 2% to transmit through) on the 900-1000 scale. With the higher spectral range 780-1700, it comes through with 97% IR rejection (allowing 3% to transmit through). Simplified results:

SPH55
900-1000nm 98% IR Rejection
780-1700nm 97% IR Rejection

SPH35

**quite consistent results and only 1% variance in the higher nanometer range

Crystalline 40
780-1700nm 85% IR Rejection

**as you can see the performance drops when you are looking at the higher IR range.

Before actually conducting our own test, we were a little perplexed as to why the TSER is so different between PhotoSync and Crystalline even though their IR numbers are close. Now it is clear. It is because on Crystalline, their performance drops when you reach the higher nm of the IR Spectrum whereas PhotoSync is highly consistent with high IRR (infrared rejection)

Attachments

• 3m crystalline test.png
    3m crystalline test.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,436
  • sph35 test.png
    sph35 test.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,438
  • sph55 test.png
    sph55 test.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,439
Last edited:
Hi all. We just wanted to share our experience and test results for PhotoSync. We used a highly sophisticated equipment to conduct our own test between PhotoSync and Crystalline. This machine is capable of reproducing the solar spectrum and can calculate a solar product performance with respect to 3 important global standards:

1. EN410 (2011)
2. ISO9050 (2003)
3. NFRC 300 (2010) - this is the most important one for us window tinters because it is a USA standard
*this equipment is patented and a very accurate measuring tool we use.

Many films on the market boast high IR rejection #s, but they usually take their highest performing #s. Typically, the easiest performance #s to gain is in the short IR between 900-1000nm. This represents a very small portion of the IR spectrum, which ranges from 780-2500. In general, these other window tints perform not as well in the higher ranges. BTU meters typically run in the range from 900-1000, so it is not representative of its true performance. On the IR scale, the range between 1100-1600 is the spot that is critical to heat transmission. With this unit, it can measure two different values:

900-1000
780-1700+

We just installed window film to this Tesla Model S with 55 on the front two and 35 on all of the back windows. As you can see SPH55 blocks out 98% of IR (allowing 2% to transmit through) on the 900-1000 scale. With the higher spectral range 780-1700, it comes through with 97% IR rejection (allowing 3% to transmit through). Simplified results:

SPH55

SPH35

**quite consistent results and only 1% variance in the higher nanometer range

Crystalline 40
780-1700nm 85% IR Rejection

**as you can see the performance drops when you are looking at the higher IR range.

Before actually conducting our own test, we were a little perplexed as to why the TSER is so different between PhotoSync and Crystalline even though their IR numbers are close. Now it is clear. It is because on Crystalline, their performance drops when you reach the higher nm of the IR Spectrum whereas PhotoSync is highly consistent with high IRR (infrared rejection)

Thanks to Premier Mobile for substantiating what many of us MS owners feel. This seems to be the best all around tint for us techies. I'm still very happy with my photosynch especially during these summer months.

Thanks to Premier Mobile for substantiating what many of us MS owners feel. This seems to be the best all around tint for us techies. I'm still very happy with my photosynch especially during these summer months.

Agree. Thanks to Premier Mobile for testing.

Could you test the 75 as well? If it's close would rather get that.

Agree. Thanks to Premier Mobile for testing.

Could you test the 75 as well? If it's close would rather get that.

Sorry for the delayed response - been very busy here. Here you go (Quick note, the films have not yet been been activated, so they are at the base performance scale - once exposed to direct IR and UV, the performance of the product improves):

SPH75
900-1000nm 87%
780-1700+ 84%

SPH65
900-1000nm 92%
780-1700+ 89%

It seems the numbers reflect pretty closely to Prestige's data. However, one important note is that the spectrum analyzer used here measures to about 1750nm. Prestige and some manufacturers have the capability to measure it all the way to 2500nm, so there may be a variance, but the #s we have measured on this analyzer using NFRC 300 standards will be as close as we get. This solar spectrum analyzer is made by EDTM and utilizes patented optics to reproduce the spectrum to perform the analysis. If we are not mistaken, this is the only unit on the market that can measure past 1700nm while BTU meters typically measure in the lower end.

Also keep in mind that IR represents about 53% of the solar spectrum. The remaining is VLT and UV. So naturally the darker you go, even with SPH, the better TSER #s.

Hope this helps dsm!

- - - Updated - - -

Realistically speaking, all the major tint manufacturers make some real good products. Performance / data is only one item to consider. There's quite a bit of subjectivity that comes to play when it is about window film - color, shade, pricing / budget, etc. Choose what you are most comfortable with and look at the work of the installer prior to going with them. This is where it is quite important to getting the right installer to do your tint or clear bra. Wrong company = more money + time spent.

Huper, Crystalline, F1, and PhotoSync are all top notch products. You can't go wrong with any of them for your Tesla.

Attachments

• sph65.jpg
    sph65.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,290
  • sph75.jpg
    sph75.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,307
Thank you. Very helpful.

Which percentage would you recommend if you wanted the lightest shade possible but still effective heat blocking for the money? Looks like 65% is the sweet spot.

That's a tough one. Can tell you what we do mostly, but we are in Northern California so it may not reflect what's popular in Seattle. Most of our Tesla customers get 55 for the fronts and either 35 or 45 in the rears. 75 is almost certain on the windshield though we do get some customers opting for 65 on the windshield from time to time. Note: Not legal. :) I'll try to dig up some photos...can you pm me w/ your email address so I can shoot you photos.

Which percentage would you recommend if you wanted the lightest shade possible but still effective heat blocking for the money? Looks like 65% is the sweet spot.
I've mention this in some window tinting thread before, but I have 65% PhotoSync all around, except the windshield, where I have 75% (non on the pano). I live in AZ and find that this blocks out most of the heat and makes night time driving a pleasure, due to great visibility. Here is a link to my Flickr Album with pictures of the inside and outside of the car with PhotoSync tinting: Tesla Model S P85 Photosync 65% + 75% Windshield - an album on Flickr

In addition to testing SPH (spectra photosync) with the spectrum analyzer and comparing it to a film like Crystalline, we also like to put other things to test. First of all, what does it really mean with all these data points? How does it translate to real world performance?

So some time last year we were just curious as to how hot the Tesla gets in the back where the jumpseats are located. Obviously there is no air ventilation, so it's been an issue we are very aware of based on Tesla owners' comments. One summer day 2013, we just so happened to have two black Teslas at our facility on the same day, which was the perfect scenario or a product performance test. This test also shows why it is so dangerous to leave children in the car.

Test Subjects - 2 Tesla Model S (both Black)
Tesla 1 - No Film
Tesla 2 - Spectra PhotoSync 45 installed to the side glasses + rear hatch
*We are testing air temperature, which is what we all feel when we sit inside the car

30 Minute Test in the Rear Hatch with both vehicles side by side
Duration: 30 Minutes
Time of Test: 3:35 pm
Exterior Temperature: 88 degrees
Purpose: Compare air temperatures inside hatch between vehicle with no window film and the other with Spectra PhotoSync installed

Here are the two test mules:
attachment.php?attachmentid=279633&dateline=1378952749.jpg

Test Vehicle 1 - No Film
Start off at 84 degrees

attachment.php?attachmentid=279634&dateline=1378952749.jpg

In just 3 minutes the temperature rose to 92 degrees
attachment.php?attachmentid=279635&dateline=1378952749.jpg

Close to 7 minutes, the air temperature rises to 105 degrees
attachment.php?attachmentid=279636&dateline=1378952749.jpg

At the 15 minute marker, temperature is at an unbearable 123 degrees
attachment.php?attachmentid=279646&dateline=1378953973.jpg

26 Minutes - Temperature now reads 136 degrees
attachment.php?attachmentid=279637&dateline=1378952749.jpg

At the end of the 30 minute test, it is a scalding 140 degrees, which is the reason why leaving children in a vehicle can be a fatal mistake.
attachment.php?attachmentid=279638&dateline=1378952749.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Test Vehicle 2 with Spectra PhotoSync 45 installed to the side and rear hatch.

Test starts at 85 degrees

attachment.php?attachmentid=279643&dateline=1378953820.jpg

At the 15 minute marker, it is 96 degrees compared to Vehicle 1 at 123 degrees.

attachment.php?attachmentid=279644&dateline=1378953820.jpg

At the completion of the test at 31 Minutes, the Tesla Model S with Sepctra PhotoSync is at 104 degrees compared to 140 degrees in the other Tesla. This is a 36 degree differential!
attachment.php?attachmentid=279645&dateline=1378953820.jpg