Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my blue June 2020 build paint-corrected, full front PPF and full OptiCoat Pro ceramic coated when new. I've hand washed many times over the past almost 2 years, 21K miles and two salty winters, and have not experienced the same paint swirling issues. I use a microfiber covered sponge to wash, and terry towels to dry. Maybe your microfiber towels are too aggressive? Or the paint on your build was softer than mine?

Paint softness has nothing to do with swirl marks which would not extend past the clear coat.

Cars being built, loaded onto trailers and no one has video of them at the factory? Only drone shot is of the truck already on the road? They must be staging these somewhere before loading. And someone should follow the next truck and find out where it is going.
It’s also strange there’s been no announcement that the first MYs are being shipping to customers.

Since we are all speculating here are my 2 cents. If the new Austin made Model Y's with 4680 cells had significant range or performance improvements I would think Tesla would show that already on their order page either as a new model or upgraded specs of one of the current models and since they haven't done that I have a feeling that those new cars will be very similar in their specs to current Fremont models (including curb weight/range or performance). As far as delaying your current orders to get the new battery packs while I agree new battery cells might provide noticeable improvements over current ones as with any new technology early production might show up with some issues so I personally would almost prefer to get a Fremont build car.
However if new Austin build cars have significant improvements and Tesla will deliver those randomly to existing reservation holders I'm sure that would anger a lot of people that are waiting on their cars and while that is certainly possible I doubt they would actually do that. Therefore my money is on these cars having very similar specs (within 10 mile of range or 50lb of weight) to the current Fremont cars and no big benefit other than bragging rights of choosing one over the other.

Someone in the Austin VIN thread posted that they talked to a SA who said Austin VINs we’re en route and have been assigned to customers delivering through their delivery center (somewhere in the Carolinas I think).
That was me. Typically I assume many in these forums know more than your local SA, however she seemed fairly confident.

Given that I was trying to figure out how to release our freemont VIN (already on hold twice, so system will auto cancel if we don't take delivery) it wouldn't make sense for her to share Austin VINs are on the way unless true.

Located in Raleigh, NC.

My bet is gigatexas is doing production runs of MYLRs as well at MYPs. It will be interesting to see any of the locals in Austin (such as Jeff or Joe - drone operators) happen to be on-site over the next week or two and get pics or videos when more car carriers are being loaded up and rolling away from the factory.

Can someone remind me why certain people have said that Austin will be doing EITHER the MYP or MYLR? Is there any reason to expect that they won’t be producing both iterations from the start?
My guess is 4680 production yields.

They can only make so many right now. I believe someone said Fremont has 1Million 4680 cells ready to ship to Austin.. which would only produce about 1000 Model Y units.. as each car requires about 1000 of those cells in the battery pack.

Can someone remind me why certain people have said that Austin will be doing EITHER the MYP or MYLR? Is there any reason to expect that they won’t be producing both iterations from the start?
Initially it was because the only cars we saw were the LR and most new tesla plants only produced 1 version of the car at the start of production. Now that we have seen both it looks like there will be both but until se see vins for both who knows.

We have now seeen the LR outside, the car carrier with MYP and tonight the 20+ MYLR parked inside the plant ....

It's meaningless to guess at this point. There are no reasons to install more expensive 21" wheels if these cars are made for internal use only.
If they needed to test production MYP then there is a reason. They need to be tested as sold. First batch was LR, this last batch is P. Now it looks like more LR inside but wow, 20? So if we attribute the MYPs in the truck, we are up to 36 vehicles produced at Austin? In 2+ weeks? That’s like 2.5 per day. 👏🏻

It has taken Kato Rd 6+ months to produce 1000 packs. 166/month or 5.5/day. Looks like Austin isn’t cell constrained (yet)…

If they needed to test production MYP then there is a reason. They need to be tested as sold. First batch was LR, this last batch is P. Now it looks like more LR inside but wow, 20? So if we attribute the MYPs in the truck, we are up to 36 vehicles produced at Austin? In 2+ weeks? That’s like 2.5 per day. 👏🏻

It has taken Kato Rd 6+ months to produce 1000 packs. 166/month or 5.5/day. Looks like Austin isn’t cell constrained (yet)…
Keep that Logic to yourself !!! There are going to be some Epic Meltdowns 😱 over the next couple months and I don't want you ruining it with common sense... 🤣