Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla reduced the price of the TMC to $200, so people can buy two for $400: one for the wall and another for the car. It works out cheaper than buying a TWC or generic and getting one TMC free from Tesla.

Personally, I am not a fan of using the TMC for daily charging but for those that do not care, the new Tesla deal is a pretty good one. And if it encourages people to carry a TMC in the car, even better. The 'losers' are those that want more than 32 Amps or those who make do with one TMC, or those like me who already have a wall EVSE and may take receipt of a new Tesla EV without a TMC.

Whatever. I'm much more interested in getting an updated 4680 Model Y
Actually the mobile connector that was supplied with the car was $275. Not $400, the $400 is a different charger.

This is what came with the car

This is the $400

Actually the mobile connector that was supplied with the car was $275. Not $400, the $400 is a different charger.

This is the $400
Huh? Is the charger “box” different between the two or just the connectors? How can you tell the “boxes” apart?

This is the $400
Can you swap out the 14-50 for other adapters or is it permanently connected? (If so, that seems dumb.)

Hope you are willing to never drive a Tesla. You will reject twice and Tesla will cancel your order and keep your money. Nothing on any document you sign regarding delivery mentions a charger. It’s bush league but obviously not illegal or they wouldn’t pull this without citing some shortage or supply chain issue.

My observations is people will reject Tesla's for almost anything....

Not an Austin Y? Gonna reject it!

It has an Intel CPU? Rejecting!

There is one misalignment that will take 10 minutes to fix? Rejection!

Sales person looked at me funny? Rejecting!

Look the decision to not include the mobile connector is absolute BS, but is that really the straw that breaks the camels back in terms of wanting to take delivery or not?

I am not an electrician, so going to ask. How hard is it to convert my NEMA 14-50 outlet to support a wall charger instead? New breaker and wires?

It depends which wires you have, or how many Amps you want to pull.
If you are happy with 40 Amps pull then the wires and breaker stay the same, and you configure the TWC to pull 40 Amps.

If you want the full 48 Amps the TWC can supply then you need a 60 Amp breaker and 6 AWG THHN copper wires. A 14-50 installation may have been done with 8 AWG THHN copper wires.

Reactions: DrGriz
It depends which wires you have, or how many Amps you want to pull.
If you are happy with 40 Amps pull then the wires and breaker stay the same, and you configure the TWC to pull 40 Amps.

If you want the full 48 Amps the TWC can supply then you need a 60 Amp breaker and 6 AWG THHN copper wires. A 14-50 installation may have been done with 8 AWG THHN copper wires.
I guess if I have to, I can call the electrician that installed it originally and ask him what is needed to upgrade it. I know it is a 50 amp breaker, not sure about the wiring. I’m sure he would not charge me too much to upgrade it

Worst case, I may have to borrow my Brother-In-Law’s mobile charging cable.

My observations is people will reject Tesla's for almost anything....

Not an Austin Y? Gonna reject it!

It has an Intel CPU? Rejecting!

There is one misalignment that will take 10 minutes to fix? Rejection!

Sales person looked at me funny? Rejecting!

Look the decision to not include the mobile connector is absolute BS, but is that really the straw that breaks the camels back in terms of wanting to take delivery or not?
Might be, yes. And you’re right, it isn’t, in and of itself, a huge deal. It is very much the case of the straw that breaks the camel’s back.

For me, the Tesla is a compromise. It’s a compromise of quality, fit and finish, ride comfort, cabin comfort, etc. Might not be happy about things like paying money for Homelink but OK. Install aftermarket power frunk fine. Aftermarket instrument cluster with car play, fine. Laughable floor mats, buy those too. At some point though, the list of stuff gets too long for people.

This is an electric vehicle being sold without the capability to charge it at home. Period.

For me, at this point, it wouldn’t be and isn’t about the money. Can I afford it, absolutely. But is it the straw that breaks my back on top of a whole list of compromises…probably not, but it’s got me thinking about it. Worst case is I flip the thing and go with something else.

That is not my choice, but you can certainly take that approach. The trade-offs involved:

1. Limited to 32 Amps
  2. You either do not have an EVSE in the car, or you have to disassemble/disconnect your home setup for trips if you want the option of on the road receptacle charging.
  3. You are using an EVSE daily that was engineered for occasional use.
My choices were dictated by my personal priorities, in order:
  1. Safety. Infrequent plugging/unplugging, and best thermal control
  2. No stranded EV events. For me this means that I keep an EVSE in the car
  3. Convenience
  4. 40 Amp charging
I hope the Mobile Connector is not “engineered for occasional use” because it should be engineered to be used every ~200 miles of travel…as frequent as needed.

I am not an electrician, so going to ask. How hard is it to convert my NEMA 14-50 outlet to support a wall charger instead? New breaker and wires?
It depends where your outlet is positioned. If it's too low you may need to extend wiring to position it higher. Otherwise, you can simply swap outlet with Wall connector, configure Wall connector to 50 amp (it will use 40 amp). Also, you don't need GFCI breaker for Wall connector while it's required now for the outlet.

It depends where your outlet is positioned. If it's too low you may need to extend wiring to position it higher. Otherwise, you can simply swap outlet with Wall connector, configure Wall connector to 50 amp (it will use 40 amp). Also, you don't need GFCI breaker for Wall connector while it's required now for the outlet.
Was looking on support page for some documentation. Couldn’t find wiring requirements. Outlet is about 3ft off the ground, so should be good

Was looking on support page for some documentation. Couldn’t find wiring requirements. Outlet is about 3ft off the ground, so should be good
• Maximum height (indoor and outdoor): 60 in (1.52 m)
• Recommended height: ~45 in (~1.15 m)
• Minimum outdoor height: 24 in (0.6 m)
• Minimum indoor height: 18 in (0.45 m)

The Wall connector needs to loop wire inside which may push your location lower... Just to keep it in mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz
Elon was not pushing the TWC so much as pushing the idea that your charging setup is best arranged before the car arrives.

As for TWC vs TMC vs generic EVSE, there are pros and cons to each choice, and lots of discussion in the forum by those who think it important to recommend their personal choice.

• Tesla WC Vs MC
    Here is a summary of the advantages/disadvantages a wall connector would give you:
    • Cost: About $500 + installation
    • Up to 16 Amps faster charging for models that support 48 Amps (about 7.5 - 15 miles range per hour)
    • The mobile EVSE can be left in the car
    • The wall connector is a bigger box with better heat dissipation. It will last longer in a frequent use case
    • The wall connector has wi-fi that may be integrated into the Tesla app in the future. This is not much of an advantage given the excellent comm between the car and Tesla App already
Too bad we don’t all live in single family homes that we own. The wall connector just isn’t possible for many.

That is not my choice, but you can certainly take that approach. The trade-offs involved:

1. Limited to 32 Amps
  2. You either do not have an EVSE in the car, or you have to disassemble/disconnect your home setup for trips if you want the option of on the road receptacle charging.
  3. You are using an EVSE daily that was engineered for occasional use.
My choices were dictated by my personal priorities, in order:
  1. Safety. Infrequent plugging/unplugging, and best thermal control
  2. No stranded EV events. For me this means that I keep an EVSE in the car
  3. Convenience
  4. 40 Amp charging
The mobile connector was not “engineered for occasional use”, that’s ridiculous.

Reactions: Tim42069