Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sucks for everyone pushing back their order in hope's of getting a 4680 Texas Model Y, only to find out it has less range, acceleration, and nearly cost the same.

From a production standpoint the 4680 Model Y saves Tesla cost, but unfortunately it minimally gets passed onto the consumer.
It will suck for us as soon as they come out of hold and we get pushed once again :(

Sucks for everyone pushing back their order in hope's of getting a 4680 Texas Model Y, only to find out it has less range, acceleration, and nearly cost the same.

From a production standpoint the 4680 Model Y saves Tesla cost, but unfortunately it minimally gets passed onto the consumer.
Too many playing games with ordering. It sucks and this thread is insane how people will argue about so much. Just buy what you want and stop worrying about others opinions

Too many playing games with ordering. It sucks and this thread is insane how people will argue about so much. Just buy what you want and stop worrying about others opinions
If it makes you feel any better, I had a VIN that got delayed shipping at the end of quarter. They offered me the next VIN or a 30 day hold, I said hold so I could wait 7 days for Austin news. Took it off on the 7th, and my EDD has been sitting at June ever since. =(

If Tesla sold 50,000 model Y,s in first quarter USA then they would need 50 million 4680 batteries. As of Feb let's say they 1 million they then need about 8 million per month can't see how they will do that in time to fill March onward orders or New Std. LR and MYP. 2170 will be a big part of their plan probably for at least 12 months. Shame as I was one of the hopeful 4680 fans . Got strategy completely wrong , did not pay and then go for hold instead waited till mid March and got hit by ALL the MYP price increases. grrrrrrrrr.

So stock piling SR since about mid February gives them around 10k to inventory. Slowly ramping up more and more each week, not counting the week of the 7th when production was shut down, should keep them ahead of the standard 3-6 month lead time I would think.

I would have rather had them make a LR+ with a 400 range.
They aren’t going to make a 400 mile range MY. They would have trouble selling Model X if the Y has a longer range. Look at the 3 and S. Stop wishing for something that won’t happen. Also look at the wording of the Tesla memo.

”We‘ve chosen to put a lower energy battery pack…”

They don’t say why. Whether it’s due to engineering or strictly cost cutting or lack of production, who knows. But based on this I think it is perfectly safe to conclude that the weight information in the EPA docs and the battery packs on display at the Rodeo are accurate. 828 4680 cells for 69kwh. 83wh/cell. In early 2019 Jack Rickard had the 2170 cells at 17.3wh/cell. 5x this from battery day would be 86.5wh/cell so 4680 is slightly below that prediction. At 4.8x it loois like Tesla decided to round up to 5 instead of down to 4.5 (>4.5 would have been better) leading to higher expectations.

Again, look at the weight of the 4680 car. Based on Jack’s data, 160wh/kg energy density at the pack level on those LR M3 packs. That puts those packs at around 475kg. And 4416 2170 cells at 70grams each is 309kg so 166kg of other weight. Hopefully they were able to reduce this other weight since the cells are a structural component but maybe making them structural meant they needed thicker cell walls which has led to more weight.

Here are some theoretical calculations. Please reread that before making any comments. Based on the above data, cells are 2/3 of the total weight. Adding 16% more cells (828 to 960) would add 16% cell weight. 16% of 2/3 is 10.6% additional pack weight. Based on the original 2170 packs, that’s around 95# additional weight. Until we can weigh a production 4680 cell, we won’t know for but for conversation sake, this would put an 80kwh 4680 MY about 50# heavier than a 2170 MY. Which is why Tesla is telling their employees to guide people to LR/P 2170 from Fremont if they want the best performance and range.

So stock piling SR since about mid February gives them around 10k to inventory. Slowly ramping up more and more each week, not counting the week of the 7th when production was shut down, should keep them ahead of the standard 3-6 month lead time I would think.
You have them producing over 150 per day? That’s average. If you factor ramping then you suggest they are over 300 per day now? I don’t think we’ve seen vehicles outside multiplying to confirm this. And those at the rodeo would have seen thousands of vehicles inside confit,ing this as well. And they are selling to emplyees and internal divisions now so they aren’t stockpiling.

My MY hasn't arrived yet but I'm as happy as a clam just getting the new lithium-ion 12 volt battery. Perhaps less of a chance being stranded.
I wouldn't mind seeing Tesla constantly improving cabin noise with better insulation and sound deadening material.
Not having received my Tesla yet I don't feel very qualified but it sounds like they need a better method for making changes to the User Interface. Someone that is responsible for the finished product after every download. Seems like a no-brainer.

Thanks. We add like 10 pages an hour, hard to keep up.
There were 15 posts in the 3 hours between your post and the memo, less than a page. And if you don’t want it to keep getting longer, you might spend 10 minutes skimming a few pages so you wont need to add needless posts. I understand the frustration of a thread getting needlessly long but there are things that can be done to prevent that.