Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 60D is Gone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody think there's a correlation between the new unveiling this week and the 60 disappearing?
I don't think so. I think it had been confirmed by members, with the technical ability to know, that the model 60 could be charged to 100% as it was really on charging the batteries to 80%. This made the difference between the 60 and 75, in real range very small, and I suspect they were losing 75 sales. It appears to me that 3q was all about delivering a large number of cars and 4thq will be about delivering cars with higher profit margin.

It is widely speculated that the reveal will be a Solar City product: roof with integrated solar panels.

I don't think so. I think it had been confirmed by members, with the technical ability to know, that the model 60 could be charged to 100% as it was really on charging the batteries to 80%. This made the difference between the 60 and 75, in real range very small, and I suspect they were losing 75 sales. It appears to me that 3q was all about delivering a large number of cars and 4thq will be about delivering cars with higher profit margin.

We have yet to see any evidence of that, but we have seen some that 100% on a 60 is actually 100%. Ingineer is supposed to be trying to get his hands on a 60 so he can test and let us know for sure how Tesla is limiting the charging. (Some possibilities are that they are limiting it to 0-80%, 10-90%, or 20-100%.)

It is widely speculated that the reveal will be a Solar City product: roof with integrated solar panels.

Isn't that announcement is scheduled for 10/28?

I'm hoping Tesla brings back the 60D as the 75kwh version isn't worth the $9500 upgrade for those stretching their budgets. Minus the preorders for the P90, I'm pretty sure the sales numbers for the Model X will be down in the next quarter or 2 as most of us are now priced out.

After SAS implementation.

90D - 95,500 base 257 Miles
75D - 85,500 base 237 miles
60D - 76,500 base 200 Miles

The differences from 60D-90D is 20k for an extra 57 miles while the 75D gives an extra 37 miles for 9.5k differences before configuration as the price drastically goes up.

I'm hoping Tesla brings back the 60D as the 75kwh version isn't worth the $9500 upgrade for those stretching their budgets. Minus the preorders for the P90, I'm pretty sure the sales numbers for the Model X will be down in the next quarter or 2 as most of us are now priced out.

After SAS implementation.

90D - 95,500 base 257 Miles
75D - 85,500 base 237 miles
60D - 76,500 base 200 Miles

The differences from 60D-90D is 20k for an extra 57 miles while the 75D gives an extra 37 miles for 9.5k differences before configuration as the price drastically goes up.

Agree and feels like a shot in the foot, we were in that bracket of just being capable of getting an X60D but now priced right out that game, Model S is there of course

Has anyone though about what Tesla strategy is here?

Agree and feels like a shot in the foot, we were in that bracket of just being capable of getting an X60D but now priced right out that game, Model S is there of course

Has anyone though about what Tesla strategy is here?
I think that the range for Model X in cold whether and high speed would be so bad that it wouldn't be able to drive between superchargers at some places. That would could make some customers really angry if tesla sales a so expensive car with free supercharger access and you won't be able to do long distance. Because of that tesla take the safe bet and don't offer that version even if it means a more expensive car.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Could it not be part of a wider strategy, perhaps part of the announcement on the 17th.

I can't see why the 60D is off the menu as it is the one car that a majority of new customers could have pushed to buy, now it is well out of range for pretty much 90% of those customers who could have justified the price and pushed the button.

Maybe the Model X just isn't selling, lots of inventory X on the Tesla main site.

Reactions: Nevetsyad
Funny how the comments here are so different than online articles. The various articles suggest that the the 60d isn't selling well because if one could afford a model x an extra 10k to get more range shouldn't be an issue, so Tesla removed the offering.

Funny how the comments here are so different than online articles. The various articles suggest that the the 60d isn't selling well because if one could afford a model x an extra 10k to get more range shouldn't be an issue, so Tesla removed the offering.

That is a little surprising to some degree, an extra $10K is a hell of a lot (15% or so), and could have covered AP, PUP and Leather Seats instead of an extra 37 miles of range.
Still it is Elon train set and he can do what he likes, I guess I was looking for a 60D but now I can't :-(

That is a little surprising to some degree, an extra $10K is a hell of a lot (15% or so), and could have covered AP, PUP and Leather Seats instead of an extra 37 miles of range.
Still it is Elon train set and he can do what he likes, I guess I was looking for a 60D but now I can't :-(

Yeah, I don't think I'd buy a Model S as it doesn't interest me. I was also dead set on buying a Model X for 84,000 after option for a X60D but now I'm not even considering buy a Tesla. I'm also wondering how big of an impact this will have on their total sales for MY17 of Q1.

Also if you look at the forums, there is practically a multiple threads of the X60 delivery dates that can be combined into a Megathread. I'm thinking that the X60D margins just aren't there for Tesla to sell it. What a bummer.

In my mind the 60d is cutting into their bottom line as they are really selling 75d at a significant discount. The range is definitely enough for many families for daily commutes. Not every family goes on road trips.

We have yet to see any evidence of that, but we have seen some that 100% on a 60 is actually 100%. Ingineer is supposed to be trying to get his hands on a 60 so he can test and let us know for sure how Tesla is limiting the charging. (Some possibilities are that they are limiting it to 0-80%, 10-90%, or 20-100%.)

Isn't that announcement is scheduled for 10/28?
Yes, you are right. Thanks for the correction. I went to Elon's twitter account and see that the 17th is a Tesla announcement.

why does the 75D upgrade button say "includes unlimited supercharging"? doesn't my 60D already have unlimited supercharging?

Did you ever find the answer for this? MVPA and other docs all show Supercharger enabled and I can only assume that when a X or S has that enabled, supercharging will be free. On the Tesla website, it's listed as Standard Equipment that "Free long distance travel on Telsa's expanding Supercharger network".

I'll take the glass half full guess. There are a lot of queued over seas orders after pushing Q3 for US. Tesla has prioritized high end models on the queue previously. If they have the orders to keep production going, focus on the highest markup. They still need have to show their plan for 5 seat orders--why still offer it if otherwise? Could that backlog also be in the works for q4?

I think that the range for Model X in cold whether and high speed would be so bad that it wouldn't be able to drive between superchargers at some places. That would could make some customers really angry if tesla sales a so expensive car with free supercharger access and you won't be able to do long distance. Because of that tesla take the safe bet and don't offer that version even if it means a more expensive car.

I don't think that is the reason, probably a profit margin reason for such a complex car.

I bought the white X60D for Nov delivery hoping if I pushed it back I'd get autopilot 2.0 hardware, here's hoping the announcement on the 17th is just that...

You don't have to drive fast if range is an issue for a given trip and if the cold is really that bad for a given driver they could always upgrade their battery pack to get the extra 37 miles of range.

The other benefit of getting the X60D is I don't pay excise tax on the extra $9k that I will probably add later.