Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New here …interested in why everyone wants a 4680 battery pack?
I took delivery last weekend on a MYP because the 4680 are coming soon.
I’ve watched a few Tesla battery day videos and see that the 3 and Y cars are getting a major redesign.

I wanted my car to just work …can always upgrade after the months or a year of teething issues from a new redesign get worked out.
Maybe I’m too cautious?

There is speculation that the new pack (and associated structural changes to the car itself) could mean:

1: Less Weight
2: Longer pack life
3: Longer range
4: faster charging
5: more power

General consensus around here is that the above will be minor if they happen at all, while the big win is the new pack has ~4x fewer (larger) cells and will be far cheaper to make and assemble for Tesla which is THE main reason for it. Other stuff is side-effects.

The packs are not interchangable, so you'd need a new car to move from 2170 to 4680

Reactions: Gt1948
You’ve been waiting over 2 years for a GT3? That’s crazy!
I was considering selling my NA1 NSX to possibly upgrade to a GT3 this market is crazy to buy even used.
Sorry for the off topic. The dealers really have no incentive to sell one to me at sticker price when they have waiting lists with dozens of people willing to pay 30-100k+ over MSRP. I have no history of buying P-cars that a lot of the MSRP dealers look for. Take a look at autotrader, cheapest used one is going for 150k over MRSP

Actually, for the same kwh in the car, there is "extra space". The 4680s are more energy dense than the 2170s (see battery day slides), furthermore they wick heat out from their top and bottom, instead of requiring all the cooling "channels/blades" that the 2170s have between cells. With those channels not needing to be run between the cells, the cells can be packed in tighter. Again, as pointed out previously - IF you want a "structural" pack but don't want to load if full of cells, you just fill the rest with the "filler" material that goes between the cells. This filler basically hardens into a super-strong ceramic that is easily as strong as the cells themselves.
Yes. But since it is a complete redesign, why incorporate extra space? And use extra filler material that costs money. You have pointed out that they aren't interchageable (verified by your "sources") which means they are different sized. Same size would be interchangeable. So which is it? They kept the overall pack the same and fill it up with 4680 or they redesigned the pack?

• Funny
Reactions: bkp_duke
Yes. But since it is a complete redesign, why incorporate extra space? And use extra filler material that costs money. You have pointed out that they aren't interchageable (verified by your "sources") which means they are different sized. Same size would be interchangeable. So which is it? They kept the overall pack the same and fill it up with 4680 or they redesigned the pack?

1) filler is FAR FAR cheaper than battery cells
2) the structural pack is interchangeable with other structural packs, BUT NOT prior version packs. This seems to be a KEY DISTINCTION that people keep missing. Tesla is wedging in a 2170 pack for structure in Berlin, but they are NOT doing that for Austin, because they have a viable battery supply to use during ramp. 2170s also require more engineering to be put into a structural pack, because the structural pack is designed to remove heat from the top/bottom of the (4680) cells. The 4680 cells can transfer heat efficiently to top/bottom because of their tabless design. 2170s are TABBED cells, and do not transfer heat to top/bottom as well, and therefore need additional coolant mechanisms in place between the cells to remove the heat. Fortunately, because the 2170 cells are 10mm shorter, Tesla can wedge this stuff into a "2170 structural pack" and it still fit the new frame, but it's a more complicated (i.e. expensive) design.

Tesla seems to be massively accelerating MYLR delivery estimates. I ordered a Blue LR AWD w/ FSD on 1/15/2022 with EDD in July, and one day later ordered a MYP (same configuration, blue w/ FSD) with EDD of March 14-31. To lock in the $10k FSD price.

Today I just got a VIN for the MYP (NF393xxx) and EDD of Mar 19-Mar 23. BUT what is surprising, is the MYLR now shows an EDD of Mar 19-31 (from July).

What is going on? I emailed my SA today to put a hold on the MYP (he hasn't replied yet), as I want one from Austin. The MYLR order was the "backup" in the event Tesla canceled my MYP order (I planned to delay till Austin produced them; I'm on east coast). And now the MYLR is ALSO due to be delivered at the end of March.

Suggests something is up, hopefully this EDD change from July to end of March doesn't reflect a massive drop in demand/canceled orders.

Anyone else seeing their MYLR orders move from a summer EDD to end of March??

And I'm bummed that they are still shipping Fremont MYPs to the east coast. It's now getting close to end of Q1, and Elon said this is when the 4680 MYs were going to be released.

Tesla seems to be massively accelerating MYLR delivery estimates. I ordered a Blue LR AWD w/ FSD on 1/15/2022 with EDD in July, and one day later ordered a MYP (same configuration, blue w/ FSD) with EDD of March 14-31. To lock in the $10k FSD price.

Today I just got a VIN for the MYP (NF393xxx) and EDD of Mar 19-Mar 23. BUT what is surprising, is the MYLR now shows an EDD of Mar 19-31 (from July).

What is going on? I emailed my SA today to put a hold on the MYP (he hasn't replied yet), as I want one from Austin. The MYLR order was the "backup" in the event Tesla canceled my MYP order (I planned to delay till Austin produced them; I'm on east coast). And now the MYLR is ALSO due to be delivered at the end of March.

Suggests something is up, hopefully this EDD change from July to end of March doesn't reflect a massive drop in demand/canceled orders.

And I'm bummed that they are still shipping Fremont MYPs to the east coast. It's now getting close to end of Q1, and Elon said this is when the 4680 MYs were going to be released.
Seriously! There are august orders still waiting for cars. How do you get a vin and who is managing these rollouts at Tesla? I just don’t understand this.

Reactions: advocate8

I ordered my MYLR Black 19" on 1/30, seeing May 24 to June 21, it was August a week ago.

There will not necessarily be "extra space" with the 4680. It is a completely redesigned battery pack and structural element. The battery pack will be full, it is a structural component, it has to be full. What that full capacity is remains to be seen.
Well what I mean by extra space is they could design it to carry more capacity, it would be a rather short sighted to design it without that capability when it could be something in the future...Whether that is filler, empty space, closed off space etc, until they decide that..who knows.

Most of the EDD changes I have seen, especially with orders originated in October, 2021, are moving the dates out - from the March, 2022 time frame to mid April - mid May. Your change doesn't make any sense given what I am seeing.

Reactions: advocate8

No, they consistently cherry pick orders for max profit. Both vehicles had FSD with blue paint upgrade so you are pretty much guaranteed two spots at the front of the line.

No, they consistently cherry pick orders for max profit. Both vehicles had FSD with blue paint upgrade so you are pretty much guaranteed two spots at the front of the line.
This (FSD) might be why I got my MYLR so quickly (white with tow package). I ordered Nov. 11 with original EDD of June. On Dec. 16 I was assigned a VIN and my SA called and wanted to deliver by Dec. 20. I put it on hold until Mar. 4 because I wasn’t ready and didn’t think it would come that soon. Feb. 20th I hit the “I’m ready” button and was assigned a VIN Feb. 21 and picked it up Feb. 23. I’m also in the Bay Area, so was always going to get a Fremont car. My first Tesla, but overall surprised at the speed Of delivery.

oh, and it’s awesome, BTW.

Reactions: Threader