Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 60D is Gone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question. Does a 60d resale value in a way stabilize now?

A 60d X would have been purchased roughly $16,000 cheaper than cheapest X in first part of 2017 after tax credit expires.

Now it has less range, but there has to be a market for that down the road.

The tax credit is not likely to expire until significant model 3's are shipped, likely 2018. It's 200K cars credited to the tax credit, not cars sold worldwide. Even then it phases out really slowly.
Fair point.

Most 60d owners wouldn't be looking to sell till around 2018 at the earliest (short of new something or another coming out). Still think it helps the few 60d owners out there in the long term.

The tax credit is not likely to expire until significant model 3's are shipped, likely 2018. It's 200K cars credited to the tax credit, not cars sold worldwide.

That is incorrect, it is not based on cars credited to the tax credit, it's based on eligible US cars sold. Whether or not a person qualified for the tax credit isn't known until the they file their taxes.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Definitely took the wind out of my sails a bit. While we hadn't ordered yet, was kind of thinking tentatively getting ours as a 60D delivered in May '17 barring any cataclysm. Kind of funny though, I've been considering our daily travel looking at routes and superchargers for an eventual ModelX. This week my wife had a show in Iowa City, 226 miles away. The only Superchargers on the route are in Aurora (47 miles into the journey which would be slower to top off to 100% than she'd want to spend) and then in Iowas City itself - 26 miles past the top range of a 60D. To do that trip in a 200 mile 60D would be a bit annoying/nerve wracking. It's sort of a unicorn of a situation, but still it made me think that really we should be considering a 75D or even a 90D. I guess I considered it too loudly and so "poof" Tesla helped make the decision for me. :(

What would they load onto a Model 3 to make it cost nearly $74,000?
With a base of $35,000... Add larger battery pack (or 2) at ~$8000 to ~$10,000 each step up, a front motor for the "D" version at $5000, a performance version for $20,000, and ludicrous mode for $10,0000. That ought to get you up there.

Yes, these numbers are based on S and X price jumps. They could be smaller but I haven't even touched on other upgrades like metallic paint, leather (or synthetic) interior, cold weather packages, stereo upgrades, or wood trim. I think you get the idea. Top of the line 3 should be close to $80,000 if not higher.

Reactions: MikeC
Is this possibly a long term plan to increase S and X prices to differentiate them at least by price point from the 3?
Why would they?
After all the talk from Elon about that you won't be able to buy a better car with better equipment for the same money as the Model lll I have hard to understand what will justify the double price of Model S or X? I know that this thread is about Model X but if you compere Model S and Model lll and think about that Model lll will be well equipped, will the bigger trunk so it's a hatshback cost $21k? If you compere Model S with other cars in the same price range Model S is far behind in luxury and fit and finish. The only way I belive that they will be able to justify the higher price of Model S (and Model X) is to do much work on the interior, maybe at least make the premium packege included without higher the price.

If they higher the price people won't think "oh, it's much more expensive then Model lll, we must buy it", they will probably think "you don't get close to what you pay for, let's look at another car" and Teslas sales will drop.

I think I know why they discontinued the X60D. They shifted some of the pack production capacity to 100 kWh packs. The reason is because they need to clear the MX backlog in RHD countries. For example, UK Model X deliveries haven't started yet. They have people waiting for years and they need to deliver those cars this quarter. However, the average transit time to the UK is 55 days. That means they have until 5th Nov to ship all these cars but they don't have enough 100 kWh packs for the X100D's.

To maximize deliveries, the priority of orders is critical. I would imagine something like this:

Step 1: Complete the production of all RHD Model X cars before Nov 5th.
Step 2: Prioritize EU and Asia production until mid-Nov. After that, all production must be 100% for North America.
Step 3: Around 15th Nov, release the S/X 100D versions. There must be people waiting for these cars. It makes sense to capture that demand during this quarter.
Step 4: Firesale in North America after 1st Dec. Expect big discounts on new inventory cars (new cars produced without any customer orders).

As an additional data point to support my theory, here are the Europe Model X delivery numbers in last 3 months: Jul: 47 units, Aug: 292 units, Sep: 1198 units. 601 MX were delivered to Norway alone in Sep. More details here (scroll down until you see the pink MX table). As you see, they are trying to clear the backlog.

By the way, the average transit times for each region are as follows:
USA, California, 5 days
USA, Pacific excluding CA, 7 days
USA, Mountain Time, 9 days
USA, Central Time, 11 days
USA, Eastern Time, 18 days
Canada, 32 days
Europe excluding the UK, 47 days
China or Hong Kong, 50 days
Australia or New Zealand, 43 days
UK, 55 days
Japan, 41 days
This is based on the Model S delivery tracker spreadsheet. These are the results after I processed the file and they include delivery preparation times.

Last edited:
i was going to create a thread for this, but seems like it was briefly brought up in this one...

i have a 60D.. which has the 75D battery in it, right? (hence why it's upgradable after the fact at any time).

question - do i really need to charge at 90% for daily commute, if this is really <90% of the actual 75D battery?

thanks.

i was going to create a thread for this, but seems like it was briefly brought up in this one...

i have a 60D.. which has the 75D battery in it, right? (hence why it's upgradable after the fact at any time).

question - do i really need to charge at 90% for daily commute, if this is really <90% of the actual 75D battery?

thanks.
Yes you have a 75kWh pack. Well some say you can charge to 100% since that's 80% of 75kWh, but some others say you might want to stick with 90% even on the 60kWh because of the way battery management works. Tesla wil never give out an official statement on this so... I would just stick with what Tesla recommends (charge daily and to trip/100% if needed to be).

People have shown the voltage of their pack at 100%. And I quoted, and bolded, the important part from @Ingineer above. But again, we don't know for sure at this point, but so far it looks like 100%=100%.

For all we know Tesla flip-flops it. Today your battery might charge 0-80%, but they could flip it at your next charge to be 20%-100%, and then the day after that it could be 10%-90%. They could even be sampling different cars with different ranges to see how it impacts capacity loss over time. It doesn't have to be just one range for everyone that stays the same forever.
We stopped at our first supercharger the other day and it DEFINITELY did not slow at all as it approached the %100 percent mark. Kinda nice since it filled up a lot faster than we thought it would, which made for an extra special first supercharger visit. And I'm sure Tesla has it cycling which cells it charges so as not to unevenly degrade over time if we never upgraded.

I'm curious if Tesla turns a 75 kWh battery into a 60 kWh battery simply by faking parameters at the pack level, including voltage. We know there is a mode which, for demonstration purposes, turns a higher spec'd car into a lower spec'd car. Rather than rewrite higher level logic to support these modes, which is fragile and maintenance heavy, I would first try to change only pack telemetry. However, perhaps there are reasons why this can't be done, or conclusive proof that Tesla isn't doing this.

There is some incentive for Tesla not to prematurely wear the 60s (as would occur if 100=100); Tesla gets many of their cars back and resells them as CPO, and it would valuable to have the option to resell a 60 as a 75 with little range degradation. I imagine the 60s would wear harder than any other battery pack otherwise due to decreased range causing more and greater cycles.

Last edited:
I am totally bummed that 60D was so short lived. hopefully it makes a comeback. I think having more options is always a better approach to electric care. the mx60D was the best bargain out there.

And I'm sure Tesla has it cycling which cells it charges so as not to unevenly degrade over time if we never upgraded.

The 60 pack is charging all of the cells as if it were a 75. The only variable is whether they are limiting the top-end of the battery or the low-end of the battery. By your supercharging experience, it seems to limit the top-end. Your 100% is 80-something percent on the 75 packs charge. Your batteries are simply never getting a full charge.

• Informative
Reactions: DrivingTheFuture