Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Signature Configuration has begun!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's fair, although I think it is half engineering and half logistics/supply chain nightmare.

Designing the vehicle I think is the easy part. The hard part is scaling production a full order of magnitude higher than what Tesla is building now (from 10s of k's/year to 100's of k's/year), and also scaling service & support to the higher level as well. This is a massive level up.

Tesla :: Apple
Elon Musk :: Steve Jobs
Franz von Holhausen :: Jony Ive
??? :: Tim Cook

Who's running logistics and supply chain at Tesla?

Good question anticitizen!
. This is what worries me .....

Is there a "tracking orders and deliveries thread" yet for model X?

- rhetorical question bc i dont see one. Can we create one?

Paul Carter did something a little better and created a site for all Model X tracking as discussed in this thread:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/52808-Tracking-and-reporting-of-reservations-orders-and-deliveries

You can register and input your information and see all the other registered Model X Reservations. The site can be reached at: https://ModelXTracker.com

EDIT: You just beat me to it

That's fair, although I think it is half engineering and half logistics/supply chain nightmare.

Designing the vehicle I think is the easy part. The hard part is scaling production a full order of magnitude higher than what Tesla is building now (from 10s of k's/year to 100's of k's/year), and also scaling service & support to the higher level as well. This is a massive level up.

Peter Carlsson: Executive Bios | Tesla Motors

Elon Musk :: Tim Cook (Steve Jobs is dead, IMHO Tim Cook is less talented than Steve Jobs and Elon Musk in many ways.)
Franz von Holhausen :: Jony Ivy (most successful and revolution iOS versions are v4-6 and leads Andriod, v7 and later by John Ivy, are actually following Andriod, some functions are actually playing catch up, even the ugly flat user interface and icons were copied from Android.)

Tim Cook & Jony Ivy's success is more given by Steve Jobs, less earned by themselves.

Last edited:
Is the actual price $35,000 for the Model 3 or is that $35,000 after the Federal tax credit? All Elon says is "$35k price, unveil in March, preorders start then."

So what will the Sig deposit be if the car base price is only $35k? Still $40,000 because the loaded price will be more like $60,000?

As to purchasing TSLA at the time of putting down the MX Sig deposit, I had bought 1,000 shares of TSLA about 2 1/2 years ago and because of the gains from that investment I finally pulled the trigger on a MX sig reservation about a year and a half ago just before it closed out the signature.

Mark
Model X Signature #1096
According to Elon, that will be the price before any tax credits.

Kudos on the TSLA purchase!

Are you referring to the Design Studio? If so, can you please post pictures as most of us don't have access to design studio yet.
Bjørn processed my stills into a video. Enjoy a look into the Design Studio: Model X configurator open for Signature customers - YouTube

Keep in mind that the early version of the Design Studio for Model X showed the white seats as leather. That has been changed. Ultra White Seats are synthetic.

Elon Musk :: Tim Cook (Steve Jobs is dead, IMHO Tim Cook is less talented than Steve Jobs and Elon Musk in many ways.)
Franz von Holhausen :: Jony Ivy (most successful and revolution iOS versions are v4-6 and leads Andriod, v7 and later by John Ivy, are actually following Andriod, some functions are actually playing catch up, even the ugly flat user interface and icons were copied from Android.)

Tim Cook & Jony Ivy's success is more given by Steve Jobs, less earned by themselves.

I would argue Tim Cook's logistical genius, while not exciting, is one core element of Apple's resurgence and was not a strength of Jobs.

The Cold Weather pkg may be removed, if it really will cause a delay. Someone is checking into that before I have to finalize...
Bonnie: I have some encouraging news that the Design Studio no longer shows a delay for the Subzero Weather Package. Those of us who plan winter driving really appreciate your concern that may have made the difference. Tesla called today and wanted feedback on the importance of Subzero for my order. I told them to check what seat colors were available with the heated seats. If the Design Studio is accurate, hopefully the possible delay shown originally is not an issue anymore.

anyone hear whether heated steering wheel is available?
Image: http://i.imgur.com/TlePl8Z.png
TlePl8Z.png

Is the actual price $35,000 for the Model 3 or is that $35,000 after the Federal tax credit? All Elon says is "$35k price, unveil in March, preorders start then."

