Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 90kWh battery pack degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 90 backs degrade significantly faster than the 85s so its not surprising that your 90 is worse off than your 85. Your degradation on the 90 is probably towards the crappy end of the spectrum, but I doubt Tesla will do anything about it since its basically a fleet wide issue.

Sorry to disagree, but we have a P90D from Dec. 2016, and there has been no detectable battery degradation in 15 months. 90% charge still shows 245 miles just as it did on Day One. We drive about 1,000 miles a month and have about 15 supercharger visits.

Sorry to disagree, but we have a P90D from Dec. 2016, and there has been no detectable battery degradation in 15 months. 90% charge still shows 245 miles just as it did on Day One. We drive about 1,000 miles a month and have about 15 supercharger visits.
I think it was just the earlier 90 batteries (from 2015?) that have the degradation problem.

I have an S90D from December 2016 as well. My 90% is still 263, just as on my delivery day. In the summer of 2017, my 90% was actually up to 265. We'll see if it can still make it to 265 this summer but so far, I'm not seeing much degradation either.

I think it was just the earlier 90 batteries (from 2015?) that have the degradation problem.

I have an S90D from December 2016 as well. My 90% is still 263, just as on my delivery day. In the summer of 2017, my 90% was actually up to 265. We'll see if it can still make it to 265 this summer but so far, I'm not seeing much degradation either.

@MorrisonHiker - can you share your battery pack part number? I have a late 2016 90D too and my 90% is a few miles less than yours and so curious to know if we share the same pack? I'm 1088790-00-A

Hi all. I have noticed rather extreme degradation of my 90 battery pack on the X (P90D). The car was purchased last March has 24k miles. At full charge was about 255 miles full charge and 90% was 225. Now, it’s 235 for a full charge and 208 for 90%.

This, despite what some are saying, is not normal based on my experience with my 2013 model s (p85+) that is almost 5 years old with 54k miles. Full charge on that is now about 255 and new was 263. 90% charge now 228 was 235 so very little degradation.

Do we have recourse? Basically just deal with it? Does anyone have a story where Tesla actually did anything besides telling you it’s normal??

Any movement on this, all of us with 90s need to start making noise

Me too. It certainly seems like something is inherently wrong with the 90's. Silicon?

So the other day I met someone who formerly tested batteries for Tesla at a supercharger, I should have asked more questions but he did mention the 90s have issues. We need to start making some noise so that whatever it is is rectified.

So it’s time for Tesla to do something about it. When we purchased 90s we expected them to be better than 85s

Nothing Tesla can do at this point. Degradation is a word Tesla avoids talking about and I have never heard of a case where Tesla replaced a battery pack because of degradation under warranty. We don't know how long term degradation will turn out. The oldest Model S are only 5 years and only very few have lots of miles on them.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Nothing Tesla can do at this point. Degradation is a word Tesla avoids talking about and I have never heard of a case where Tesla replaced a battery pack because of degradation under warranty. We don't know how long term degradation will turn out. The oldest Model S are only 5 years and only very few have lots of miles on them.

Yep. The S&X warranty specifically exclude "gradual degradation." So all that is covered is failure or sudden degradation. I have seen one person with a 90kWh battery that got their battery replaced by involving the local consumer protection agency and claiming sudden degradation. (At least that is what I recall.)

With the Model 3 they have a 70% energy retention warranty. So I'm not sure if that is better or worse. (With the S&X you could lose 0.5%/month for 25 months, be left with 50% capacity and still not have a warranty claim. I think that happening is unlikely, and even more unlikely that Tesla wouldn't step in and make things right before you got to 50%.)

Rumor has it that Tesla did indeed replace many of the 90 packs but had the owners sign some non-disclosure agreement.

Rumor has it that Tesla did indeed replace many of the 90 packs but had the owners sign some non-disclosure agreement.
Tell me where to sign on the dotted line! Actually I've had very little degradation... 12k miles , 16 months, lost 1-2 miles range. Supercharging speed may have suffered. I need to check that out now that weather is warming and pack isn't cold soaked.

The 90 has 78 kWh of usable capacity.
P90D made in 1/16, delivered in 3/16. Battery 1056776-00-C. Mostly charge at home but some long road trips with supercharging, several to 100% because of the range. Now 50,500miles. Drove it down to 1% and charged up at home to 98% where charging plateaued at 2kW.
From the log:
Energy added 77.83 kWh (Avg 14.9kW)
Rated added 234 Miles
8F1337E7-5F34-46A1-A5BB-C22B300CA2B4.jpeg
From the car screen:
78kWh added. Rated 235mi, added 233mi. Ideal 291mi, added 289mi.
Just over 9% rated loss (235/257). That puts this car below the red line in the graph referenced above. I have cataloged the 90% in another thread and it does appear the range loss had already slowed. I would still expect the predicted 1.5% decline over the next 50k. Not happy with this range, especially since it is cold here half the year, especially with a long range 3 sitting next to it as a reminder. Elon once said an upgrade by over 15% would be worth it but didn’t let on that the difference between a “90” and a “100” was already more than that out of the gate. I would love to have a real “120” in this car for road trips.