Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model X Reset Techniques

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Though the information you have provided is valuable, I would expect recalibration to be an exact science and not quackery. These are engineered products that are built using well established principles of engineering design and manufacturing and thus there has to be a particular method to recalibrate. I can understand if the information has not been adequately published by the designers and not all service reps have been trained ...and so everyone is finding their own ways to make it work.
Wow...I work in digital test of IC’s. I’m actually in China at the moment. Have you ever seen the tire swing “what the customer wanted” image. I find that often designers are not available in the field to appreciate the fruits of their labor. So my guess is the recalibrate isn’t 100% reliable, and the alternative techniques work because the recalibration engineer is busy designing semi truck windows now and doesn’t have time to look into the problem.

I tried all of the techniques to calibrate my passenger window that would not fully roll up and when shut would open outside of the trim. I finally called Tesla Service and they had me reset the main screen. I told them that I did not think that was the issue, but sure enough, the window started functioning properly again.

I tried all of the techniques to calibrate my passenger window that would not fully roll up and when shut would open outside of the trim. I finally called Tesla Service and they had me reset the main screen. I told them that I did not think that was the issue, but sure enough, the window started functioning properly again.
I do main screen resets after each software update, and the FWD window bug prevails, but can be closed with multiple attempts. So mine just needs service work next time I go.

Hi All,

An update with history:
My car X-100D manufactured 3/18 delivered with 2018.10.2 with the New MCU

2018.10.2 would not scroll wheel reboot
2018.10.6 would not scroll wheel reboot

Updated to 2018.12 last night

2018.12 SCROLL WHEEL REBOOTS AS REQUESTED !!!

Shawn

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Hi All,

An update with history:
My car X-100D manufactured 3/18 delivered with 2018.10.2 with the New MCU

2018.10.2 would not scroll wheel reboot
2018.10.6 would not scroll wheel reboot

Updated to 2018.12 last night

2018.12 SCROLL WHEEL REBOOTS AS REQUESTED !!!

Shawn

I'm on 2018.12 and my scroll wheel reboot is not working. Delivered early april with new MCU.

Thank you for this post! Tesla Roadside Assistance had me perform the 'Vehicle Stuck in Park' just yesterday with my 2 week old X which was stuck at a stop light in 2 lanes of traffic. Am now doing some digging through various message boards and it looks like this is a bug that's out there that can occur in potentially various ways.

I’ve had for the second time now that the backrest of my Model X driver seat seemed off of the saved seat positions. Like it would be more rested to the back instead of how I’d saved it, causing me to put the seat rest back up. This would go on for a while, every time putting the seat rest up a bit and saving the new location in my profiles.

I’ve found out that if this is the case, one time moving the seat rest completely forward will reset the seat rest location, and your saved profile is corrected again.

• Informative
Reactions: Refie and ohmman
Just picked up my new model X last week. Last night while leaving my house my large display started looping with 2-3 seconds in between: black screen, tesla logo screen, home screen. Tried rebooting it several times with no luck. Car runs fine, just cant use any options on the large screen and a/c will cut off when it blanks out. Anyone experiencing this issue? it does this everytime I step into the car and doesnt stop. Tried calling tesla and they had me reboot with no luck and now asking me to bring the car in but looks like the tesla service center near me is booked out til end of the month which really sucks.

Attachments

• Tesla blank screen.PNG
    Tesla blank screen.PNG
    858.1 KB · Views: 150
  • Tesla T logo screen.PNG
    Tesla T logo screen.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 134
  • Tesla Main Screen.PNG
    Tesla Main Screen.PNG
    2 MB · Views: 131
Most Service Centers hold back capacity for emergency fixes affecting your ability to drive or control the car (which your problem certainly qualifies). If nothing else you should drop it off for a loaner until they can fix it. It actually sounds dangerous to drive to me. I am surprised they didn't ask you to bring it in immediately. I would certainly not be driving mine if that happened to me (and I typically put up with a lot of idiosyncrasies).

does the front window calibration stop the window from closing too far? Right now it's closing so far that there's a gap that will let rain in and is very noisy when driving.