I would guess that what he quotes is without the tax incentives since most likely those incentives will run out quickly with mass production.

As to whether he is including gas savings, etc, that would also be a bad 'talking point'.

I would guess that what he quotes is without the tax incentives since most likely those incentives will run out quickly with mass production.

As to whether he is including gas savings, etc, that would also be a bad 'talking point'.

I'm guessing in the first few thousand or so.

I'm going to quote myself from another thread. I find your responses about it "running out" misleading.

replying to someone complaining that the federal tax credit will expire before Model 3 ships. In the process of replying to him I did a lot of math and I figured it'd be good to leave the running total math in this thread.

US running total Tesla Sales vs 200,000 for federal credit phase out trigger
2011 end 1,900
2012 end 4,550 (2,650 for 2012 + prior year)
2013 end 22,200 (14,650 for 2013 + prior years)
2014 end 39,500 (17,300 for 2014 + prior years)

2015 May 48,300 (8,800 for 2015 + prior years

The current rate has them selling more than 20,000 in the US for 2015. Ramping up Model X and production in general might trigger the 200,000 mark in 2018? I figure it'll be a Model 3 that is the 200,000th sold in the US (or at least Model 3 sales will be under the 200,000 mark and contribute to the total).

The phase-out period stretches over one year, beginning in the second calendar quarter after the quarter in which the manufacturer hits the 200,000 vehicle US sales mark. From there, all qualifying vehicles sold by the manufacturer are eligible for 50% of their specified credit for the first two quarters and 25% of the credit for the next two quarters.

For example if a manufacturer sells its 200,000th vehicle in the first quarter (Q1) of 2018, the credit amounts for all of that manufacturer's eligible vehicles would phase out as shown in the table below.

Tax Credit Phase-Out Schedule Quarter Credit
Q1 2018 Full amount
Q2 2018 Full amount
Q3 2018 50% of full amount
Q4 2018 50% of full amount
Q1 2019 25% of full amount
Q2 2019 25% of full amount
Q3 2019 No credit

It's really way too far out to worry about but people seem to get worked up about it and this is the thread were we watch the monthly numbers so I figured I'd leave my math here.

since it's been a few months I'll update the sales numbers

US running total Tesla Sales vs 200,000 for federal credit phase out trigger
2011 end 1,900
2012 end 4,550 (2,650 for 2012 + prior year)
2013 end 22,200 (14,650 for 2013 + prior years)
2014 end 39,500 (17,300 for 2014 + prior years)

2015 Aug 54,000 (14,500 for 2015 + prior years)

The current rate has them selling more than 20,000 in the US for 2015. Ramping up Model X and production in general might trigger the 200,000 mark in 2018? I figure it'll be a Model 3 that is the 200,000th sold in the US (or at least Model 3 sales will be under the 200,000 mark and contribute to the total).

The phase-out period stretches over one year, beginning in the second calendar quarter after the quarter in which the manufacturer hits the 200,000 vehicle US sales mark. From there, all qualifying vehicles sold by the manufacturer are eligible for 50% of their specified credit for the first two quarters and 25% of the credit for the next two quarters.

For example if a manufacturer sells its 200,000th vehicle in the first quarter (Q1) of 2018, the credit amounts for all of that manufacturer's eligible vehicles would phase out as shown in the table below.

Tax Credit Phase-Out Schedule Quarter Credit
Q1 2018 Full amount
Q2 2018 Full amount
Q3 2018 50% of full amount
Q4 2018 50% of full amount
Q1 2019 25% of full amount
Q2 2019 25% of full amount
Q3 2019 No credit

It's entirely possible that it will trigger sooner and run out sooner but the important concept is that it doesn't go away immediately and when it starts going away it diminishes slowly not all at once.

If Tesla is pumping out 10,000 plus a month in 2018 they could easily sell 50,000 or more with the full tax credit. They could then be selling double that amount in the next 6 months with half tax credit. And then double rate again with 1/4 tax credit. All in all hundreds of thousands of Model 3s could be sold with federal tax credit.

Keep in mind Tesla can game this slightly by focusing on overseas deliveries of Model S and Model X the month they are going to roll over 200,000 US deliveries. If that rolls them into the next quarter it extends the tax credit by 3 months no matter how many they sell after that.

Last edited: