Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As much as I love the design of the X and the S, I can't own either. My car parks underneath an automotive lift (to store a classic Ford). The S only fits in my garage if the charging port aligns with one of the lift poles, such that I couldn't plug-in. The X would smash the rear doors on the lift above. I guess I'll manage to survive with my roadster. :p

Falcon wing door opening and closing in the wild

Last time I checked it had regular doors in the front.

Look, sarcasm aside. I'm confident the falcon wing doors are not a safety issue in any kind of way - if you followed the launch of Model S you will know that one of Tesla's absolute top priorities is safety. This discussion is very likely completely moot.

Anything but a full score in US + Euro NCAP would be a direct failure. It would be I unfathomable for Tesla to not score a more or less perfect score. And I do believe being able to exit/get extracted from a flipped vehicle is one criterion (I haven't checked).

Last edited:
Trailed a mule (probably heading for the factory) off 101 onto 237-E for a stretch today; wife shot a video but, there isn't anything new to report (more duct tape!) so, posting a couple of stills:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443300983.245577.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443300993.062580.jpg

Road presence was great; I could spot it from literally a mile away and caught up with it. Caught a glimpse of the front in my rear view: still camoed headlights and nose cone.

Last time I checked it had regular doors in the front.

Look, sarcasm aside. I'm confident the falcon wing doors are not a safety issue in any kind of way - if you followed the launch of Model S you will know that one of Tesla's absolute top priorities is safety. This discussion is very likely completely moot.

Anything but a full score in US + Euro NCAP would be a direct failure. It would be I unfathomable for Tesla to not score a more or less perfect score. And I do believe being able to exit/get extracted from a flipped vehicle is one criterion (I haven't checked).

Tesla wouldn't have scored full rating in NCAP without AP hardware. (The driver aids are required elements) I think this is why the brought forward the hardware in the S, even though the AutoPilot obviously wasn't ready.

(Sorry OT)

Trailed a mule (probably heading for the factory) off 101 onto 237-E for a stretch today; wife shot a video but, there isn't anything new to report (more duct tape!) so, posting a couple of stills:

Road presence was great; I could spot it from literally a mile away and caught up with it. Caught a glimpse of the front in my rear view: still camoed headlights and nose cone.

Is this the first one we've seen that has been badged (with the blue tape covering the badging)?

Most importantly, the falcon wing doors appear to be closed completely! No raised edges at the back.

Most importantly, the falcon wing doors appear to be closed completely! No raised edges at the back.

I just noticed: many of the mules that showed this raised edge/ridge/gap at the back of the falcon door also had body-colored (often white) camo on the rear glass and on the top of the falcon door. It seems like this one, and likely production versions, has either black or glass surfaces from the windshield wipers all the way to the spoiler.

While some of the past mules definitely had flawed or partly opened doors, the body-color camo visually accentuated the gap.

This one looks well aligned...and it also seems like the black/glass surfaces would help hide any small gap (although, again, I'm not seeing a gap on this one).