Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X price cuts- yet again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only vehicles I would cross shop with the MX is the X7 and the new base Range Rover. The X7 is most likely much more reliable compared to the Range Rover and more of a drivers suv, so I’d lean that direction. I’m just holding off until I see the MX is getting any real updates this fall as I’d still prefer it overall.
Wouldn't a better comparison be with the BMW iX? While it can't match the MXP's brutal acceleration, I was impressed with its high-quality interior and excellent handling. I just can't get past its looks and that grille!

Wouldn't a better comparison be with the BMW iX? While it can't match the MXP's brutal acceleration, I was impressed with its high-quality interior and excellent handling. I just can't get past its looks and that grille!
I suppose so, but I also can’t get past the ugly exterior either and the worst cup holder location I’ve ever seen in modern vehicle. I wish the MX interior was higher quality like the ix.

Of things that actually exist and are for sale, if you want carlike handling with Model X size/capability but not a Model X, the only other games in town is the EQS SUV and iX right now IMO, and the iX is out if you want more than 5 passengers. If 5 seats is not an issue, the upcoming Q8 Etron will probably a pretty awesome with its next-generation powertrain/pack, and then everything else is sortof an unknown. I doubt the Kia/Hyundai 7 seater will be offering the kind of performance/practicality in one package the Germans and the Tesla offers. And I don't think Polestar will have anything as big as X anytime soon. Lucid Gravity is years away.

The Rivian drives like the truck-based SUV it is, even if it's a really fast truck, and the X7 and GLS and Range Rover also feel like they're on stilts compared to Model X (and of course, Model X's trades away a lot of ride height for that feeling/dynamic capability, which means you aren't seated very high in Model X compared to the other premium 7-passenger stuff either). But if you want ride height, the R1S is pretty awesome.

If carlike/bloated Model S-like handling doesn't matter much to you, tons of options - it was a big selling point for me, I don't need or want to be up higher or need the ground clearance I have a pickup for that

I think Model X offers a pretty awesome and unique niche car experience (carlike dynamics, electric drive, weird/interesting body design/legit 7-passenger utility, all in a package that's less than 200" long), but the number of people who appreciate it enough to stick with it... I dunno how numerous they are. Usually if I think a car is cool it also means it's a niche weirdo's car that only sold a few thousand copies

Last edited:
I suppose so, but I also can’t get past the ugly exterior either and the worst cup holder location I’ve ever seen in modern vehicle. I wish the MX interior was higher quality like the ix.

What I can't get past, is the BMW dealer. I'm sure there must be honest ones out there, I have just never run into one. For all Tesla's Musk inspired problems, you usually get what they say you're going to get when you deal with them. Lesser of two evils I suppose.

Well, I prefer automatic mechanical watches over digital watches. I have an iwatch for certain activities as I would have an Ev for certain activities, such as around town and trips under 4hrs. However, I love the sound of an engine and I get to my long road trip destination much quicker. Sitting at a charger and worry about which one to plug into is not enjoyable to me. The X7 and Range Rover are not like going back in time. Until an EV can travel 400mi. at 80mph and provide massaging seats with the lovely smell of semi-aline or merino leather seats, I’ll be happy to stay in the “past”. Lol! I am not all or nothing vehicle owner. I like having choices in my garage.

With a Tesla you won't worry about charging, sounds like you haven't yet experienced a Tesla as your daily driver if you say things like this and "rover not like going back in time."

A good massage you get only in chinese cars.

;) High-end cars don't have authentic engine sounds nowdays anymore due to high quality noise cancellation and soundproofing.

You can play your favourite engine noise from a mp3 in any car ;) Also if you can afford it, you can add an exhaust to EV too, no problemo.

And merino leather seats, if you aren't a cheapskate, consider it done too, with the added benefit that your car will look unique.

I wouldn't buy anything Apple tho unless they come up with augmented "head up display" glasses which works without baiting into their ecosystem ;)

Sounds like you want the iX with X charging network ;) The ranges are almost the same, prices a bit lower.
I have no plans of getting rid of my Land Cruiser as it does things that an EV cannot. I am absolutely adding an EV to my garage and most likely it will be a Tesla. I really enjoyed test driving the MX a couple of times. What I didn’t like was the lack of front bumper camera and traditional blind spot monitoring for faster lane changing. Taking my eyes off the road to look at a center screen is not ideal. The MX has a few blind spots and lacking rear cross traffic warning is disappointing for a high tech car. Really hoping these things will be added in the next few months, then I’ll order one. I have a HummerEV being delivered “fall 2024” but may only keep it a couple months and then sell it. I just saw one at my kids school yesterday and thought the Junior was bringing his Dads new EV to school to show off. Nope, it’s his 🤪 Now, it doesn’t feel as special. Lol

