Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X minor refresh coming soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Neither can be dropped without lowering overall platform volumes by 50% and likely making the S/X program much less profitable.
They would still be making money on the S. And free up some manufacturing capacity. Doesn't really make sense to have 2 low volume cars. I wouldn't put it past them to eliminate the S and X but don't think they will.

Reactions: zoomer0056
They would still be making money on the S. And free up some manufacturing capacity. Doesn't really make sense to have 2 low volume cars. I wouldn't put it past them to eliminate the S and X but don't think they will.
For the most part if they’re making one, it’s not too much work for them to make the other - the drivetrain and batteries are shared entirely. The falcon wing doors are overly complicated and expensive, but the engineering is already done. They’re more or less unchanged since the X launched.

For the most part if they’re making one, it’s not too much work for them to make the other - the drivetrain and batteries are shared entirely. The falcon wing doors are overly complicated and expensive, but the engineering is already done. They’re more or less unchanged since the X launched.
I don't think they'll drop either one anytime soon. But when they do a total redesign, I could see them keeping only the Model S. They do need a better selling large SUV if that's not going to be the X. S sales have lagged greatly too as more attention has been paid to 3 and Y than the S and X. Maybe a total redesign will help the S and X sales. But I'll be good for many more years with this new Model S. Will be interesting to see where the S is in 5-6 years.

I don't think they'll drop either one anytime soon. But when they do a total redesign, I could see them keeping only the Model S. They do need a better selling large SUV if that's not going to be the X. S sales have lagged greatly too as more attention has been paid to 3 and Y than the S and X. Maybe a total redesign will help the S and X sales. But I'll be good for many more years with this new Model S. Will be interesting to see where the S is in 5-6 years.
Yeah that’s fair, I could see that happening if/when they pursue a total redesign. Or I could see them taking a 3/Y approach where the X ends up basically being a lifted S

Reactions: dsm363
I have no inside info, and good luck reading Elon's mind, but it seems like they've kinda shown their near-future plans.

Recently:
- Launched non-US Highland 3
- Launched Cyber Truck
Assumptions (in no particular order):
- Launch US Highland 3 (Q1?)
- Possible Highland-type updates for the Y (Asia, then US, like the 3)
- Make progress on the new Gigafactory that will ultimately build the new Model 2/mini Y sub-$30k hot hatch
- Refresh the CT
- Finally launch the Roadster 2?
- Launch the Model 2/mini Y
- Then maybe an SUV to replace the X, or just a major refresh.
- Possible Model S refresh

Above are complete guesses. But seem the most logical:
- The Highland 3 should boost some sales, since it's giving an S experience in a 3 pkg.
- The CT is what it is, a niche cash cow that can help fund the Gigafactory.
- Launching the Roadster would also help fund projects as well
- The real industry impact will be the new Model 2/mini Y. It's going to break sales records. Especially if they approach it from the angle of wanting to totally dominate the market by taking less margin and really lower that price to near $25k, But we'll have to see.
- The next S/X refreshes will need to be pretty big, since they'll probably be moving away from the 12V platform. So I see then as when the real decisions will be made whether to discontinue, replace, or do major changes to them.
None of these are major stretches or big swings. Just my thoughts.

I have no inside info, and good luck reading Elon's mind, but it seems like they've kinda shown their near-future plans.

Recently:
- Launched Cyber Truck
- Make progress on the new Gigafactory that will ultimately build the new Model 2/mini Y sub-$30k hot hatch
- Refresh the CT

Above are complete guesses. But seem the most logical:
- The Highland 3 should boost some sales, since it's giving an S experience in a 3 pkg.
- The CT is what it is, a niche cash cow that can help fund the Gigafactory.
- Launching the Roadster would also help fund projects as well
- The real industry impact will be the new Model 2/mini Y. It's going to break sales records. Especially if they approach it from the angle of wanting to totally dominate the market by taking less margin and really lower that price to near $25k, But we'll have to see.
- The next S/X refreshes will need to be pretty big, since they'll probably be moving away from the 12V platform. So I see then as when the real decisions will be made whether to discontinue, replace, or do major changes to them.
None of these are major stretches or big swings. Just my thoughts.
Refresh the CT...before it really even starts delivering to customers? Interesting...

Refresh the CT...before it really even starts delivering to customers? Interesting...
I didn't put a timeline in on purpose.
But as the first gen of any vehicle, they're going to find more things to fix sooner rather than later, and Tesla doesn't wait for model years, so yeah, they're going to be making several improvements in the first couple of years. They probably won't call it a refresh per se, but there will be multiple changes/improvements.

But as the first gen of any vehicle, they're going to find more things to fix sooner rather than later, and Tesla doesn't wait for model years, so yeah, they're going to be making several improvements in the first couple of years. They probably won't call it a refresh per se, but there will be multiple changes/improvements.
I think multiple improvements is what Tesla does on every vehicle over time. But agree as a new platform, it might happen quicker as the ramp up of production increases.

But I would expect and S and X redesign before any major changes to the Cybertruck. Assuming Tesla keeps the S and X around.

Refresh is unlikely for a while...updates, sure...that happens to all cars. I guess it's semantics...so Highland, Y, X, S, CT will get "refreshes" by your definition as well.

Reactions: ChooseFreedom

Recently:
- Launched Cyber Truck
- Refresh the CT

A minor highland style refresh is already underway Model (S and) X Upcoming Changes?

The thread you linked isn't a refresh.
Ambient lighting and a front camera are 2 very minor additions. (although front camera is long overdue)
Are those even confirmed, or just rumored?
Front camera is a huge addition, when/if it ever comes. It will be a significant improvement for FSD/parking usage.

Don’t pin your hopes on front camera helping FSD. It isn’t a super wide angle and doesn’t give you more view than what is available now. Tesla really needs left and right bumper cameras.
Really makes you wonder how they'll address the thousands of cars on older hardware with no upgrade path. I guess they'll just say they reached some level of autonomy and call it a day?