Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X AP1 is more stable than AP2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MX got AP2 hardware on it, i feel like it always trying to kill me on the freeway when i use auto pilot. But when i got a loaner from SC that has AP1 hardware, i feel like it much better than my AP2. Is this true? Or there is something wrong with my car?

In my opinion, there is a trade off during this time: AP1 is smoother but AP2 is safer.
That’s been my experience too. AP2 has faster reaction time and will react quickly to momentary changes (either real changes or noise it perceives).

AP1 is like the car equivalent of the soap opera effect on Samsung TV’s — it will artificially smooth the world and paint a peachy picture so it can control your car smoothly, but it will happily do downright dangerous things “smoothly” too.

In terms of correctness (e.g. how frequently AP1 vs AP2 do genuinely dangerous things like departing your lane, getting too close to other cars), I’ve found it largely a wash the last 5000 miles I’ve driven on AP2 (I was a previous AP1 owner for 18,000 miles)

However, some people do have egregiously bad AP2 experiences that were due to camera alignment issues. If you have doubts, please do raise it with the service center.

Reactions: rush6410
That’s been my experience too. AP2 has faster reaction time and will react quickly to momentary changes (either real changes or noise it perceives).

AP1 is like the car equivalent of the soap opera effect on Samsung TV’s — it will artificially smooth the world and paint a peachy picture so it can control your car smoothly, but it will happily do downright dangerous things “smoothly” too.

In terms of correctness (e.g. how frequently AP1 vs AP2 do genuinely dangerous things like departing your lane, getting too close to other cars), I’ve found it largely a wash the last 5000 miles I’ve driven on AP2 (I was a previous AP1 owner for 18,000 miles)

However, some people do have egregiously bad AP2 experiences that were due to camera alignment issues. If you have doubts, please do raise it with the service center.
When did you last drive an AP1 car for this comparison? I don't mean to say it's a bad comparison, but as AP2 continues to improve, AP1 also received improvements. I think owners with both AP1 and AP2 cars currently can give a fair comparison.

Reactions: systemcrashed
When did you last drive an AP1 car for this comparison? I don't mean to say it's a bad comparison, but as AP2 continues to improve, AP1 also received improvements. I think owners with both AP1 and AP2 cars currently can give a fair comparison.
Around early June when I had a loaner. My ownership of AP1 ended in mid-March, after around 18,000 miles in 7 months.

I completely agree that both had continued to improve — I definitely felt that in the AP1 loaner I had. But “always trying to kill me” would not be how I characterize 8900 miles of AP2 driving I’ve done. Maybe the first 2000 miles, but certainly not since 17.17.x and beyond.

I suspect different people's experiences with any AP has to do with where they use it. I use my AP1 X on relatively perfect San Diego freeways at max. 80 mph, and it works flawlessly. Whereas others will be using their AP on a semi divided road with much sharper turns and dips, for example.

Ive had experience with both. 30K miles with AP1 and about 2K miles with AP2. AP2 is scary - no doubt about it. When it gets confused, you better have your hand close to the wheel ready to take over. Traveling in the HOV lane on the I-5 this weekend, it would violently attempt to throw the car into the barrier when it saw a shadow it didn't understand and mistook for a vehicle. As the lanes widen and contract, it gets really confused and started tracking left and right like a drunk person behind the wheel.

For the time being its more like a parlor trick than useful. it has moments of sobriety but don't let your guard down like you could in an AP1 car. You will be sorry. It will get better and exceed the capabilities of of AP1; however, for now, its a drunk baby that you should not trust at all.

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I've been reading most people's input regarding AP2, AP1, etc. Thanks for the assistance! I'm planning to order a new MX100 in Oct/Nov/Dec, but I'm going to skip out on the EAP. I'm never in highway bumper to bumper traffic and commute is mostly city streets.
And it seems if I have to hold the steering wheel keeping an ultra-vigilant eye on AP2, I may as well just drive the darn car myself. $5k price seems too steep for me to babysit the car.

Yeah, AP2 does not have the stability of AP1 yet. It just too unpredictable at this time, following tar-lines, hugging lane sides more often than AP1. And it ghost brakes on overpasses much, much more than AP1.

Not to mention of course the missing identification info, traffic sign reading and auto-wipers. But the biggest thing that AP2 is missing is the trust you can place on it.

It isn't just about following the road and keeping your hands on the wheel, with AP2 I find I have to be far more careful than when driving by myself.

Just yesterday I enabled AP2 again for a motorway drive and this time it started hugging the side of a lane so dangerously I had to give it up. That was a new one for me, maybe the latest update, but others had had that over several updates...

If you can, stick to AP1 still. AP2 will be better one day, but not this day.

There was a reason (or several) that two Apple engineers, working on that company's then autonomous driving vehicle were hired by TESLA at the beginning of this year... Look for AP3 hardware, etc.,hopefully by year end, across all models.

Thank you very much

FURY

I think they will go very far to try to make AP2 deliver on the promises. Or figure out less intrusive hardware to add to the AP2 suite. Launching AP3 is basically admitting that the AP2 suite was too bad for the features they promises, and thus having to pay back everyone who bought FSD.

Also introducing AP3 means they have to serve now three branches of AP code. Which will basically add another workload for their engineers.

If you were to remove both EAP and FSD alltogether, valued at 7000$ which is almost 10% of the car for many, one could argue that they wouldn't choose that car if they knew the feature never came. And that it's a significant function loss, that would let people return their cars.