Yes, re-calibrating the Window Regulator sets the up location. Roll the window all the way down. Close the door, press and hold the up button when the window reaches the full up limit, hold for 10 seconds. That should set the up limit. NOTE: If you previously rolled the window down slightly when the door is open, in this case it will not return to full up position, since it was manually set. Simple try to roll the window up normally with the door closed (not re-calibration). If it returns to normal calibration is not needed.

Methods for resetting various features in the Model X:

Center Display
Press and hold both scroll buttons for a few seconds. Center console display will turn black and reboot.​
Instrument Cluster
Press and hold both of the steering wheel buttons above the scroll wheels. IC display will turn black and reboot.​
Reset of 'most' systems (4 fingers) ~~
Put/keep foot on brake. Press and hold both scroll buttons *and* steering wheel buttons above the scroll wheels. Keep foot on brake until CD and IC display are non-blank.​
Reset of 'all' systems
Under Settings, E-Brake and Power Off. Power vehicle off, then use the brake to restart.​

Front Door Calibration

From inside the vehicle, do a scroll wheel (touchscreen) reset.
Open the door from inside (the manual handle will always release the door).
Manually push the door to the full open position, then slowly and deliberately push the door manually closed so that it will latch. Close it slow enough that it takes about 5 to 10 seconds. If the latch pulls the door in, all is working okay.
Front Door Windows Calibration
Method 1
With the door closed, roll the window all the way down with a "soft click" (not the full down click). Hold the window down for at least 5 seconds after it is fully closed.
Roll the window back up with a soft click (not full up) and hold the window all the way up for at least 5 seconds.

Method 2 (Newer)
Open door.
Roll window down.
Auto-roll window up (pull up fully on the switch and release so it rolls itself up without you holding the switch).
When window is about half way open, give it a firm smack downwards from above. This simulates something getting stuck in the window and it will roll down to prevent injury.
Repeat this process until the window will no longer auto roll up. This can take 10-15 repetitions.
Close and open the door to verify
Falcon Wing Door Calibration
Take the vehicle outdoors where there’s nothing in range of the FWD (and probably no overhead cache - that is, the display allows you to fully open the doors on one touch.) Hold the physical door switch inside the vehicle until door is all the way open. Next, hold the physical door switch down until the door is all the way closed. The door should be recalibrated at this point.

Falcon Wing Door Complete Reset:
Remove access panel in funk area (no tool required)
Disconnect emergency services power loop located under the orange sticker that should be above your funk space.
Get a stubby 13mm socket and disconnect ground strap (black wire bolted to chassis under the area of the Emergency Services loop.) Wait 20 Seconds. Reconnect it.
Plug the loop back in.
Center screen will suggest you need to recalibrate the doors.
This reset is needed when no button pushes or holds work and the door is completely non-responsive.

Vehicle Stuck in Park
Have all passengers exit Model X for 2 minutes with doors closed. Re-enter vehicle. Use Power Off/Reset Technique above. Wait 2 minutes, start vehicle again.
Active Spoiler Stuck Down
Put vehicle in park. Go to Settings, Service & Reset, Spoiler and set it to Extended. This will raise the spoiler up. Perform center display reset technique from above. Spoiler will remain up and fully extend as part of reset.
~~ steering wheel reset graphics - How to reboot your Tesla if something is going wrong
Any idea for resetting AC?

Any idea for resetting AC?
Can you be more vague in your question? What aspect? What lead up to the problem (which you are vague about)? Did you 'Power Off' + 2 minutes like the vehicle stuck in park as one of the 'major' resets.

I had an issue at Supercharger in Charlotte NC when it was like 100F and I was supercharging. I tried to turn the A/C on when we were going to the car. It was stuck off. Nothing worked except later after driving and sweating I had done some above resets without success ... then I used the Android app again to toggle the A/C off/on again and it started working.

Both scroll wheels and associated steering wheel buttons just stopped working on my 2018 X75D. That's fewer reset options for me...

Am I correct assuming that the "Power Off" option has been replaced with "Factory Reset"?

Is that what I should try?

@UncaNed Try Safety and Security from the menu. Close all doors and do not press any pedals. Press "Power Off" and confirm Power Off. The screens will all go off. Wait for the cooling fans to stop and all interior lights to go off. Pressing the brake pedal will restart the screens.
What is the issue your are trying to resolve?