Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y P vs Rivian R1S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ahhh...Teslas biggest fanboy has made an appearance @WhiteWi.

The Rivian is EPA estimated at 316 miles while the X, with 7 seats is rated at 347 miles. Is paying more than $1,000 per EPA estimated mile worth buying the X for? Only you can make that decision.

The R1S has estimated deliveries in January 2022. The Model X is November 2022. Both are estimated, so as usual they can change.

I'm not saying the X is a bad vehicle and I'm not saying the R1S is a great vehicle. But if you have comparable vehicles in the same class, one is $35K more than the other. It's fair to say that the one that costs $35K better be a hell of a lot better or it won't sell as well.

Oh yeah, I forgot the R1S has quad motors for the $35K less too.

True EV fans should embrace competition, it will just push Tesla to be better and bring their prices down. I'm not sure why any consumer would hate that.
I don’t believe the Rivian delivery estimate, especially for the R1S delivery of 2022 since they are making 2 cars a day and that is not even R1S.

I don’t believe the Rivian delivery estimate, especially for the R1S delivery of 2022 since they are making 2 cars a day and that is not even R1S.
I agree...Its possible that they will start making a few deliveries early 2022 but I believe they even said that it will take to the end of 2023 to finish all pre-orders. I would expect a delay on that which is why I don't think my R1S order would be made until 2024 at the earliest.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Yup this. I'm pretty excited about Rivian, but if getting your big electric SUV soon is your goal, I would bet money a Model X order placed right now will get filled well before an R1S order placed now.

The Rivian is EPA estimated at 316 miles while the X, with 7 seats is rated at 347 miles. Is paying more than $1,000 per EPA estimated mile worth buying the X for? Only you can make that decision.

The R1S has estimated deliveries in January 2022. The Model X is November 2022. Both are estimated, so as usual they can change.

I'm not saying the X is a bad vehicle and I'm not saying the R1S is a great vehicle. But if you have comparable vehicles in the same class, one is $35K more than the other. It's fair to say that the one that costs $35K better be a hell of a lot better or it won't sell as well.

True EV fans should embrace competition, it will just push Tesla to be better and bring their prices down. I'm not sure why any consumer would hate that.

Even this is overcomplicating it. Model X is rated at ~330 miles, but gets <300 miles in real world testing. R1T is rated at 315 miles and gets a couple miles more in real world testing. Tesla has always been very aggressive with their stated EPA range and it's starting to show vs. other automakers. Another example, we have an ID4 as well as a MYP--their real world range is very, very close despite the MY being rated to >50 more miles.

I was taking about charging network.

Even this is overcomplicating it. Model X is rated at ~330 miles, but gets <300 miles in real world testing. R1T is rated at 315 miles and gets a couple miles more in real world testing. Tesla has always been very aggressive with their stated EPA range and it's starting to show vs. other automakers. Another example, we have an ID4 as well as a MYP--their real world range is very, very close despite the MY being rated to >50 more miles.
When i receive my MYP, I’m expecting my average range to be around 200 or so miles since I drive hard as it was designed.

I don’t understand people who pay premium for the “sport/performance” model and drive like 100 year old person.

• Funny
When i receive my MYP, I’m expecting my average range to be around 200 or so miles since I drive hard as it was designed.

I don’t understand people who pay premium for the “sport/performance” model and drive like 100 year old person.
Cause most people are 100 years old that buy high end expensive sports cars, well at least that's the way it was before the tech industry started spitting out millionaires in their 20s.

Haha you do realize that the more competition that comes out the better Tesla will be forced to be. I don't know why you are so negative to anything that references any brand other than Tesla or honest discussion about brands coming on to the market. You are a very small minded individual.

If you want to pay $105K just for access to the Supercharger network, go for it.
Who said anything about not liking competition? I like what Rivian offers just skeptical about what they can actually make right now. GM is a joke as well as Ford. Lucid is scammy. Who else do we have? VW is meh.

This is rather misinformed. You cannot just take EPA range for granted. You have to look at the size of the actual batteries and in this case the Rivians use 135kwh vs 100kwh for the Model X and 82kwh for the Model Y. The efficiency difference is huge and it only gets worse when compared to something more in the R1T/R1S price range like the Model Y. The Rivian is an ev guzzler though it does bring a lot to the table. A Rivian owner is gonna spend a bit more in time and cost to charge their vehicles. This only gets worse when one has to charge on the road.

Can’t really compare the Y to R1s in general, totally different class. I saw one on the road yesterday, without camouflage either, boxy and large, like Yukon size, it can absolutely fit and haul tons of stuff, way more than the y or even the x. Driving it will probably take some time getting used to (I’ve driven a suburban 2500, it’s weird if not used to driving something that large), but I also don’t say, boy, this suburban should be getting better mileage…

Reactions: thesmokingman
Can’t really compare the Y to R1s in general, totally different class. I saw one on the road yesterday, without camouflage either, boxy and large, like Yukon size, it can absolutely fit and haul tons of stuff, way more than the y or even the x. Driving it will probably take some time getting used to (I’ve driven a suburban 2500, it’s weird if not used to driving something that large), but I also don’t say, boy, this suburban should be getting better mileage…
Exactly, R1S is a lot bigger than the Y and slightly larger than the X (length and width) but can probably carry a lot more stuff inside compared to the X due to the shape. However, its not nearly the size of a Suburban...Suburban is about 26" longer which is more like a Pickup truck length.

I like the look of the R1S a lot, however, someone on this forum pointed out that it looked like a Ford Flex and now I can't get that out of my head when I look at one now. lol

Is Rivian even delivering vehicles right now?
Real world testing of an SUV which isn’t available for sale?

I mean… at least compare actual apples to actual apples, not actual apple’s to pre-release apples.

Right now the biggest difference between the R1S and the Model X is the Model X is more than just a prototype.

Who said anything about not liking competition? I like what Rivian offers just skeptical about what they can actually make right now. GM is a joke as well as Ford. Lucid is scammy. Who else do we have? VW is meh.
Is Rivian actually delivering any vehicles to customers at the moment?

We know they delivered a few, but I thought they told their Founders Edition buyers to chill until February.

Is Rivian even delivering vehicles right now?

Real world testing of an SUV which isn’t available for sale?

I mean… at least compare actual apples to actual apples, not actual apple’s to pre-release apples.

Right now the biggest difference between the R1S and the Model X is the Model X is more than just a prototype.

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi and Ogre
Weird, I don’t see the R1S on that list. Maybe because it doesn’t exist as anything other than a prototype or two?

Even the R1T is still in hand-built 1 off territory.

I think that goes back to @240W analogy. The R1S is a big SUV, you don't buy one for efficiency. Also the R1S is a quad motor, which may lead to it not being as efficient.
Now if you could buy a Chevy Suburban for less than a Chevy Tahoe, which one would you buy. The R1S is bigger, but less efficient and costs $70k. The X is a little smaller and more energy efficient, but costs $105K. On paper both have about the same range, it's just one is more efficient than the other.