• Funny
Reactions: Tiger
I have no plans of getting rid of my Land Cruiser as it does things that an EV cannot. I am absolutely adding an EV to my garage and most likely it will be a Tesla. I really enjoyed test driving the MX a couple of times. What I didn’t like was the lack of front bumper camera and traditional blind spot monitoring for faster lane changing. Taking my eyes off the road to look at a center screen is not ideal. The MX has a few blind spots and lacking rear cross traffic warning is disappointing for a high tech car. Really hoping these things will be added in the next few months, then I’ll order one. I have a HummerEV being delivered “fall 2024” but may only keep it a couple months and then sell it. I just saw one at my kids school yesterday and thought the Junior was bringing his Dads new EV to school to show off. Nope, it’s his 🤪 Now, it doesn’t feel as special. Lol

CT might be perfect for you, supposedly it has also the front camera, and it can also double as your cruiser. The range should be sufficient too and price point is told to be reasonable.

The only reason I take my eyes off the road to touch the center screen, is to chat on skype and read TMC, I too wish it was on the dash in front of the steering wheel. /s

The Tesla backup camera has so wide angle that I have never felt the need for cross traffic warning, you just see everything like a goldfish.

😆 That kid got game.

I found the car visualizations on the driver binnacle sufficient to check for cars in the blind spot (when driving a loaner). Did this not work for you? It may be because I have owned a Model S with AP1, which shows forward vehicle representations in the same spot, so perhaps I'm used to looking there.

I also have my mirrors way out, so that I see the cars more easily via the mirrors. Habit for many years.

I found the car visualizations on the driver binnacle sufficient to check for cars in the blind spot (when driving a loaner). Did this not work for you? It may be because I have owned a Model S with AP1, which shows forward vehicle representations in the same spot, so perhaps I'm used to looking there.

I also have my mirrors way out, so that I see the cars more easily via the mirrors. Habit for many years.
I’ll have to test drive it again and this time try my typical parking and pay more attention to the mirror locations.

Reactions: henderrj
Reactions: E90alex
That’s nice but after reading the article, it’s only for FSD users currently. Not sure why they can’t just give it to all Teslas without FSD if they really want to make Teslas safer for all.
As a current fsd user, this comment is ironic considering all the other features that non-fsd cars have had for months that I don’t.

This same uneven pattern of new sw feature rollouts has been repeating for a few years now.

As a current fsd user, this comment is ironic considering all the other features that non-fsd cars have had for months that I don’t.

This same uneven pattern of new sw feature rollouts has been repeating for a few years now.
I wasn’t aware FSD owners are missing out on certain features that non-FSD owners have. Please elaborate as I’m not a Tesla owner yet. Just trying to piece all the benefits together before laying down $100k on an EV

I get that the features lacking in the X are an issue. It's actually absurd they took away USS while not having an alternative to replace it ready to go. Aside from that stupid decision, it's still a nice car.

However, there are times cars that lack features compared to competitors are still more popular. One recent example is the last generation Toyota Highlander. It was missing a few big features that its cheaper competitors had, but it was still one of the (of not THE) best selling SUVs in its class. That's because it fit a reliability and utility niche. I know, cause I owned one, and I loved it for the 130k miles I put on it. I would be lying if I didn't wish it had better audio, better power, and more features that other cars in its class had. It still was a nice car though, albeit a bit overpriced for what it was.

The X is in its own niche with little competition. It's a luxury EV SUV with some tech bells and whistles. It's a status symbol on top of a utility EV. The Y is considered luxury, but it lacks the upscale interior and features the X has. That's why it's priced that way.

• Love
Reactions: maytaurustiger
I wasn’t aware FSD owners are missing out on certain features that non-FSD owners have. Please elaborate as I’m not a Tesla owner yet. Just trying to piece all the benefits together before laying down $100k on an EV
I currently drive a Y but previously owned an X and also M3, all with fsd. There are two different software branches that are rumored to hopefully be merging with the next update. Currently, the non fsd branch has certain convenience features that the fsd sw branch doesn’t, such as greater control with the left scroll wheel, auto steering wheel heat, and probably other features that I’m not aware of cause I don’t have them. It is weird that they’ve rolled it out this way but I assume there are reasons.

If you’re on the fence with Tesla, despite some of the quirks like the above mentioned, it’s still the best option imo (at least among Ev’s) While there is finally some legitimate competition , from what I’ve seen, the others generally cost more for similar or even inferior performance, are less efficient, sold through stealerships, and/or have inferior charging infrastructure. If you’ve got the funds or just choose to subscribe, fsd has gotten more useful lately, despite its quirks. You obviously can’t get fsd with any other brand.

Also, despite what you might hear, if you have a service center near you, service has gotten way more streamlined over time and is way more user-friendly than anything you’d find at a dealership in my experience.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: GoVols!